• This topic has 66 replies, 47 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by argee.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)
  • Best enduro wheels for £500?
  • chainbreaker
    Free Member

Bontrager wheels on my bike are knackered, full of dents and hubs are needing a service and aren’t the best hubs anyway. Thinking of just getting a decent new set of wheels (29er)

Was looking at various options such as the nukeproof horizon V2, hunt enduro wide, or a hope/dt swiss build but I’m seeing reviews that the hope/dt swiss hubs aren’t great.

Any recommendations/opinions?

andylc
    Free Member

My bike came with DT Swiss 350s and Flow EX rims. 7 years later and still perfect despite plenty of abuse. Added advantage that DT Hubs compatible with Shimano 1×12 so the only thing I’ve done in that time is change to microspline. I have left the hubs alone completely which I’m sure is very bad and wrong but they still seem completely fine.
    Guessing they’d be in the price range, or whatever the up to date version is.

monkeyboyjc

How wide a rim are you after?

CRC have some hope i35s dirt cheap at the moment £305 for the pair with discount code

mashr

Haven’t looked recently but Fitwheels.eu got me DT350s on XM481s within your budget

benpinnick

hope/dt swiss hubs

You’re reading the wrong reviews! At your price point there’s nothing really to beat a Pro4 or DT 350.

chakaping
    Free Member

I got Hope Pro 4 hubs with ex511 rims when I had that budget.

Some people favour DT 350 hubs.

Either way, it’s worth the little extra over Hunt or Nukeproof for me.

chrishc777
    Free Member

Haven’t looked recently but Fitwheels.eu got me DT350s on XM481s within your budget

+1 for this, exactly what I did

If you want something burlier just go EX511 instead of XM481 but I’ve been abusing my 481 for ages and they are plenty good enough for me for now

dc1988

I wouldn’t look beyond DT Swiss personally, they just work.

Tracey

For that price EX511s on DT350 hubs from Fitwheels would be my choice. I think you can still get them via Ebay.

I have the V1 Hunt Enduro wheels, I was on a budget at the time, they’ve served me well, bearings are gash mind.

If you’ve got the extra cash I’d follow the consensus and go the DT Swiss 350 hub route.

oceanskipper

I got some 30mm Ex511 with XT microspline hubs and I’m very happy with them. Ok budget wise when I bought mine a year ago but no idea now. I had mine built by lbs.

malv173
    Free Member

As a few have said, DT Swiss 350 with EX511 rims. Got mine from Fitwheels also. Very, very happy with them.

joebristol

I’d use DT Swiss EX511 rims – I don’t think there’s a better alloy enduro rim out there. Dubious whether carbon is any better either.

Hub wise the 2 mid priced options are usually a dt350 or a Hope Pro4. If you want to trim a bit of cost then Bitex are meant to be good too. I’ve not used the rear Bitex hub but a mate has one and rates it – I’ve got a front Bitex hub and it’s fine. So far I can’t see what the Hope front hub on my other bike does better – it’s heavier then the Bitex.

Would just build with dt competition or the ACI / Sapim double butted equivalent spokes.

ogden
    Free Member

Hope or DT hubs on EX511 rims. No brainer at that price.

jeffl

Not used them myself and I’d generally go with the consensus above but if I wanted to save some cash I’ve read good things about Silt Wheels.

AM Alloy (29") 1,869g

Went down that rabbit hole after looking at hunts and consensus about their cheese like status regarding dented rims.

Haven’t bitten the bullet yet as my current cheap rims are still trucking on and I’ve just had to buy the dog a new hip 🔥💷🔥💷

chainbreaker
    Free Member

Looks like I’ve read the wrong reviews regarding dt swiss/hope hubs!!

For that price EX511s on DT350 hubs from Fitwheels would be my choice. I think you can still get them via Ebay.

Had a look at these, look great value for money. I assume as these ship from the EU I’ll get hit with VAT on top of the £33 shipping?

CalamityJames
    Free Member

Another vote for Fitwheels. I have 350s/XM481 and I’ve not touched them in just under two years. Great components and great wheel build.

mashr

You can buy direct via Fitwheels website (or sort it via email if you don’t see the exact spec you want) if eBay doesn’t work for you.

Assume you’ll pay tax but many people have been lucky

bruneep

Give mike at 20/20 a shout rather than someone outside uk

Custom Wheel Build EX 511 – Hope Pro 4 – SRAM XD

my 350/ ex511 have been faultless

mike at 20/20 has built all my wheels and half of the riders in NE of Scotland.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Just don’t get DTSwiss carbon wheels.

My front one is knackered after 9 months light use ( I use the alloys for proper rides) and madison are whining about what caused the crack.

intheborders
    Free Member

Horizon V2’s are on point for money, strength and weight – hard to see past them TBH.

jamiemcf

I have
    a front Hope pro 4 on EX511 – it’s great
    a rear Hope pro 4 on EX 471 – It’s great
    a rear Hope pro 2 evo on EX471 – again it’s great

The pro2 evo was stripped from an old 26″ wheel and relaced onto the EX471 rim that was originally on the front pro 4.

all have been abused over teh years and still gong strong. oh and i built them myself and all on DT comps

