Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • best laid plans…….. ;o(
  • ton

just been reading the post about travelling long term on a bike and camping.

sometimes life and other peoples problems get in the way.

rough plan,
    my wife is 55 in October. can retire with a good package. 38 years in local government.
    sell our house and buy a smaller terrace house to rent out whilst travelling.
    so a good lump to travel with, 80k or so, and a monthly amount from rental.
    plan was to start with Europe, all of it, loads we have not seen, might take a year maybe 2.
    we might not like it, but have a house to come back to. hopefully we would love it and keep travelling.

my 80 year old mother is not very well, bowel trouble and dementia.
    my wifes 78 year old dad had a stoke, now mobile, but has had to stop driving.
    my daughter and her fella lost their rental place so now back with us in the house I want to sell.

planning for stuff is brilliant.
    putting plans into action can be a proper bastard.

NewRetroTom

Arse. That sucks 🙁

Hope you still manage to get some kind of adventure out of it.

I think this is why it’s so important to just seize the moment and go when you have a chance. 90+% of plans that people make must never get put into action due to life getting in the way.

fossy

Damn,

Hopefully this won’t be forever. Think of it as a timing delay, and get a couple of weeks away.

My MIL has a habit of falling ill just before we go on holiday. 2 years ago was one, and the SIL kept saying ‘you might have to cut your holiday short if she dies’. MIL is still here !

kcal

I’d agree with @NewRetroTom – seize the moment.
    I was in some trepidation of heading to SSEC18 last year – various anxieties. Trip was a blast, emt (again) so many lovely folk, ride across Holland with mates, catch up, drink beer, camp, ride back. Not a big adventure in scheme of things but what a glow you get from doing it.

My mum had been on a downward spiral for last couple of years, in sheltered housing. Kind of thought of going away on a family catch up but conversely never really committed as it would mean leaving mum. She died a little under a year ago, so we set thing sin motion and will be catch up with my extended South Pacific family in a little under 6 weeks.

ElShalimo

Or…. rent the new smaller house to your Daughter & bloke whilst you’re away.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Beaten to it, my initial thoughts exactly, you get known tenants while you tour… Albeit your dilemma will be what to set rent at, lower means you help family save deposit, higher means more income for you.

Esme
    Free Member

Renting to Miss T might be problematic, if they’d be claiming Housing Benefit . . . but Mrs T probably knows more about this than we do!

tjagain

I have similar plans and hope my parents stay well for their own sake so I can execute those plans so I feel for you. External factors buggering up your plans is never nice.

singletrackmind

Don’t rent to your daughter. Far too easy to divrtt
    divert the housing benefit to cars, fags, phones, booze, clothes, holidays, pets etc. It’s OK dad won’t mind f I miss a few months of rent… Ummm
    Buy a camper van, bikes on the back, head south, aim to be away for 6 months and home for 6 months. You could spend a decade doing this and not leave Europe and there still would be places to see

matt_outandabout

That’s tough ton, especially parents.

I’m of the view that you need to be clear to daughter and fella that you plan on going, and that means they may be either kicked out our having to rent your new place at market rates. I know that’s tough, and I’m in the luxurious position of not being in the situation.

Seize the moment as soon as it arises.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Don’t rent to your daughter. Far too easy to divrtt
    divert the housing benefit to cars, fags, phones, booze, clothes, holidays, pets etc. It’s OK dad won’t mind f I miss a few months of rent… Ummm

That’s a lot of assumptions in one place.

Not everyone renting is a benefits bum.

HTH

ton

daughter and her fella both work. but i wont be renting to them.
    a friend does this for his son, and it seems to be far too much hassle. they know that the house is going on the market, and once it does and sells, they will be out i am afraid.

just frustrating when you are chomping at the bit.

matt_outandabout

It is frustrating – especially as you had things lining up in the near future for it all.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘best laid plans…….. ;o(’ is closed to new replies.