Best hydration packs/bladders?

• This topic has 21 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by  tdog.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Best hydration packs/bladders?
  • jayx2a

Currenlty got an Evoc Stage 6L and although the bag for the most part is ok, I find the bladder a bit average.

Its giving off bad flavour, the seal leaks a little and the mouth piece is not the easiest to use.

So either thinking of a new bladder or new pack entirely.

Anyone got any bladder recommendations? Need to have a central hoop at the top and probably still need to be 2L, although 2.5L might work.

If not – what bags are everyone running?

Premier Icon rossburton
    Subscriber

Osprey bags are pretty epic and their bladders are available on their own.

Premier Icon jimdubleyou
    Subscriber

+1 for Osprey bladder – mine has a solid back which works well.

I’ve had various things over the years but have always found Camelbak to the best. Bladders by themselves are really expensive though worth trying on eBay.

jayx2a

I think old Osprey ones had the solid backs – new ones do not.

Will have a look at their bags too!

I think it depends on what you need for the rides you do :/

I recently went from a Deuter (with a Camelback bladder) to a EVOC (with a Camelback bladder) something 10L and then sold that on and bought the EVOC 20L Enduro thing (had great storage plus good back protector etc for me) and that uses said Camelback bladder but I did notice it had a pinhole so fixed with a stick on patch.

My riding partner has a Osprey and swears by it and my older Camelback Mule did a good job but wasn’t made particularly well.

James

Premier Icon markoc1984
    Subscriber

Some of the new Osprey range still have the solid back, I bought a replacement a month ago and it has a solid back. I think it’s 2 and 3 have solid backs, and 1.5 and 2.5 have soft backs.

mikewsmith

Uswe packs not a fan of the bladder though

Premier Icon sparksmcguff
    Subscriber

Osprey. Just work very well. Good quality plastics too so can stand a degree of misuse/abuse. Bladders available fairly widely.

Premier Icon winston
    Subscriber

Used a few brands over the years but Camelbak has always worked well for me. Currently rocking a Skyline most rides which hits the sweet spot of size, comfort and very importantly, bladder accessibility. Also use an older Octane for shorter rides and running. The bladders just seem to last well and don’t taste bad.

mikewsmith

The bladders just seem to last well and don’t taste bad.

I’ll be putting a camelback bladder in my USWE, it’s the best bladder but the packs are just not quite there these days

guandax

My Camelback Mule is 8 years old and still going strong. Gets three rides a week in all weathers. Tough as old boots.

Premier Icon ceept
    Subscriber

I’ve been using an “aquatic way” bladder from Amazon for the last year or so.

Its camelbak compatible (big opening), the tube removes from the bladder, which makes filling without getting the bag wet painless, and the bite valve is very similar to the camelbak one. I’ll buy the same again when I need another one.

Edit.. Just looked, on amazon at least, they have rocketed in price. My 2l one was £8 in December 2017.

Premier Icon garage-dweller
    Subscriber

I’d avoid the budget option of the Decathlon bladders.

<span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”>The main bladder is ok but the new style bite valves on the two I bought are awful in use and leak constantly.</span>

I’m going back to Camelback based on above.

Used several reservoirs and stuck with Hydrapack.

Camelbaks are good, but cleaning and drying is awkward.

Osprey hard was uncomfortable (but is a brilliant idea).

Hydrapaks don’t seem quite as well made as the newer Camelbaks (the better half uses a Camelbak), but the dry bag-esque closure makes them really, really easy to fill, clean and dry (and you can roll down a 3L res to fit space designed for a 2L bag). The detachable hose mechanism has varied in quality a little on the few I’ve had, but on the whole it works well; I also remove the bite valve after use to let both the valve and the hose dry. All in all it’s by far the easiest res to use I’ve come across.

jayx2a

I believe the Evoc packs are made by Hydrapack too.

Premier Icon tuskaloosa
    Subscriber

EVAns is having a flash sale on Ospreys end today 20% off using OSPREY20

I believe the Evoc packs are made by Hydrapack too.

<div>Could well be. They make them for Dakine and Ogio too.</div>

Premier Icon benp1
    Subscriber

Camelbak make the best bladders in my view. Have used one for years, although I rarely use a bladder these days

Often use a pack, been using one for bikepacking recently – EVOC FR Enduro Blackline in the main

Premier Icon kimbers
    Subscriber

I like the hydrapak closure, but camelback bladders are tougher ime.

Endura singletrack backpack is brilliant , light, stays in place, just enough space, tool roll & takes a back protector

Used several reservoirs and stuck with Hydrapack.

Camelbaks are good, but cleaning and drying is awkward.

I can see why people like the hydrapak bladders.  The one I borrowed for Ard Rock had got a pin hole leak and put a litre of sticky SIS down my back.  I’ve never had a Camelbak leak from the bladder (yes from seals).

Agree Camelbaks are a pain to dry but we just rinse ours with hot water and stick in the freezer.  They get disinfected before (if we remember) and after a week away when they’ve not been refrigerated.

tdog

Yes EVOC use HydraPak bladders which I find to be the best.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Best hydration packs/bladders?’ is closed to new replies.