• This topic has 11 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by csb.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Best gas for MSR Pocket Rocket 2 (School me!)
  • ginsterdrz
    Free Member

The Pocket Rocket will be landing shortly (after a Go Outdoors wild goose stock chase)
    thanks to Ultralight Outdoor Gear.

New to the mini gas cooking thing so what fuel is best for low altitude bikepacking? (no mountain/snow/ice trips):

1. Stick with MSR Isopro

2. Better value/performance gas?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I just use whatever mixed gas extreme temp one that I see in the shop, Primus, coleman xtreme, Jetboil, whatever. It’s usually Primus tbh, as that’s what most decent shops round here stock.

If you really wanna improve performance, you could fashion a wee windshield, will definitely help with usage. And if it’s just for hot drinks, stop before the rolling boil, as it’s too bloody hot to drink anyway.

MrTricky
    Free Member

Ditto Nobeer – whatever is available. I’ll often use meths overseas as gas can be harder to track down.
    If at home, weigh it when you buy (+ keep a record) then you can track how much is left when you get home.

ginsterdrz
    Free Member

Thank you Nobeerinthefridge and MrTricky for the advice and top tips👍

tuboflard

Windshield is definitely of help with a Pocket Rocket unless it’s still calm. MSR do a good foil one for their other stoves which might work or could just fashion one out of a disposable tin (think turkey sized) baking tray.

Vader
    Free Member

Like above i buy whatever is in the shop, unless it’s winter or north of Devon I don’t worry to much about the propane mixes. Lately i have been using camping gaz blow torch gas from the hardware store, it is pretty cheap and comes in a useful sized can, although maybe not ideal for a pocket rocket as it is narrow

As mentioned above, weigh the full can and mark the weight on with a sharpie. I keep a note of the weight of an empty can so I always know how much gas is left. On a wet day I did some experiments with digital scales and boiled some water to find out the weight of gas required. On average it took 6g of gas to boil 0.5 litres of water. From there it is easy to work out how long a can will last and I am happy to take a seemingly empty canister for an overnight or short trip.

A windshield makes a big difference, I make them from a tesco disposable turkey roasting tray or similar. They will weigh about 50g, maybe lighter if you make it to fit one of those alpkit pots.

Lastly if you are doing a multi day trip and will need more gas I have an edelrid gas adapter that means you can use the threadless camping gaz cannisters that often crop up in garages and french supermarkets. It wont fit the pierceable cans but is does increase your chances for very little weight

ahsat

Find it makes little difference in the summer most of the time. But in the last couple of years we have had a leaking generic can we picked up one day in Pebbles; a Colman that struggled at about 10C in the last month and some absolute naff stuff from Nevis stores in Fort William. Therefore in general we really try and get only MSR or Primus when we can which so far is faultless and not as temp dependant.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Best value?

Refill an expensive 4oz can from a cheap 16oz butane can multiple times.

DO NOT REFILL THEM WITH PROPANE, IT WILL END IN FIREY TEARS.

ginsterdrz
    Free Member

Super tips all, thank you!

tjagain

Just be aware that winter gas in hot conditions can get a little “enthusiastic” I have used a refiller like that for years but recently have had some valve
    failures – but after many refills of the same cans

jimdubleyou

have had some valve failures

With an abundance of caution, I write the date I refilled the can on the bottom.
    Once I’ve run out of space I throw it away.

csb

Is there a link to a reliable refiller valve?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Best gas for MSR Pocket Rocket 2 (School me!)’ is closed to new replies.