Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • best cheap DIY way to hang bikes vertically?
  • taka
    Free Member

i’ve got 10 bikes to hang up in the workshop tomorrow somehow i previously had a few hung up in the rafters on pulleys but it was impractical to get them up and down all the time whats the best things to use which are available at your standard hardware shops?

tom

ji
    Free Member

I use something like this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Storage-SupaTool-Universal-Plastic-Coated/dp/B00CP429C6 drilled into the wall. Bike hangs by front wheel, or if space is tight alternate hanging by front and rear wheels.

taka
    Free Member

cheers i think they will be the best bet

samuri
    Free Member

Those hooks work great.

Bike hanging by Jon Wyatt, on Flickr

cr500dom
    Free Member

I HAve these,

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Delta-Leonardo-Wall-Mount-Bike-Rack_37436.htm?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=AdwordsProductAds&utm_campaign=Adwords&gclid=COK41-LMk7kCFXMgtAodBT0AXg

Pic from Evans but available from Halfords too

I have mounted them on 45 degree wooden blocks to angle the bikes flatter to the wall and take up less space too

luket

I was surprised at the price of them when I did this. I didn’t see the need to protect wall from tyre with a back plate so went with these:

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/cv-501-bike-hook-id_3760125.html

At the time they were a hell of a lot cheaper than the other options and they did me a few years fine. The rubber tubing deteriorated on some but for the money I’d get the same again. I had about 8 of them in the garage of my last house.

I think I got mine from eBay rather than decathlon. They might’ve been cheaper.

stumpy01

I planning on making a start on what samuri has done this week end, mixed with a dose of cr500dom’s 45 degree mounting position.

Been meaning to do it for ages so they don’t stick into the garage so far.
    cr500dom, what did you use for 45deg. blocks? I was thinking of using angle fillet timber, but don’t know how available it will be locally.

Gonna use some of those simple red plastic coated hooks and put one in horizontally to mount the wheel in, as well as two vertically with some distance between them so I can mount the frame off a QR if I have taken the bike (wheels off) in the car, to save having to fit the wheels just to hang the bike up. Will get some cheap QR’s with a section of plastic pipe in the middle to act as an axle for this purpose.

taka
    Free Member

job done still 5 more bikes to find space for running out of free walls now..

scotroutes

Meh. Red matches my eyes!

cr500dom
    Free Member

stumpy01

I planning on making a start on what samuri has done this week end, mixed with a dose of cr500dom’s 45 degree mounting position.

Been meaning to do it for ages so they don’t stick into the garage so far.
    cr500dom, what did you use for 45deg. blocks? I was thinking of using angle fillet timber, but don’t know how available it will be locally.

I have a Dewalt Chop saw, so I just cut some blocks out of 3×2″ and fixed to the uprights in the shed.
    You will need to put a corresponding angle block on the wall for the rear tyre too as otherwise the bikes all move about too much.

once they are all hung, I can pull them in tighter together with a Bungy strap.

I`ll get a photo later so You can see what I mean

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘best cheap DIY way to hang bikes vertically?’ is closed to new replies.