best cross brakes? mini v or cantilever

Home Forum Bike Forum best cross brakes? mini v or cantilever

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • best cross brakes? mini v or cantilever
  • Rorschach

Shorty ultimates,you get to choose between power and clearance by moving the arms. £180 a pair though 🙁

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

Don’t know about most powerful, but best bang for buck is BMX Vs. Even on standard pads my Tektros are better than any canti setup I’ve used- which doesn’t include the best cantis to be fair so they might have them beat. But not for £12.99.

<edit- plus the extra barrel-adjuster noodles I had to buy to make it work, so £20 an end>

ed34

ok… best affordable brakes! upto £50. Quite a few on offer on planet-x site so just wondering what sort is best

Premier Icon wwaswas
    Subscriber

My TRP canti’s are pretty good but out of the budget I expect.

chriswilk

discs 🙂

timbur

I’ve got a set of CR520’s in the shed if you want to give those a go. I had them on a Tricross with 14st on top :O) they stopped me well.

ed34

whats the most powerful cross brakes? Mud clearence not really an issue so should i look at mini v’s, or cantis like the froglegs ones (heard a few folk mention them)

Big Dave

Or you could try standard V brakes with Problem Solvers Travel Agents. Thats the set up I have on my Uncle John and it works really well. Bit ugly but then once they are covered in mud who cares?

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

Mini-Vs are not only better brakes than cantis, but they are a damn site easier to set up too!

redted

Why are the travel agent/modulators needed? When I’ve ridden a bike with them fitted it just seems to make the V’s spongy like cantis, or are they there to alter the cable pull to amake the pads hit the rim in the first place?

Premier Icon convert
    Subscriber

Road levers don’t pull enough cable for normals V’s without a travel agent.

Big Dave

Properly fitted travel agents allow STI brake levers to take up the correct amount of cable to operate standard V brakes safely. Mine work a treat and there is no hint of sponginess. In fact the front brake doesn’t need a travel agent as the cable run from the lever is so short.

I’m a heavy sod and after taking the bike down some very steep and fast road descents I can confirm they work well.

trickydisco

Travel agents are awesome

race with these and they’ve been great

(even with carbon tubs)

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

With the right combination of levers and mini vs, there’s no need for a travel agent. How I worked it out was to look at the TRP models to get an arm length, then found a Tektro BMX equivalent with the same arm length. Works a charm.

Only slight drawback is that if the clearance is set up how I like it, I can’t remove the wheel without slackening the cable- the arms are too close together for the normal cable unlock to work. But that’s pretty trivial.

crispycross

TRP9.0 is half the price of Shorty Ultimates, more power but less pad travel. Dead easy to set up and adjust, no travel agent thingy needed and prettier than your average mini V.

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

Only slight drawback is that if the clearance is set up how I like it, I can’t remove the wheel without slackening the cable…

The solution 🙂
    (Well, workaround anyway)

Premier Icon D0NK
    Subscriber

Why are the travel agent/modulators needed?

original Vs with old style mtb levers (pc7s in my case) could be setup and would work spongily (and stupidly powerful) but as soon as you get a bit of cable stretch/pad wear your lever hits the bars and you soon run out of adjustment.

I assume full Vs with road levers would be similar
    Doable but a faff.

I used these mini Vs on my pompy. Disc cx now, even nicerer

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

Aye, that’s what I use. Tis still slightly annoying. But a lot less annoying than cantis 😉

fasthaggis

Same as Big Dave

I fitted travel agents and standard V brakes .

Plus, it’s not such a faff with my mudguards and 35mm tyres combo.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘best cross brakes? mini v or cantilever’ is closed to new replies.