Big-Bud
    Free Member

As above DT Swiss 350 or hope pro 4.
    The v1 hunt trail wide ( same rim as the new nukeproof nuetron) were absolutely garbage, soft as brie with bearings that didn’t last .
    the enduro wide v1 weren’t much better .
    They can lauded by the MTB press which often a few pages later you’ll see a half page add for hunt products so you go figure why they get such good reviews.
    Remember they are buying a catalogue product from the far East using novatec hubs yes they spec there own ezo bearings and yes they decided what T Series alloy to make the rims out of but they have absolutely no control other than speccing out of a catalogue so they have no clue if the rim is made out of said material or if the tolerance of the hub is as required.
    There only job is to install the rim tape and they can’t even get that right .
    There lead times are long as they are always relient on the factory in Taiwan and if there busy making a bigger order for someone else hunts leadtime will go on longer .
    Hunt have a machine that shows rim impact testing but that’s about all the testing they have the capability of doing .
    I know they’ve expressed a desire to be able to do more internal testing but for me there some of the most overrated MTB products that seem to get a default answer when people ask what wheels .
    This is one area I’d get a good local wheelbuilder to build you up a pair .you’ll get a far superior set of hoops and be supporting people doing a fantastic job in our industry rather than a churned out set of machine made wheels from Taiwan .
    You might pay a little more but in the long run it’s worth it .

impatientbull

I’ve both and would go DT350 over Hope Pro 4 hubs due to ease of service. The bearings are easier to replace in the DT Swiss hubs and the ratchets don’t wear out anywhere near as quickly as the paws in the Hopes.

anderzz
    Free Member

For around £350 I think my Nukeproof Horizon v2 are excellent value. Had no issues with mine. Ready taped etc.

They were lighter than I’d imagined too.

ansdy

Hi @chainbreaker – just sent you a dm

poah
    Free Member

DT swiss rims (ex471 or ex511) on the hub of your choice. I’ve got ex471 rims on bitex (cheap, light and good), hope (over priced just for bling) and DT swiss 240s hubs. Currently I wouldn’t change them for anything.

For factory wheels consider spank. Good hubs and rims.

silasgreenback

@jeffl

I’m running silt on the MTB and Scribe on gravel.

The gravel wheels have so far been fine but my silt bearings packed up after 45mls and the ratchet was a complete fokker to get off. So tight it actually snapped their bespoke tool. Sorted that and yesterday, first ride out since swapping bearings and the spokes started pinging and creaking under load mid way through the ride. Settled down after a decent gnarly down but they seem a little high maintenance for me. Imagine trying to undo the ratchet after a year or more of it being tightened if 45mls is bad enough. My hopes were heavy but fit n forget. For now, these are nagging me about longevity.

They’re light, ride well and customer service from silt has been absolutely faultless.

I did want to get some of their lightweight XC wheels for the hardtail but in all honesty I want simple maintenance as well as lightweight & can take a battering.

alan1977
    Free Member

another for fitwheels
    xm481 on dt swiss 350’s for well under that price
    obviously you can go for the 511’s for not much more

1timmy1
    Free Member

Another Bitex hub user here, both hubs have been great. Hardly need to change the bearings and they just work. Got Dt Swiss 481’s but depending on your style of riding you can always go 511 on the rear and 481 on the front.

nickc

I used PT Cycles for some Hope/ DT Swiss wheels a few months back. Great service, wheels are well built, good range of options

slackboy

Moonglu in the UK also have a good reputatio:

Hope Pro 4 hubs hand built into DT Swiss XM481 rims

I’ve also used https://arrow-wheels.com/ recently for some wheel truing. They offer various builds, so give them a try.

b33k34

I used Funworks (it’s part of actionsports) in Germany for DT 240/ex511. Worked out about £650 after tax and duty.

DT hubs are lighter than Hope. Bearings on 350s aren’t great but you can put higher quality ones in when you replace. If you stretch to 240s you likely make more back if you ever sell as second hand values are silly.

sofaboy73
    Free Member

my general go to hub / wheel combo if i need some new enduro type wheels is hope pro 4 on stans flow EX rims.

i’m a heavy and not that gentle a rider, and the above has always been pretty bomb proof and fit and forget. although there are some lighter comparable rims i just go for the stans as i know they will take a beating and being stans will be a doddle to sett up tubeless with pretty much all tyre choices

mahalo

replaced my rear wheel with a DT E1900 recently. seems good so far, will definitely look at getting the front version to match when i need one. engagement not as quick as id like, but spins really nice, decent weight and ride well. £200 notes!

Yak

Just go Hope hubs and whatever dt rim to suit your weight/ riding. And unless you need them tomorrow, you must have a LBS nearby who can build these for you.
    I know other hubs are lighter, but spares for Hope are everywhere.

SirHC

Hope Hubs
    DT Rims – EX471 if you want 25mm, EX511 if you want 30mm. Then XM481/421 if you are more gentle
    Sapim Spokes
    Squorx Nipples

Used that combo on all my bikes and quite a few mates wheelbuilds, its a very reliable combination.

mashr

I wonder how many people they even employed? I would’ve guess at around 4

scribecycling
    Free Member

Hi @silasgreenback,

Alan here from SILT/ Scribe. It’s great to here you like the wheels. That is very odd re: the bearings as they usually last well up to 1 year in most instances. I’m not sure what your order number is to check but I’m sure we would have sent replacements to you free of charge if you were in touch with them.

silasgreenback

@scribecycling

Hi Alan, i did indeed get sorted and customer service was faultless. New bearings and new tool sent out and wheels back running without issues.

Although the tool that got sent out is now 3 pronged as opposed to 4! So i’m keeping fingers crossed on bearings!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.