Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Best method of stopping a spring scratching the inside of your forks
  • robhughes
    Free Member

Doing a coil conversion to my RTL Ti revs thanks to on ones £4 sektor springs.
    What’s the best method.?Iv’e been trying to find some kind of silicon rubber heat shrink to go between the heat shrink that comes on them already.Don’t want to totally heat shrink it all as normal stuff is quite hard when shrunk down.Iv’e hear acetate tape being used as well????
    link
    What do you think all.
    Cheers.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Air Spring

robhughes
    Free Member

Yer i’m fitting a coil air spring mike.Top answer there and well done you.

Mowgli
    Free Member

Don’t be tempted to use a short section of road bike inner tube. The oil dissolves it 🙄

ThePinkster

A long time ago when I used to use coil forks I stretched a 2″ piece of road inner tube over the coil in the middle. Seemed to work OK.

Never had any issues with oil dissolving it but it was a long time ago so perhaps oils have changed.

philjunior
    Free Member

Based on what coil sprung forks use – clean springs, possibly sections of heat shrink, and a bit of oil/grease.

If everything is clean and lubed in there, it shouldn’t cause a problem.

robhughes
    Free Member

Iv’e already ruled out the inner tube method.I have a tube of the red military grease that rockshox use that’s really thick.Small sections of heat shrink sounds good phil.
    Thing is if i want to swap them back to dual air iv’e got to make sure then inside stays mint.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Don’t crc send a sheet of acetate to go inside the fork leg with their steel spring conversation kits?

andyl
    Free Member

You either want soft polyurethane tube or maybe some silicone.

You could either line the inside of the tube (preferred)

Fit it over the spring (might restrict it)

Feed a narrow tube over the spring wire if it doesnt fully compress.

If you can’t get a suitable tube you could always cut a sheet to fit and slide it up into the bore with a slight overlap. PTFE could also work with this method.

robhughes
    Free Member

Acetate sheet.sounds good.

teethgrinder

I used a 2L pop bottle. Cut the top and bottom off, cut up the middle and make a strip just wide enough to overlap. Grease the spring.

I did that on my Springinator conversion on my Pikes. When I converted my Revs from Dual Air to coil U-turn, I did nowt as I wasn’t going to return to air.

Edit: I surely don’t need to tell you it’s a pop bottle with straight sides…

Rubber_Buccaneer
    robhughes
    Free Member

RB.You cleaver boy. 😆

robhughes
    Free Member

I surely don’t need to tell you it’s a pop bottle with straight sides

Brilliant.. 🙂
    Teethgrinder.I saw that and top work.
    250 micron sheet of acetate bought for the grand sum of 99p delivered.If it looks a bit flimsy then pop bottle it is.
    Cheers gang and top work as always.

teethgrinder

😀

Just to say, spring performance>air performance.

Loving the Spring Pikes so far, and I think the BFe appreciates being able to be anywhere between 100mm and 150mm on the Revs.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Best method of stopping a spring scratching the inside of your forks’ is closed to new replies.