Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Best GPS for running (and a bike)
  • mogrim

What’s the best value GPS for running? Would like to be able to follow routes on the bike, too, but that’s not a priority. Not too bothered about mapping, though…

Jamie
    Free Member

310XT.

Big enough screen to follow routes on the bike, but not too big it’s like running with a microwave strapped to your wrist.

mogrim

Cheers, that was on the list as a potential candidate. I like the 910XT, too, but not sure I can really justify the price difference…

Jamie
    Free Member

Likewise. I have had the 310XT for a couple of years now and the only thing I do not like about it, well apart from Garmin’s occasionally self destructing software/firmware, is the chunkyness. The 910XT is a bit slimmer, but not worth the extra just for that.

Unfortunately, you have missed Amazon’s Xmas sales, where the 310XT + HRM was £150. Cheapest I have seen of late is at Handtec.

I do wish Garmin had a viable competitor though. It would drive prices down, and innovations up.

convert

I’ve got a 910xt and like it – but then again I do a lot of swimming so it’s worth the difference from the 310. I don’t rate the navigation aspect though. If navigation is your thing a smartphone app and waterproof case maybe a better bet. My Iphone lives in a lifeproof case which slots into an arm belt thingy for running or bike mount. On a route I know it just stays out of the way in my back pocket or at home.

santacruzsi
    Free Member

Just got a suunto ambit but that doesn’t come under the value banner but its really good. Used it on bike a few times but mainly running. Decathlon had some good priced garmin’a few weeks back.

mogrim

Saw the Suunto Ambit, but while it looks excellent quality (and has the advantage you can just about wear it as a watch to work, handy for lunchtime runs…) it’s just too expensive to justify!

petrieboy

I just got a 310xt from handtec last week. £166 delivered for the watch and HRM. Refurb unit but unmarked.
    Really impressed so far. Not used it for navigation yet but I sometimes use my old garmin edge 305 to do that and find that fine or my needs (I just drop waypoints at junctions in the trail)
    The 310xt does os grid ref which was always the key missing functionality from the 305.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Best GPS for running (and a bike)’ is closed to new replies.