Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Best email account
  • mr_average
    Free Member

My partner’s O2 email account is about to be closed down meaning that we’ve got to open a new one and inform the multitude of places the address is registered. What’s the best to set up? Looking for something reliable, suitable for an iPhone and unlikely to discontinued! I’d rather not link it to our broadband supplier in case we ever want to change that.

loddrik
    Free Member

Gmail

paladin

Gmail?

kiwijohn

Hotmail.

thepurist

Same here with the o2 thing, I’m just going to use gmail instead but I also have a domain name registered and use that for my email address with simple forwarding from there to o2, gmail or wherever.

poly
    Free Member

Gmail is good. You may not like giving google, and thus by proxy potentially the US government, all your info. In which case GMX (who are European) may be safer.

compositepro
    Free Member

Gmx whats that then

mr_average
    Free Member

Thanks for those guys. Just Yahoo’d 😉 GMX and it looks interesting: ‘all emails are encrypted’: fairly sure GCHQ will be having a good look at those then!

jambalaya
    Free Member

gmail

Its easy to connect accross services like google drive and YouTube too. I have an iCloud address also as that way you can share notes from iPhone to other devices (inc pc access if required)

The iPhone supports multiple email addresses well. I use a mix of gmail app and iPhone mail, I have both as occasionally the iPhone mail ap doesn’t sync with gmail account

timwillows
    Free Member

US data centre on the GMX option will limit the value of the ‘encryption’ if that is what you are after

chomp
    Free Member

I’d say you’re more likely to get the email address you want (rather than myname98327492@gmail.com)if you use outlook.com

It also looks more professional to those who may consider gmail to be a bit unprofessional (I know this is not the case, but there are still people out there that think if you have a free email address then you’re not to be taken seriously) whereas the clear microsoft link with an outlook.com email address can lend some weight with people who are not that techno savvy.

TO be honest there’s not a lot between the various suppliers these days if you’re using them through an email client (and not their web interface) so you can really just go with what you prefer. There are pro’s and con’s for them all.

These points may not be worth considering if you’re just going for a personal email address

compositepro
    Free Member

Can you PGP over gmail

ohnohesback
    Free Member

I think so.

chewkw
    Free Member

That GMX and Outlook.com look interesting …

The problem with them is still having the @GMX.co.uk or @outlook.com address …

Any possibility of changing them to say myname@myname.co.uk?

Then reply with myname@myname.co.uk so that the receiver(s) see my address as myname@myname.co.uk.

🙂

titusrider
    Free Member

+1 for outlook.com

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Best email account’ is closed to new replies.