Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Best CX shoes for racing + 3 Peaks?
  • 13thfloormonk

Somehow, depsite only 15 days ago getting surgery on my lower back, I’m now considering the 3 Peaks CX (not next year of course!).

I’ll be trying to work in more running training just for CX season anyway, and I’m at home in boggy misty mountains, so 3 Peaks looks pretty attractive!

Have also been inspired by the GCN 3 Peaks Video and the Lachlan Morton/Team Eduction First Video.

My SPD shoes need replaced anyway, so I’m thinking something pretty racey, but ideally with more of a rubberised sole rather than the usual hard plastic moulding.

Is there anything? The shoes I’m most attracted to are the Giro Cylinder or the Giro Herraduro. There are even some handy looking BTWin/Rockrider shoes with a double boa system, just not sure if they’d be too stiff.

Ta

kilo

The wife just used sidi carbon soled spd mtb shoes, (think they might be sidi drakos ) she didn’t say that caused any issues.

13thfloormonk

OK cool, I was just imagining running on wet slabs in plastic soled XC disco slippers might be treacherous!

BenjiM

There are even some handy looking BTWin/Rockrider shoes with a double boa system, just not sure if they’d be too stiff.

I have a pair, avoid, too stiff for 3 Peaks and no grip on grip where it’s needed. They’re not Boa either it’s a crap copy.

I have some cheap Northwave Scream 2 Plus I got from PX for 60quid. Good at keeping the mud out and have rubberised sections on them and not overly stiff. They’re not what you’d call lookers but they do work well for me for CX and when I did the 3 Peaks this year. Not sure if they still make them though!

shedbrewed
    Free Member

OP did you mean to type Terraduro? I have some for touring and they’re good for walking in too when hike a bike is needed. Not racy though.

dovebiker

I’ve found Mavic shoes to be really good for hike-a-bike in slippery conditions. I have some older Sidis with the Dominator plastic sole – pretty rubbish in comparison

squealer
    Free Member

I picked up a set of sidi trace from Crc in the sale which seem pretty good. Not as plastic as the sidi soles of old.

rutland
    Free Member

I’ve done the 3 Peaks CX twice, both times wearing Giro Terraduro shoes. They fit my feet well and were very good for the bike carrying up Simon Fell and Whernside. They are not a shoe well suited to regular CX racing though – the lack of toe studs is a real problem on muddy slippery banks / run-ups etc.

crazy-legs

Use some middle of the road MTB shoes. Nothing too XC-race orientated as they’re too stiff.

I’ve got some Mavic MTB shoes – quite old now, they’ve got two velcro, one ratchet strap and enough flex in the toe box to allow good foot movement on the steeper climbs.

And don’t fit studs or spikes, you’ll be all over the place on the rocks (plus I don’t think they’re allowed anyway!)

daiboy
    Free Member

As noted above, Terraduros are popular for the 3 Peaks. Note that they don’t accept spikes for cx. VR90s strike a good balance between weight, grip and walkability. For this reason, and the fact they’re cheaper, I went with the XC5 from Shimano.

13thfloormonk

Good advice, ta!

The shoes I’m racing CX in at the moment don’t have spikes, haven’t come across a course in Scotland yet where I’ve felt the lack of them.

Will keep it in mind though, Giro sound like the place to start at least.

tlr

Terraduros here too for the 3 Peaks. Not too stiff and sole not too plasticky, but I do wish they were lighter!

ferrals
    Free Member

The shimano xc7’s are great for cx, they have a good sole and are flexible enough for running in. However they have a new version out so don’t seem discounted anywhere yet (I got mine half rrp online a couple of years ago)

I would buy a shoe focused on normal use not the three peaks as you may not even get in!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Best CX shoes for racing + 3 Peaks?’ is closed to new replies.