Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Best flat pedals, opinions please.
  • psycorp
    Free Member

I have a few sets of the current Saint pedals which I love. They are however starting to piss me off as two sets have developed a stiff DS pedal which no amount of disassembling, re-greasing and re-adjusting seems to cure for long. For some reason the NDS is fine on all sets, go figure.

I’ve considered Nano-x’s, but they can have their own issues apparently, and I’ve had V12’s and prefer a larger platform. What reliable alternatives are there for about the same money as Saints?

Cheers

rickon
    Free Member

Nukeproof Horizons will sort you out.

Dmr vaults are good, but expensive, so are Hope or Raceface Atlas. Spank Oozy have terrible bearings.

The best pedals I’ve used by a country mile are the Specialized Boomslang. But they’re also spendy.

Superstar pedals are also good VFM.

sharkattack

Two sets of Vaults here. Saints went in the bin.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    jekkyl

FAT SPANNER FATTIES FLATTIES PUKKA – a lot cheaper than similar shaped ones.
    http://www.ukbikefactory.com/fat-sanner-fatties-flatties-pukka-pedals-black.html

jamj1974

Boomslangs are very nice – but I am biased as I have them. The new Gamut ones are very nice too!

*Edit. Gamut Podiums. Tried them the other week – very nice, look great, bearings feel good and platform is grippy enough.

nickjb
    Free Member

I like specialized flat pedals. Good sized platform that is actually flat rather than the usual bearing bulge in the middle

Northwind

If you want a big platform then Vaults come into their own. For me they weren’t especially good and I went back to my cheaper superstars which I prefer, but, I don’t have big feet so I wasn’t getting the benefit.

I’ve been using HT components nanos for ages- same as exotic, fatties flatties, nukeproof etc. They’re not the thinnest or the flashest but they’re good value and they’re reliable. Seems like there’s various new kids in town though.

Those Fatties Flatties are the exact same pedal Exotic sell for £33 btw. Oh and that’s the weight for the ti axle version they’ve quoted in the ad, but they seem to be selling the steel one. (also the same pedal as the Nukeproof Neutron, which you can also get for less)

chakaping
    Free Member

I’ve considered Nano-x’s, but they can have their own issues apparently,

You can still get the old Nano-style pedal from Carbon Cycles, very long lasting in my experience and only £33.
    http://www.carboncycles.cc/?product_code=CC-PED07F

jekkyl

christ that exotic website is awful. The fatty ones are alloy, not resin/plastic like some available in that shape. if they are alloy for £33 that’s a great price.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Superstar Delta Mags for me. Add a pair of Vans and they are griptastic. And light.

orangespyderman

I recently got some Nano-Xs in one of the many Superstar sales. I’m impressed with them. I have a pair of the current Saints on another bike; the Nano-X are noticeably larger and on the downside I do find myself hitting them on things more often in narrow sections. I don’t have particularly large feet (size 43) and I think a slightly smaller pedal would be better for me. They seem well made, but I’ve not had them long.

I use FiveTen Freeriders and the grip is pretty damn fantastic, even though I’m only running the shorter pins. I feel a lot more stuck on than on the Saints, even having taken the spacer washers that are on the pins when they arrived (why??)

allan23
    Free Member

The ones on my bike naturally 🙂

I went for Deity Decoy a couple of years ago, really like them and they’ve not broke. A bit cheaper than Vaults, more expensive than Wellgo or Superstar.

bigblackshed

Wellgo magnesium.

smatkins1
    Free Member

Vaults are fantastic under your feet. I’m a big fan. But I am falling out with them because of the internals though.

The seal on the crank arm side isn’t very good, so after a few wet ride some dirt inevitably gets in and then the bushing wears quickly. You can obviously preempt this by giving them a quick dismantle and re-grease after a wet ride, but you soon grow tired of that. Once the bushing wears, play develops, they rattle and they sound most unhappy when they’re spun. So I seem to end up popping a new bushing in (along with the rest of the internals which come in the pack) in every 4 months or so. But then if you get lazy (or try and reduce your annual expenditure on DMR Vault Service Kits) I’ve found the axles eventually wear so even with a new bushing there is play. So over the last I think maybe 4 years (I got these soon after they first came out) I’m just about to replace the axles for the third time. Moan Moan Moan! No complaints about the pedal body though.

andy4d

Take a look at moove flats. Love mine, grippy and not missed a beat for 3 years.

nwill1
    Free Member

I loved my Saints…then got Vaults on my HT…can’t wait for the Saints to wear out now so I can justify changing to Vaults!

