Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 92 total)
  • Best hardtail frame for DH type riding?
  • Fortunateson09
    Free Member

I’d normally be recommending an Evil Sovereign at this point, but I love mine for its steepish head angle – it’s DH capable, but you’d be better served elsewhere. Dialled Alpine is more downhill-y but if you’re getting something purely for going down then the likes of a Bagger/ Troof has to be a sensible(!) option.

Of course you could get something outrageous like an Evil Imperial or Nicolai 2MXTB;

Although I would really question the use of a HT for pure DH. I love hardtails, and I love downhillng on mine but a suspension bike is definitely the better tool for the job in the vast majority of circumstances.

_tom_
    Free Member

Head angles mean **** all. Trailstars have a 70 degree head angle when sagged and they’re a beast of a frame.

chiefgrooveguru

Head angles mean **** all. Trailstars have a 70 degree head angle when sagged and they’re a beast of a frame.

2+2=5? 😉

binners

Head angles mean **** all.

That’s not actually technically accurate, is it? I know as I’ve got the facial scarring to prove it

richc
    Free Member

For true DH frames, you ought to be looking at Alpines, Troofs, etc. As others said I wouldn’t just get a frame that can get a long fork, I would get one that was designed purely for descending, rather than a do-it-all which can take a long fork.

Why not a full sus though if its just for uplifts? Southerndownhill has some amazing deals every now and then and you will end up with a much better bike for purely DH riding.

xiphon
    Free Member

_tom_
    Free Member

That’s not actually technically accurate, is it? I know as I’ve got the facial scarring to prove it

Probably not but reading things on here and in mags there always seems to be a focus on getting things as slack low and long as possible/make the bike as dull as possible to ride.

loum
    Free Member

What is that?
    It looks fairly chunky 🙂

chiefgrooveguru

Probably not but reading things on here and in mags there always seems to be a focus on getting things as slack low and long as possible/make the bike as dull as possible to ride.

It’s only dull if it isn’t steep enough and/or rough enough and/or you aren’t riding fast enough!

Much as I’m a hardtail fan, I’d use a full-sus if buying a bike for DH and it would something pretty DH focused (unsurprisingly!) maybe even an actual DH bike.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Ton,

If you want to run long travel forks and use it for dh only then the only frames worth considering are those designed around long travel forks – i.e. those Ragleys.

You’ll find people recommending these “ardcore hardtails” like Cotics/Stantons/Chamleleons/Evils etc. but the truth is, they arent designed around long travel forks, and in fact ride much better with shorter forks. Theres the truth.

I had a Dialled Alpine, that was goodun.

ton

thanks for all the idea’s guy’s.

the ragleys do look like a fave so far…..price is always a factor.
    and the btr looks lovely.

Hobster
    Free Member

Chromag Aperture or Stylus might be worth a look. Think shorelines have the Aperture frames discounted at the moment.

xiphon
    Free Member
    tricky-dicky
    Free Member

Production privee Shan looks good. North west mountain bikes at cheadle had one being built up for a customer last month . It was the limited edition yellow and blue version. Looks good with dh geometry. Price wise more than the cotics etc but about 100 euros less than the btr belter.

ackie
    Free Member

Wow I just found this Lovely 823 Dialled Alpine frame in the classifieds.
    Still available, framesavered, mint condition…
    I bet you can make the seller an offer 😉

Bernaard
    Free Member

+1 here for the Evil Sovereign
    Possibly the best hardtail I’ve owned. And I’ve had a few
    Plus you can run it ss with the sliding dropouts

georgecb
    Free Member

does anyone know where i can get a dialled alpine. they are pretty **** awsome

oliverd1981
    Free Member

I always thought the Duncon Cock was the gnarrest HT frame until I saw that Nicolai.

Dancake
    Free Member

No idea but I do like this Vid of a guy in whistler with his Chromag gypsy

[video]http://youtu.be/wv7TyakE8qw[/video]

Dancake
    Free Member

No idea but I do like this Vid of a guy in whistler with his Chromag gypsy

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wv7TyakE8qw[/video]

edit oh poo. repost instead of edit fail

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

I like my Sovereign, but in no way is it a DH hardtail.

May as well wheel out the 2MXTB pic…

kudos100
    Free Member

First choice would be a belter (even though burf still hasn’t bloody let me ride it!) as I’ve seen how fast it is possible to go on a DH hardtail.

Second would be a ragely. As DTF has said, no point getting a frame that can take a 160 fork if the bb is stupidly high and it handles like a bag of shite.

deus

.243 racing used to do a DH hardtail, remember seing one with 888’s flying down the bike park in whistler.

although they don’t seem to be making anything other than custom these days.

rewski
    Free Member

That dark side looks like it was made by the A team, dialled alpine is a beauty.

SidKillerest
    Free Member

Ton, the answer is a DMR exalt mate. completely solid DH tank. Oh,and a set of coil 66’s. Don’t get a BFe…. ask RobHilton for more details!! 8)

ahhhjrene
    Free Member

I’ve this for sale

My Bagger 288

spudnick
    Free Member

that Darkside War looks amazing. might have to sell the norco and get me one

RobHilton
    Free Member

^ Too right! Looney bike for doing looney stuff on. I’d be in hospital double quick if I had one :mrgreen:

ton

just looked at the darkside frame, did not notice it when i 1st posted this thread.
    looks fantastic, fitted with a set of 180mm forks and some 200mm rotors, it would be pretty ideal for a big un……….. 8)

RobHilton
    Free Member

Did you notice the grinder takes forks 130 – 200mm 😯 ❗ ❓ and is for “mad people who don´t care about anything.”

Also liked the Apocalypse – for Hardcore/Brainless riding :mrgreen:

cookeaa

A DMR Exalt yesterday…

I had one in truth it was toss really, should have stuck with my Trailstar really…

Quite like my 456SS now but that’s more a trail/all rounder type HT with a nod towards DH use IMO…

But if its a dedicated DH HT Its got to be the BTR for the win, Paul Burford is quite handy on a bike, I’d certainly look pretty seriously at any bike he was involved in designing/building…

spudnick
    Free Member

chainreaction are selling either the Ragley Troof or Bagger at a great price atm

nick

SidKillerest
    Free Member

Ton Ive had a Trailstar and an Exalt, both great but for DH stuff the Exalt is longer, slacker, much chunkier, far better suited to the larger rider. 8)
    Had an Dialled Alpine too. Sold it. Shouldn’t have.

swamptin
    Free Member

I am surprised that nobody has mentioned the 24Seven LeToy yet. I’ve yet to ride a stiffer frame that’s more bulletproof. Beautiful machine, comes with a warranty that’ll cover SuperMonsters and I’m pretty certain they’ll fit Gazzidodi’s 3.0in tires.

messiah
    Free Member

chainreaction are selling either the Ragley Troof or Bagger at a great price atm

Troof frames are currently £175 on CRC… fookin bargain!

boxbuster
    Free Member

Just ordered one at that price, Bargain!

crocodilian
    Free Member

Just bought one too!

messiah
    Free Member

At last mine has a proper chainguide that “should” stop the chain coming off 🙄

prezet
    Free Member

Don’t get a BFe…. ask RobHilton for more details!!

What’s wrong with a BFe? 😯

crocodilian
    Free Member

Messiah, is the welding around the ISCG tabs a bit “agricultural” on your Troof? Mine has the look of something that I’m sure functions well but it looks a bit naff.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 92 total)

The topic ‘Best hardtail frame for DH type riding?’ is closed to new replies.