• This topic has 29 replies, 22 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by tang.
Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Best Merino socks?
  • FunkyDunc
    Free Member

As above really which are the best Merino socks ?

Ta

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Depends what you deem “best”. I love my ones from Embers, http://www.embersmerino.com worth every penny, different lengths, nice texture, soft and had them for a good few years now. I’m sure otherws will come along shortly to suggest cheaper options they find best!

noteeth
    Free Member

Loved my smartwool ones, though haven’t found any recently.

ton

i use smartwool. normal thickness for work, and hiker for biking duties.
    pretty pricey but worth it.

tollah
    Free Member

Rapha ones are my favourites by a long shot.

PMK2060

I like the Garburn merino socks from http://www.bikemaps.co.uk. They wear out pretty quickly but i find them warm & comfortable. I got 2 pairs of the Endura Baa Baa socks for Xmas which are also ok but i still prefer the Garburn’s.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

woolie boolie for winter – warm, tough, comfy
    wooleator for warmer days, and work (prefer them to my Raphas)

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

woolie boolie for winter – warm, tough, comfy
    wooleator for warmer days

+1

Best socks ever.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

tollah – Member
    Rapha ones are my favourites by a long shot.

Gotta agree with you there…

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Can certainly confirm the Embers socks definately DO NOT wear out!

BigJohn

Rapha summer socks under Rapha winter socks for me. Toasty.

singlespeedstu

I used to think woolie boollies were nice.
    Then i got some rapha winter merinos.
    I don’t use the woolie boolies any more.

fontmoss
    Free Member

I was going to get some rapha merino socks but read another thread on here talking about how they wear out quickly? Haters?

MSP

I used to swear by woolie boolies for winter and the woolerators for summer. But I think the quality has dropped from few years back.

You also have to remember that merino isn’t that good when wet, its still a wool, holds water and stays damp for a long time compared to man made fibres, a lot of the claims made are just fantasy marketing BS.

Nowadays I use thesemost of the time, and some nice thick brigedale walking socks for when it gets really cold. They blow the likes of defeet and smartwool away for quality.

fontmoss
    Free Member

Wool should still stay warm when wet though? which is why I prefer it to a synthetic which never really dry when used in layers in my experience (im pretty sweaty)

MSP

Wool should still stay warm when wet though?

Only to a certain extent, it traps more air than cotton, merino traps more air than standard wool, but water still transmits heat away from the body. So say a cotton sock would lose 80% of its thermal properties when wet, normal wool 60%, merino 50% a well made merino/man made fibres only 25%. (figures for example can’t remember accurate percentages)

When you also take into account the time it takes natural fibres to dry, they just aren’t that effective.

Although, they do tend to feel nicer and not pong as much.

stuartddancer
    Free Member

Ice breaker mid weight hikers, as big a deal as when you first tried sealskinz.They also come through wash after wash without tranforming from £20 luxurys to market specials.

thepodge
    Free Member

I have garburn ones, maybe not the best technically but a good trade off with value for money

ebygomm
    Free Member

Timberland stores sell Smartwool socks, they seem to have disappeared from the outdoor retailers.

benjbish

+1 for Rapha

el-Gato-Negro
    Free Member

I’m a sock nerd –

All my socks are Bridgedale & Icebreaker (merino or not, who cares), nothing else.

The best sock drawer I know. 😛

plus-one

Costco do Kirkland hiking socks £12ish for 4 pairs..85% merino wool
    Blinding value great for cycling/walking/I’ve worn mine to death and
    Still going strong 🙂

argyle
    Free Member

Teko socks all the way. I have a biased view though!

Merino can be made more durable by ‘plating’ with nylon in high wear areas or blending with synthetics. It’s all about balance

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Smartwool. Available in Snow and Rock, or Ellis Brigham. Awesome. I have a drawer pretty much full of them! Ski, walk, bike and just wear everyday.

tang
    Free Member

I’m sponsored by keen and their sock range is fantastic, all merino or merino mix and the cycle specific ‘spring water’ are perfect for summer/spring. Great fit(foot specific a gimmic that works) They do various weights and lengths. I’ve got about 20 pairs!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I’m sponsored by keen and their sock range is fantastic, all merino or merino mix and the cycle specific ‘spring water’ are perfect for summer/spring. Great fit(foot specific a gimmic that works) They do various weights and lengths. I’ve got about 20 pairs! anything else I say is very, very biased.

FTFY.

montylikesbeer

chocolate fish

Above, they are ace

argyle
    Free Member

L&R specific foot fit is snake oil

MSP

Snake oil you say! hmmmmmm will it cure all that ails me?

tang
    Free Member

Sorry but last time I didn’t big up my sponsor on a sock thread njee was not impressed. That ones for you njee 😉
    Amazingly with high arched feet a sock that hugs the instep is more comfortable, I thought it was snake oil when I got them.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Best Merino socks?’ is closed to new replies.