Northwind

andy4d – Member

Take a look at moove flats. Love mine, grippy and not missed a beat for 3 years.

Also the same as the Exotics but more expensive (though, exotic only do the grub screw version not the thrus)

rivingtonbike
    Free Member

I think myself and Andy4d are fellow members of the Moove pedal admirers club – awesome.Large platform,light and grippy.
    After 2 years they start to “run-in”
    I have Nukeproof Electrons on my hardtail which are decent,but not a patch on the Mooves.

chiefgrooveguru

Vaults are fantastic under your feet. I’m a big fan. But I am falling out with them because of the internals though.

The seal on the crank arm side isn’t very good, so after a few wet ride some dirt inevitably gets in and then the bushing wears quickly. You can obviously preempt this by giving them a quick dismantle and re-grease after a wet ride, but you soon grow tired of that. Once the bushing wears, play develops, they rattle and they sound most unhappy when they’re spun. So I seem to end up popping a new bushing in (along with the rest of the internals which come in the pack) in every 4 months or so. But then if you get lazy (or try and reduce your annual expenditure on DMR Vault Service Kits) I’ve found the axles eventually wear so even with a new bushing there is play. So over the last I think maybe 4 years (I got these soon after they first came out) I’m just about to replace the axles for the third time. Moan Moan Moan! No complaints about the pedal body though.

Conversely my older pair of Vaults are equally venerable (they were an emergency purchase in Sept 2011 after I mangled my V12s getting my threads mixed up the day before a race!) and I’ve finally bought a service kit for them. There’s quite a lot of play now but it doesn’t seem to affect their function, though I did destroy one of the original bearings last year, so that’s been replaced but the rest of the internals are original. I’ve regreased them a few times and always put really thick water resistant grease in there.

They’ve done about 4000 miles (but in pretty hideous conditions as they were on my only bike and then my winter bike) thoughI know smatkins’ have done a lot more mileage. Maybe my minimum washing approach to bike care does work? 😉

Something about the Vault shape just feels SO right to my feet. Really like the size, shape and pin arrangement.

grum
    Free Member

Vaults are the best but SS Nanos are better value, IMO.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Love the Vaults to ride but the sealing is poor in my experience too, I have the same issues, need frequent rebuilds with thick waterproof grease and eventually an axle. Not high mileage either and bike often dried with dehumidifier and then mud brushed off.

I’ve just bought another set though – Mg Vaults, 18 bikes have them at a good discount. Standard ones can be got for £68ish.

strangey13
    Free Member

Nukeproof Horizons, I’ve got the Sam Hill metal ones and had no bother with seals or anything so far. Feel like my foot sits in the pedal better than Saints but hasn’t destroyed my shoes so far.

superstu
    Free Member

Horizon or Nano for me. The electrons I had were OK as well but I don’t think the pins felt as long and they were noticeably less grippy. All were miles better than the old school wellgo pedals I used to use.

I tried race face atlas this week and whilst they were fine I wouldn’t buy them over cheaper pedals. Maybe they come into their own in terms of longevity but they weren’t as grippy IMHO

eshershore
    Free Member

Specialized Bennies

got given a pair a few years ago. they have a great shape and just keep working without any fuss or maintenance

Steve77
    Free Member

What are the lightest decent flat pedals?

pipiom
    Free Member

I’ve just bought (2 months) a pair of Nukeproof Electon evos…..I’ve got SS and Vaults as well. I will be replacing all others with the Nukes. Super grippy,light,and £26.

mindmap3
    Free Member

I was a big fan of the original Nano’s and have had three pairs. The original black ones refused to die. One pair died when u ripped a few pins and threads out in a big crash. If wanting to stick to that kind of money, as mentioned I’d be looking at the others who use that platform (Moove, carbon cycles etc).

