• This topic has 22 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by nbt.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Best Christmas lights in Cheshire.
  • ThePinkster

Where are they?

Bit of an odd one this, but my parents are coming to stops for a few days this weekend and Mother has asked to see some good Christmas lights.

She’s not too mobile these days so access by car would be good but not essential.

Any recommendations? I’m guessing Chester would be a good start but is there anywhere else?

Cheers.

geetee1972
    Free Member

They are actually in Poynton, specifically one house on the corner if copperfield road and varden road. The Evans family have spent years annoying their neighbours with their ‘chavesque’ take on Blackpool illuminations, so much so that the local council has a restraining order on when they can be illuminated (they have to go off by Jan 6th and not turned on before a certain date).

Rumour has it that a plane once tried to land there mistaking the house for Manchester Airport.

This is no joke. These guys are the original Christmas lights gone mad. The truly endearing thing is that while it started as an annoyance it’s actually now part of local folk lore and they collect money for the local kids hospice or something equally worthy. One year Stuart Hall even came to turn them on.

I must get a picture. It’s just round the corner from where I grew up so its been going on for the last 25 years or so.

villageidiot
    Free Member

“One year Stuart Hall even came to turn them on”
    You do mean the lights don’t you?

ThePinkster

😆 @ villageidiot.

Cheers geetee, that sounds like it could be worth a trip out just for the experience.

geetee1972
    Free Member

“One year Stuart Hall even came to turn them on”

Brilliant brilliant! PMSL 😀

geetee1972
    Free Member

I told you it was part of local folk lore. They’re raising money for Macmillan cancer nurses, so very worthy.

Stockport Express Story

geetee1972
    Free Member

It gets better! In 2010 Jack Marsden turned them on!

Don’t know who Jack Marsden is but who cares!

ALso found a picture but it doesn’t do it justice. It’s far more impressive in real life.

geordiemick00
    Free Member

could try Brighton, if she’s not easily offended 😆

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCgV-FnEcGQ[/video]

geetee1972
    Free Member

I;m going to have to go see that for myself!

br
    Free Member

Good on Jack M, didn’t have a clue who he was, but good on him.

Just glad I don’t live next door…

IHN

Jeez, can you people not read? It says right there in the article:

Heartbeat star Jack Marsden”

🙄

ThePinkster

The actor will dress as James Bond for the occasion – a big screen role he once auditioned for.

😆 Not that good an actor then 😉

geetee1972
    Free Member

You a big fan of Heartbeat then Simon? 😉

ThePinkster

geordiemick00 – Member
    could try Brighton, if she’s not easily offended

😆 That’s the funniest thing I’ve seen in ages. 😆

IHN

You a big fan of Heartbeat then Simon?

Not since Nick Berry left 🙂

Bregante

That Brighton video is fantastic!

Cougar

It’s a spoof, apparently. But very well done.

RoterStern
    Free Member

You could always head a bit further south to Staffordshire.
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=WKm2Gwiq4Cg[/video]

geetee1972
    Free Member

I think this should be a separate thread. It’s got far too much mileage to get lost.

project
    Free Member

Any recommendations? I’m guessing Chester would be a good start but is there anywhere else?

Working in chester the lst few nights late on, the place is a deserted boarded up place,cheap and nasty lights hanging accross the roads, illuminating the cracked pavements, and urine puddles on the rows.

A bit of colour is added when a paramedic car or bus goes past.

ThePinkster

Cheers for the vivid description Project, I’ll bare that in mind. 😆

Bunnyhop

Right I’m off to Poynton later 🙂

Edit: I was a shameless ‘Heartbeat’ fan and have no idea who Jack Marsden is.

nbt

am most disappointed in geetee’s recommendatory powers. the house on the corner of varden and copperfield isn’t doing christmas lights this year 🙁

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Best Christmas lights in Cheshire.’ is closed to new replies.