Viewing 35 posts - 161 through 195 (of 195 total)
  • Best "little tricks" that you know.
  • maccruiskeen

don’t let your dog drink sea water on a crowded beach in Cornwall (it creates a reaction similar to mentos and coca-cola (from the back end)). Apparently most parents fail to see the funny side of the jet propelled Labrador spraying everyone in sight.

Similarly don’t let your dog eat several feet of seaweed holdfast just before you and several other families crowd onto a tiny boat back from the Farne Islands. Purple foaming puke fountain.

Clobber
    Free Member

^^ My dog does this to equally “hilarious” results, pretty difficult (impossible) to bag-up. I didn’t think animals drank sea water…

theotherjonv

If it’s a labrador, if it can get it in its mouth it’ll try to eat it.

benp1

Never seen my lab drink sea water – good to know for future information!

barrytheflea
    Free Member

If you’re not gonna use your hydration pack for a while, a splash of antibacterial mouthwash will stop beasties and black fur growing in the bladder

AndyRT
    Free Member

Purple foaming puke fountain is a phrase I will try to fit into as many days as I can from this day forward.

boblo
    Free Member

dirtydog – Member
    When removing or refitting tyres always start opposite the valve and finish at the valve.

Now that is interesting and a subject of heated debate in the club I ride with. Why do you say do it like that?

Stoner
    Free Member

because the valve sits high in the rim-well and takes up space that the beads need in order to give slack to get over the rim on the opposite side. If you start with the beads sat deep in the well on the other side from the valve, by the time you get round to the valve side, you have plenty of slack to slip the bead over the rim.

nickjb
    Free Member

When removing or refitting tyres always start opposite the valve and finish at the valve.

That doesn’t make sense. You start at the valve when removing so the tyre can sit well off the bead at the opposite side. Start opposite the valve when fitting so the tyre is well off the bead at the end.

neilthewheel

Purple foaming puke fountain

I have their first album.

akira

If you start opposite the valve and finish at the valve, haven’t you only gone half way round?

allthepies
    Free Member

Have you ever fitted a tyre ? 😀

akira

I tend to have to start and finish at the same bit to go all the way round. 😛

neilthewheel

That doesn’t make sense. You start at the valve when removing so the tyre can sit well off the bead at the opposite side. Start opposite the valve when fitting so the tyre is well off the bead at the end.

You’re making the mistake of thinking that the first stage of the process is getting the tyre lever under. First you want to gather all the slack at the valve, and you do that by starting opposite the valve.

tomd
    Free Member

Use the fuel filler cap to hold the pump trigger open when you’re filling up your car.
    I filled the car up today and remembered this, BRILLIANT!

There’s a reason your meant to keep holding it.

sweepy
    Free Member

BLOODY HELL! she was quite relaxed about it all, putting the nozzle in the bucket and that, i’d have been on my trotters quick sharp.

dirtydog
    Free Member

You’re making the mistake of thinking that the first stage of the process is getting the tyre lever under. First you want to gather all the slack at the valve, and you do that by starting opposite the valve.

Yes, this.

and

because the valve sits high in the rim-well and takes up space that the beads need in order to give slack to get over the rim on the opposite side. If you start with the beads sat deep in the well on the other side from the valve, by the time you get round to the valve side, you have plenty of slack to slip the bead over the rim.

Your welcome. 😀

Junkyard
    Free Member

BLOODY HELL! she was quite relaxed about it all

I think that means failed to work out just how dangerous the situation was.

rogermoore

Let toast cool before buttering when making soldiers for boiled eggs so it stays firmer for dipping.
    RM.

StefMcDef
    Free Member

Right, wee trick people and rice-cooking ninjas in particular – how do you cook the thin rice noodles that go in Singapore noodles without them turning to am un-noodly, porridgy mush?

Asking for a friend.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Stand on the toilet roll to ovalise it before putting it on the dispenser . It will make it harder to spin and stop your kids using lots more paper than they need .

theotherjonv

A bit like that petrol one – if you suffer from static electricity getting out of your car, hold on to the edge of the roof as you put your feet on the floor and then you ground out without getting a static shock.

boblo
    Free Member

Tyres/valves. Is not convinced. I start opposite the valve when I removing as it’s usually the slackest bit but start at the valve when fitting but push the valve as far into the rim bed as a it’ll go without losing it. I do that cos I want the lumpy bit at the valve base to seat properly inside the conditional comment tyre beads. No levers used for fitting of course.

So I’m 50/50. 🙂

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Right, wee trick people and rice-cooking ninjas in particular – how do you cook the thin rice noodles that go in Singapore noodles without them turning

You don’t really cook them do you? Just pour over boiling water for a few minutes till tender, then add to the dish. (Less time if adding to something else hot, a minute more if adding to the plate, then pouring soup/sauce/stir fry over.)

scotroutes

Tyres – start at the valve when either fitting or moving. The valve takes up space in the tyre bead that you’ll need if the tyres are tight. If you’re doing it right you’ll not need levers at all.

dustytrails

If you can’t remember which way your pedal threads go….

With the bike standing upright, put the pedal spanner on the pedal. If you turn the spanner towards the back of the bike, you’ll loosen it. Remember “Back Off” and you’ll be reet

Or just remember “right is right & left is left” (hand thread)!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

A single sheet of loo roll placed atop the water just prior to dropping the kids off at the pool – Prevents a nasty brown mark below the water line when a particularly large dreadnought ‘runs aground’.

GrahamS

Someone on here described that as “lilies on the pond” 😆

giant_scum
    Free Member

I incorporate the deployment of loo roll down the lavvy with a quick wipe round of the toilet seat, also reduces the likelihood of splashback when launching a torpedo!

perchypanther
    Free Member

also reduces the likelihood of splashback when launching a torpedo!

Aaah! Neptunes Kiss!

benp1

Nobeerinfridge – correct, though I thought that was common knowledge

I like the ovalising toilet roll for kids idea, that’s good

For cooking noodles like that you can just stand them in water to hydrate them, then ‘cook’/heat them in whatever they’re going with

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Neptunes kiss, brilliant!

I’ve no doubt that it is common knowledge Ben, it’s just that I very rarely ever get to type the word ‘dreadnought’. It’s the simple things..

perchypanther
    Free Member

Neptunes kiss, brilliant!

Shamelessly nicked from thegreatape of this parish.

niksnr
    Free Member

Fluffy Rice – cover rice with exactly double amount of water plus a tbs. boil for seven minutes. Do not stir. After 7 minutes take of heat and put lid on for another 7 minutes. Do not stir. After 7 minutes has passed rice should be cooked/steamed. Stir through. No need to strain.

Edit – just seen earlier rice post! 🙄

niksnr
    Free Member

Ok. Something I picked up last week. When checking a u-bend because sink is blocked make sure you don’t empty contents of the sink after you have removed said u-bend! 😳

Viewing 35 posts - 161 through 195 (of 195 total)

The topic ‘Best "little tricks" that you know.’ is closed to new replies.