Best cordless vacuum that isn’t a dyson

• This topic has 61 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 4 days ago by  nickjb.
Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)
  • Best cordless vacuum that isn’t a dyson
  • Premier Icon convert
    Subscriber

who gets to decide what’s moral or not. You?

When spending his money – yes, that would seem more than reasonable that he gets to decide.

I’ve said similar on another thread about wetherspoons, that whilst I might not go out of my way to find out the views of those that oppose my own once it is know it is impossible to unknow. Tim Martin and to a lesser extent Dyson were not just supporters of brexit but vocal supports who’s views were made public in the hope that they would influence voters. Do I know the political opinion of countless other ceos – no; but they made it their business for me to know their opinions so that is different.

Dyson is/was a great supporter of british technological innovation and education which I admit does make him harder to boycott.

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

So we know about Dyson. I have just bought a seatpost from Wiggle. So I would have needed to look into the CEO and company views of Wiggle.

You’ve simultaneously proved the point and missed it. That’s impressive.

The problem with Dyson isn’t his voting record per se, it’s the fact that he’s been a very vocal brexit champion.

I wouldn’t boycott Wiggle as I’ve no idea how their CEO voted, because he’s not using his position for political leverage. I considered boycotting Dyson when I needed a new vacuum cleaner a couple of years ago, but capitalist gain won me over in the end and I buckled. I would and indeed now have boycotted Wetherspoons as Tim Martin is frankly taking the piss now, it’s like going for a pint at a UKIP party conference.

Ewan

Please tell us it wasn’t from a bigoted brexiter

Don’t worry, I didn’t. At least not from someone that publicly campaigned for it.

Anyway, it’s not a vacuum. It’s a Hoover 😉

Premier Icon slackalice
    Subscriber

Still, at least a cordless vacumn cleaner can be used as a practical and moral high horse without any restrictions imposed by the power cord.

Yeee—haaaa!

EDIT… Actually, on further reflection, some people seem to have too much spare time… thought about taking up a hobby? I hear stick vacuum racing over the sofa is taking off

Dyson v6 fluffy here. Works very well.
    A friend has the gtec and he says it’s excellent as well.

It’s good to make a stance op. Good on you.

bear-uk

26v Bosch cleaner is what I have. Had it two years and it’s still working ok but need Henry for a proper clean.

servo

There is a well known fault with the G Tech Air Ram. I helped a relative fix theirs. There is a plastic gear in the head that loses its teeth. New gear is widely available on ebay.

Premier Icon kimbers
    Subscriber

I like seeing Dysons hand driers whenever im out, I always carry some handy stickers in my wallet

Nah Ill not be buying any of his products thanks to his backing pf Brexit, too many European colleagues having already left or being forced to apply for residency in a country theyve spent years contributing & payng taxes toward, whislt my & my kids & I are being being stripped of our rights as EU citizens…..

also we have a Miele & the bugger wont die (unlike my parent & their oft broken dysons) Id really like a cordless one, but cant really justify it while our corded one still works

Anyway, it’s not a vacuum. It’s a Hoover 😉

I said the H word in my interview at Dyson 14 years ago, I still got the job but the room did go quiet.
    Whilst I worked there I could see the amount of effort they go into designing and developing the products and to begin with could understand his stance that on premium prices support continued development. Over that time I could see it turning from genuine innovation to marketing led and began to
    The working environment was also old-fashioned, and nowhere as forward thinking as I thought it would be. If you are a young engineer I’m sure the experience is great, RDD was separate from the rest and many looked and acted like they were still at uni. Many loved JD, many more who didn’t have the correct accent didn’t.
    It will be really interesting to see what the electric vehicle project turns out to be, they have employed lots from the automotive industry but at the same time I don’t expect it to be conventional at all. I can’t help thinking that like Tesla, QC will be their biggest challenge.

kerley

You’ve simultaneously proved the point and missed it. That’s impressive.

Not really. Well aware of Dyson and his pro Brexit stance but the point I was referring to was about buying other stuff from other companies.
    I won’t argue that I am not impressive though, thanks.

PrinceJohn

Surely the reason Dyson opened the factory in Singapore was directly down to Brexit? ie – importing to the whole of the EU & world from there without worrying about any uncertainty apart from one small insignificant country.

We got the gtech, very good…

Premier Icon bruneep
    Subscriber

Vax blade 2 40v still going well. if anyone cares

Surely the reason Dyson opened the factory in Singapore was directly down to Brexit? ie – importing to the whole of the EU & world from there without worrying about any uncertainty apart from one small insignificant country.

No. He sells 2% of his products to EU countries and his main and growing markets are in the Asia Pacific region. So what would be the logic for not moving his operation to where his market is?

retro83

wobbliscott

No. He sells 2% of his products to EU countries and his main and growing markets are in the Asia Pacific region. So what would be the logic for not moving his operation to where his market is?

Are you sure on that number wobbliscott? Sounds very low. Did you mean growth rather than sales?

Premier Icon zippykona
    Subscriber

Our Dyson works for 5 seconds then stops. Then I have to put it on charge for a minute ,then it’s ok to use.

Also it won’t work if it’s cold outside.

Ewan

To answer my original question, I bought a Vax air blade 2 max thing – it’s good and has replaced our normal cleaner entirely now.

Best of all I didn’t give any money to the loathsome Mr Dyson.

footflaps

I thought the main reason he’s moving the HQ to Singapore is to avoid Inheritance tax. e.g. There is no capital gains or inheritance tax in Singapore. In the UK inheritance tax is charged at 40% on anything above £450,000.

So basically a billionaire unwilling to pay his fair share of taxes in the country which enabled him to acquire his great wealth (he made extensive use of the legal system sueing Hoover etc over patents).

nickjb

I doubt its due to personal tax. He’s always been a keen tax payer. Older article: the-billionaires-who-do-pay-their-bills-including-james-dyson
    and a more recent one: uk-biggest-taxpayers-sir-james-dyson

Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.