Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Best Fast Commuter / Winter Fitness Bike – Flat Bar up to £1000
  • Paceman
    Free Member

I currently commute 26 miles a day on on old geared Inbred with rigid forks and semi slicks. I'd like something faster and lighter which I can also use for winter training and the occasional sportive, charity enduro etc. Mudguard and rack fittings would also be needed if possible.

Any advice, good deals out there, or recommendations much appreciated. And yes, I know this is an MTB forum, but i'm an MTBer so trust your views more! 😉

I was thinking something like:

Marin Mill Valley
    Kona PHD
    Boardman Hybrid Pro

or similar?

Maybe even a CX bike such as one of the lighter Kona Jakes (not sure on drop bars though).

Would also consider second-hand.

glenp
    Free Member

Just say no to flat bars on the road.

MrSmith
    Free Member

fast commuter = road bike with drops.

ourmaninthenorth

Think of it like this: if you went to see the same hooker every time, wouldn't you like the option of trying something different for your money?

That's what drop bars are for.

😉

peachos
    Free Member

just buy a cheap old racer and fix it up how you want and spend all the money you have saved on your proper bike.

Paceman
    Free Member

Any recommendations on a road bike then? Older one to look out for in the classifieds, or good deals on new ones?

glenp
    Free Member

Go for an Audax/winter trainer type is my advice. Full (slim) mudguards, slightly more relaxed geometry, rack mounts if you want them. Still a proper fast bike – the position on drop bars is much better.

I've got one of these, but I built mine up. Kinesis Racelight Tk

2unfit2ride
    Free Member
    ourmaninthenorth

That FCR is the SCR but with one trick hooker handlebars (see above for explanation).

The SCR carbon is a good bike (I have the frame from 2 or 3 years ago), but you can't fit full 'guards or a rack to it, so it wouldn't be much use as a commuter.

If you want to fit 'guards and rack to a carbon bike, check out the Pearson Cycles Carbon Audax Pro:

MoreCashThanDash

I was very impressed by a young lady on one of those Boardmans the other day – for a whole number of reasons, one of which was the speed of the bike.

You used to be able to get a flat barred Kaffenback, or maybe see what Ribble can do with one of their audax bikes.

Paceman
    Free Member

What exactly is an "Audax" bike? I've seen them mentioned on a few LBS online sites.

glenp
    Free Member

Full (slim) mudguards, slightly more relaxed geometry, rack mounts if you want them. Still a proper fast bike – the position on drop bars is much better.

Not sure I understand your question – already described above.

Paceman
    Free Member

Sorry! …it's been a long week so far!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Best Fast Commuter / Winter Fitness Bike – Flat Bar up to £1000’ is closed to new replies.