Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Best cheap garden cinema projector?
  • Premier Icon woody71
    Free Member

Hi folks

The good weather has got me thinking / fantasising about getting out into the garden for those long fun filled lockdown nights.

Wondering if a cheap garden cinema projector could add a twist for the family and film night but don’t want to spend a fortune – in fact I want to spend as little as possible

Anyone got any experience of using the cheap ones you typically find on Amazon?

Ta
    Woody71

Premier Icon Poopscoop

Can’t help but great idea.👍

Premier Icon woody71
    Free Member

It’s my tip – gonna be big i reckon

Could even beam sufferfest onto wall on 120” screen size

😃

Premier Icon jairaj

I’ve got one of these (although I think in paid ~£100 a year or so ago so I think the price has gone up).

It’s small and compact bit not very bright only about ~100 lumens so you need to wait till the sun is low on the sky and the screen is in shade to view it and it’s not particularly high resolution and the colours are not natural ….

But when you have an image that’s 100” you don’t give a crap about the image quality the fun novelty aspect of it is great.

I’m normally a big AV nerd and analysing the picture quality or sound quality for the hifi.

But when the mini projector comes out I don’t give a crap! It’s just fun watching stuff on a big screen.

So based on that just get any old thing and enjoy it!

Premier Icon woody71
    Free Member

@jairaj – do you use a proper screen or a white wall?

Woody

Premier Icon roger_mellie

I’m sure your neighbours will love you. Bad enough hearing neighbours TV from inside their house when I’m outside in the garden in the summer.

Premier Icon jimmy

I like the idea, so I googled it.

https://www.whathifi.com/best-buys/best-outdoor-projectors-budget-and-premium

This was also on an Amazon page. *Looks* decent, 7000 lumens?!

Premier Icon sgn23
    Free Member

Getting the sound to multiple sets of headphones will be your biggest technical issue, unless you live miles from your nearest neighbour.
    Anything else would be very antisocial.

Premier Icon scunny
    Free Member

roger_mellie

I’m sure your neighbours will love you. Bad enough hearing neighbours TV from inside their house when I’m outside in the garden in the summer.

You sound fun.

Premier Icon b230ftw
    Free Member

+1

The “do what I want and sod anyone else” crew.

They probably have a Union Jack hanging out one of the front windows too. 😂😂

Premier Icon zilog6128

Getting the sound to multiple sets of headphones will be your biggest technical issue, unless you live miles from your nearest neighbour.
    Anything else would be very antisocial.

this. Unless you live in a neighbourhood where everyone routinely blares music out in the garden or out of windows etc (in which case **** it crack on 🤣) it would be extremely antisocial IMO – most people will be wanting to enjoy their gardens in relative peace without Top Gun being cranked out at max volume from over the fence!! Just don’t get people who feel they have to inflict their noise on everyone else instead of containing it inside their own home. (Apologies to OP if he does in fact live on a 5 acre plot in the middle of nowhere 😃)

Premier Icon jimmy

Invite the neighbours round? They can wrap themselves in a Union Jack to keep warm. And burn a few tyres.

Premier Icon thegeneralist

Invite the neighbours round? They can wrap themselves in a Union Jack to keep warm. And burn a few tyres.

Sounds like cool idea. You could also get a drone and then film all the people watching.

Maybe even live stream the drone footage onto the screen so people could watch themselves watching themselves…

Premier Icon jairaj

@woody,

In my flat I just project it on the wall as its a clear white wall and the picture quality is OK. As I said the times when I use mine its more of a fun occasion rather than an ultimate cinema experience.

I’ve used it once outside (away from neighbours) and used a projector screen cloth. It came with holes to attach it to something and I just tied it between some trees with rope. Took a bit of jiggling to get square(ish) and taught. Might see if there is an affordable pop up stand thingy I can get as an add on for next time.

Mine has HMDI socket as an input and headphone socket output for audio. I plug in an Amazon firestick to use as a video source and a small set of speakers for better sound. Both of those are powered from a USB power bank and the projector’s battery is good for a couple hours of watching. Its uses 12v power so I recon I could add a lead acid battery or even make up a li-ion power pack for it if I needed more run time.

If using for your garden and you can use an extension lead, I’d just look for one of the more affordable projector options that you can plug into the mains. They will have more powerful lamp than mine one and should produce a better image in brighter conditions.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.