Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • best chain cleaner / degreaser?
  • scandalous
    Free Member

Help please!

Thank you!

prawny

I’m using the Green Gunk from Halfords with a cheap chain cleaner, shiny shiny!!! 8)

chambord
    Free Member

I just use turps. Is this bad?

Having said that I’ve started using rock ‘n’ roll chain lubes recently and it keeps the chain so clean I haven’t had it off the bike for ages. A good soak, firm wipe with a rag and bobs your uncle.

tomkerton
    Free Member

Diesel is what I was recommended and now use after asking the same question on here.

Works like a charm and costs c.£1.35 a litre!

prawny

That’s a good point actually, I might start using diesel, don’t know why I didn’t think of that before. A lot of pro road teams used to use diesel back int day. Probably still do but with Morgan Blue branding on.

bigmick25
    Free Member

paraffin:- place chain in jam jar of paraffin shake leave for a while remove chain wipe ,re oil and refit.

jobro
    Free Member

I use a mixture of petrol and four stroke oil (a little bit) in a chain cleaner because I always used this on motorbikes.
    Might give diesel a go thinking about it.

oldnick

Is this different to the stinking diseasel that goes in my car?

A little neat Fenwicks in a chain cleaner, goes down the same drain as the rest of the bike wash water rather than storing and then disposing of old fuel.

griffiths1000
    Free Member

Couple of inches of petrol in a 2Litre pop bottle. Drop chain in, put lid on, shake like billio for 30 seconds, fish chain out and re-fit, re-lube with chain lube of preference. Keep the dirty petrol in the bottle for next time.

If you have a fast link in your chain the whole thing can be done in a couple of minutes.

freeagent
    Free Member

White spirit works for me.

cloudnine
    Free Member

That fenwicks squirt on mousse stuff is great.. doubles up as an after shave too

kcal

parrafin here. soak overnight or scrub, leave to dry / wipe clean.

I’d prefer Fenwicks to diesel due to the fact that, as far as I know, it isn’t carcinogenic.

Conan257
    Free Member

Screwfix do some cheap degreaser in a 5l container. It’s been working fantastic in my JTF degreasing system!

jobro
    Free Member

I’d prefer Fenwicks to diesel due to the fact that, as far as I know, it isn’t carcinogenic.

Is it?

I know diesel exhaust fumes have clear links but I didn’t know that diesel as a liquid was. Could you post a link please
    Ta

jonathan
    Free Member

What are you lot doing with all these lovely chemicals when you’ve enriched them with chain gunk?

I’ve been using this stuff recently (pick up from the LBS): http://www.cloverchem.co.uk/uk/products/hard_virosol_uk.htm

Works brilliantly (and I’ve tried a LOT of degreasers over the years) and costs half as much as most of them

griffiths1000
    Free Member

What are you lot doing with all these lovely chemicals when you’ve enriched them with chain gunk?

Petrol in a pop bottle-use it over & over, grit & gunk settles on the bottom and if it gets too much pour the petrol off the top into another bottle….or ever needed something to light that bonfire…. 😉

Stevelol
    Free Member

I just squirt some muc-off into my chain cleaner, used to have some proper degreaser but find this works just as well if you keep on top of it.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Swarfega jizer.

honeybadgerx

Is it?

I know diesel exhaust fumes have clear links but I didn’t know that diesel as a liquid was. Could you post a link please
    Ta

If you’re pouring/handling open containers of fuels then you’ll be breathing in the vapours (both the fuel and additives are technically bad for you). [geek mode] The amount of vapour you breath in re-filling your car at the petrol station is actually higher than the recommended annual exposure limit for say your back garden if it were on nasty soils full of gunk [/geek mode].

mindmap3
    Free Member

I use Finish Line citrus stuff which seems pretty strong and cuts through the worst of the crap. If it’s bad, it’ll ho in my pot if skanky turps for a soak.

bacondoublechee
    Free Member

The best I’ve found so far is Viro-sol, even diluted with water about 1:1 seems to work better than proper chain cleaner stuff and a hell of a lot cheaper. Plus being a citrus degreaser I assume it is more environmentally friendly.

jobro
    Free Member

Thanks honeybadgerx for that.

I’d assumed it was the outcome of combustion that changed the risk factor of diesel rather than the fumes themselves being dangerous.

teasel
    Free Member

it’ll ho in my pot if skanky turps for a soak

Sounds kinky…

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘best chain cleaner / degreaser?’ is closed to new replies.