Recently switch to Vaults and think they feel great underfoot with really good grip.

Have had Race Face Aeffect which were small by modern standards but very, very grippy. Spank bearings and bushes are rubbish, my Spikes ended up in the bin as I got sick of repairing them.

deanfbm
    Free Member

find vault bearings terrible, really terrible.

Really, really like the feel of hopes, fit and forget.

wellgo mg1 if you want something light, cheap and keeps on going and going

bigbloke
    Free Member

I use the Exotic pedals in all my bikes, faultless and cheap. Recently bought their lightweight version it is superb and great shape. Yes the website is rubbish but you will get the pedals delivered quickly and you won’t be unhappy.

Dango
    Free Member

Just about to buy some more Vaults, best pedal I’ve ridden with so far, would like the Boomslangs but not at £110-£130 when you can pick up the Vaults at £69

I used to be a fan of the original SS Nano until I tried the Vault

Those Nukeproof Evo pedals previously mentioned look to be manufactured by HT components, you can buy them cheaper at SS as “El Plastique” with a couple less pins (25% off this month with code MADMAY25FB) which makes them £18.75

The exotic are the same as the previous SS Nano and the Kona Wah Wah and etc… all made by HT, just buy whichever is the cheapest if you like the smaller platform.

I’d also wager that the new Nano is a Uk machined platform on foriegn axles, sold as UK manufactured,, but the parts that bend or wear aren’t actually UK made, just UK assembled

hatter

What are the lightest decent flat pedals?

The Gamuts are 295 grams a pair so lighter than pretty much anything except magnesium body/titanium axle jobbies.

lapdog
    Free Member

The best flat pedals are Syntace Titan 9s. No compromise pedal that are very light, strong, durable and costly! I love mine.

honourablegeorge

deanfbm – Member
    find vault bearings terrible, really terrible.

3 sets here, oldest is from when they first came out, never replaced anything in them, just occasional clean and regrease (twice on the oldest ones, once on the 3-year old ones, never on the other set)

hatter – Member

The Gamuts are 295 grams a pair so lighter than pretty much anything except magnesium body/titanium axle jobbies.

I had the original Point One pedals, the 3 tiny bearings at the end of the axle turned to dust after a few months. New ones have the same basic design, not sure I’d be splashing out. A mate has them, so watching his with interest. As far as grip/shape goes, they were excellent, really liked them.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

lapdog – Member
    The best flat pedals are Syntace Titan 9s. No compromise pedal that are very light, strong, durable and costly! I love mine.

Agreed 100%. They are fantastic.
    Expensive but very robust, very very grippy, massive platform (available in 3 sizes), really thin and very easy to maintain. Got them on two bikes.

Vaults feel nearly as good whilst they’re still new but don’t last 5 minutes IME, pins ripped out in no time and bushing shot very quickly. Axle bent too but I can’t really complain too much about that as it caught a fairly immovable rock at some speed.

The original grubscrew pin Superstar/Exotic generic Nano have also been very durable. Best budget buy.

Murray

What are the problems with the Nano X pedals?

mrwhyte
    Free Member

I have just converted to flats, and got myself some Burgtec Penthouse. Faultless so far, very grippy, so was far more comfortable moving across.

jamesfts
    Free Member

best flat pedals are Syntace Titan 9s. No compromise pedal that are very light, strong, durable and costly! I love mine.

Money no object and you’re after super light weight pedals then this.

Want less spendy then go for Burgtecs.

preciousmetals
    Free Member

For what it’s worth my New Hope f20 pedals have pins that are slippy and don’t do the job!

Bk to classic DMR V12s

Northwind

Hope do a pin upgrade don’t they? The stock pins are shit but they definitely had some grippier ones out with the press.

Still a big fan of my nanos tbh, I have vaults, but I prefer these. I think maybe vaults become a better option if you have massive feet?

preciousmetals
    Free Member

If you’re correct on that northwind, that might just save my bacon!

Have you a link. (Give you some homework) ;-d

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Best flat pedals, opinions please.’ is closed to new replies.