Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Best knee protection- any 'you don't know its there'?
  • hora
    Free Member

I have a really old set of Roach (or Raceface) whatever they were called originally pads however they are overkill. Is there anything affective yet you don’t really notice them out there???????????

bigjim

I just got used to my kyle strait’s, don’t notice them except for when its hot.

Trimix
    Free Member

Will you notice them when you land on a rock ?

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Been using 661 Evo’s for a couple of years. Not cheap but I’ve used them on 6+ hour rides with no problems. Biggest thing is they are not made of neoprene so do not get too hot or itchy. They use some material in the padding that is soft, but immediately goes hard on impact.

Stopadoodledoo
    Free Member

Yep, 661’s are comfy enough to ride in all day – I use mine all winter as it keeps my knackered knee warmer – the only time you really notice them is if you are wearing 3/4 length shorts which are narrow around the knee, and that’s more the shorts pulling than the pads. Plus, mine are the old (and bulkier) ones.

Oh, and chuck them in the washing machine once a month; mud can build up on the inside and rub your skin away.

wwaswas

Very pleased with my POC’s – they are warmer than ‘nothing’ (which is good at this time of year) but they are unnoticeable when pedalling.

hora
    Free Member

Will you notice them when you land on a rock

Funnily enough I have a very swollen knee at the moment 🙁

The Evo’s look good. I looked at some Kyle Straits before and they look like you have pillows on your knees!

Question on the Evo’s- are they biggish impact then effectively bin due to the bonding of the matter inside?

Lifer
    Free Member

661 Tomcats here, had not problems with them moving around/getting too hot.

big_scot_nanny

661 evos here, only been wearing them recently and found them totally unnoticeable when riding. 4hr rides are the longest so far. like them! 😀

HAve a feeling they may be a bit hot in the summer though. YMMV

Kev

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Fox Launch Pro pads are worth a try.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I dont notice any knee pads once I am out – try pedalling harder so the only thing you can feel is the burning sensation in your lungs 😉
    Kyle straits are great for this but I can also use full knee and shin ones all day long without issue

hora
    Free Member

Fox Launch Pro pads are worth a try.

Google says no one stocks them anymore

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Alpine Bikes have them reduced to £35 in their online shop (link). They’re £30 in their shops and the one at Innerleithen has a basket full of them, just in case you’re planning a GT/Inners trip any time soon.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Question on the Evo’s- are they biggish impact then effectively bin due to the bonding of the matter inside?

IIRC, no. I wouldn’t have bought them if that had been the case. Top tip – try before you buy as they come in 3 different sizes and you definitely want to get the right ones to make sure they stay in place but without being too tight

hora
    Free Member

Tried on the large Kyle strait ones yesterday in Evans but I bawked at the £50 price.

Stopadoodledoo
    Free Member

If you want comfort and protection Hora, you’re going to have to pay for it. Anyway, they are cheaper on CRC.

Knowing you though, you’ll get something like Brand X things that will be far too hot and move out of the way when you crash, because they are 20 quid cheaper. Freak.

sweepy
    Free Member

descent gear

I got mine here for cheaper. Good service, no connection etc.
    they reckon theyve got the fox ones too

hora
    Free Member

Knowing you though, you’ll get something like Brand X things that will be far too hot and move out of the way when you crash, because they are 20 quid cheaper. Freak.

You know me too well. This time I want the best for the price hence I’m not using those old Raceface pads.

scottidog
    Free Member

I’ve got the Kyle Straits and think they’re brilliant. They stay put in a crash and the additional foam bits above and to the side of the main cup give excellent protection. They are barely noticable and don’t fall down when pedalling. Also the new colour in black with purple trim look ace!

RustyMac

Hora

I ordered my kyle straits from here

http://www.discountcyclesdirect.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=420&products_id=10867

well worth the investment in my oppinion

chakaping
    Free Member

Fox Launch Pros +1

Bulky but I still don’t notice they’re there, even on long XC rides.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

what about elbow pads?

jam-bo

POC are the best I’ve tried and I’ve tried most.

some cheap alpinestars ones on CRC at the moment that look pretty tidy.

Roblilly
    Free Member

Kyle straits for me too…I do know they are there and with dodgy knees – thats a good feeling!

binners

If you’re not doing anything too gnarly… and lets face it, its you!… then the 661 Veggies should suffice.

I like mine. Unobtrusive, not sweaty, don’t fall down. The opposite of you when you think about it really 😛

wishiwascalledsteve

Only fair to mention the Troy Lee Designs knee pads, prefer them to the 661’s. They’re slightly more bulky due to the padding being more rectangular. But the material they’re made of is more durable and they seem to stay put better than the 661’s…Well they do on my knees.

hora
    Free Member

Binners- you only wear them so your knees don’t get sore for your customers 😉

Ordered Cyan Straits 😀

Worryingly the Evo review on bikeradar said ‘not good for rocks’- exactly where I bloody need them to work best.

Ta guys.

Digby

I’ve had the Kyle Straits and now use a pair of POC knee pads. Both are absolutely fine for all day riding apart from the odd really hot sweaty summers day [remember them?]

Both have also saved the skin on my knees on numerous occasions and keep your knees warm in winter! The newer POCs have protection on the side of the knee.

… but then I drive a Peugeot Partner and also have an Orange Mountain Bike so you might not value my opinion! 😆

Northwind

Love my Kyle Straits, I’ve run one set into the ground, I wear them basically every ride and though I doubt they’ve saved my kneecaps from being smashed I guarantee they’ve saved me ruined rides and limps and pain. All-day comfy, not too hot, not at all chafey if they fit right and you keep them clean… Good side protection too, which is often forgotten. You’ll know they’re there, you just probably won’t care, they’re about as intrusive as a tshirt.

The Fox Launch are very similiar, so similiar in fact that you can bet money in Fox’s Top Sekrit Lab there’s a pile of cut up Kyle Straits 😉

hora – Member

“Tried on the large Kyle strait ones yesterday in Evans but I bawked at the £50 price.”

So get them somewhere that they’re priced correctly?

jam-bo

Ordered Cyan Straits

I would have saved yourself some cash and got these:
    alpinestars

hora
    Free Member

I would have saved yourself some cash and got these:
    alpinestars

Darn those are UGLY

Orange Mountain Bike

I too own a orange mountain bike 8)

toys19
    Free Member

I’ve got kyle straits, love them, comfy, forget they are their apart form the odd time when they slip or ride down, but that only happens if I don’t tension the straps properly.

Jamie
    Free Member

Darn those are UGLY

….we cannot have that now can we 🙄

racing_ralph
    Free Member

Anyone know how the alpinestars size up in comparison to kyle straits?

takisawa2

I attach a pair of car-air bag modules to my knees.

hora
    Free Member

Hopefully the right way round? 😆

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

The kyle slims looks fine.

I’ll get them when my Straits wear out (the tend to catch on the cable guides of my HT frame.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

I wear my 661 evos on my road bike

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Best knee protection- any 'you don't know its there'?’ is closed to new replies.