Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • Best camping lantern?
  • Pook

We’re about to go on our first family camping trip and are just gearing up. What lantern is STW’s illuminator of choice?

allthegear
    Free Member

Set of battery-powered fairy lights from Maplin (probably mega cheap right now)

Rachel

brassneck

The gas ones give great light and a little warmth but no use with younger sprogs – they run really really hot. I have a couple as our main lamps, great for sitting out and playing games, reading etc.

Funnily I did buy a little one from Maplin recently but it wasn’t massively reduced I think  – £11 ish, 3 light strengths, 6 hours on max which was decently bright, USB rechargeable. Good enough.

We have a box of 5-6 lanterns and everyone has a LED head torch too, posh Petzl for te grownups accumulated at birthdays, cheapy Poundshop or Alpkit ones for the children depending on trustworthiness. You wouldn’t think it was possible to lose a head torch whilst switch on in a dark camp site, but there you go.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Wind up/usb charge decatlon jobs.

Gas ones are great though great sound.

Have a couple of paragin paragin ones that are bloody useless for actually seeing what yiu are doing but are nice for ambience.

molgrips
    Free Member

Gas is a PITA because the mantles always break.  And they go through gas pretty quickly.

We have a Black Diamond one which is my favourite.  Looks like they’ve updated the range now – they are called Orbit, Voyager and Apollo in increasing order of size.

martymac

Dynamo torch, with a diffuser made from a plastic milk container.

Cougar

With the disclaimer that I can’t give a personal recommendation as I never got around to actually buying it, I looked into this a couple of years ago and wound up bookmarking this one:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B016W30EEA

db

<span class=”il”>Recommend what you use – Black</span> <span class=”il”>Diamond</span> Moji XP

Good light, dimmer, runs on 3 AAs, you can hang it up or just stick it on a table.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Plenty of rechargeable jobbies which will then act as a power bank to recharge mobile phones etc. We always charge up three or four and take those. Don’t depend on just the one. The good thing is that they last forever if you don’t use them as power banks – which we try not to but they’re handy if you’re stuck for a phone/BT speaker charge.

bob_summers

Not for everyone, but Coleman unleaded every time.  Bright as you like, relaxing noise as it burns, same fuel as my stove… Did a couple of weeks in March with a  10l jerry can of unleaded hammering 2 petrol lamps and the stove (dark early, no lights on site, hot water bottles and endless brews every night)

plus

5thElefant
    Free Member

I’ve got a few of these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HeroBeam-LED-Lantern-Technology-Collapsible/dp/B0189UAMEG

Great for camping and for power cuts.

footflaps

Not for everyone, but Coleman unleaded every time.

+1

Only thing we found which lasted through the night at Mountain Mayhem and could light the whole camp (did need a few pumps every few hours to get the pressure back up).

DaveRambo

I also have a Coleman unleaded and it’s excellent – It’s bright and cheap to run plus it will warm a tent at night.

We also found it v useful at Mayhem.

In addition I have a couple of led lamps that run from a powerpack – they are OK but not really bright enough

euain

Does it need to be top spec/fancy? I’ve left my lantern in the bag last trip and just used these:

http://amzn.eu/60S43jo

They were on offer a couple of weeks ago too. Loads of light, small, hang from vent at top of tent. Great wee things.

Yak

We use an old oil storm lantern. Not the brightest but give a nice glow that will last all night. Ideal for 24hr racing, just turn on the led jobbie when riders pit.

benp1

How bright does it need to be?

For not so bright, but nice light, try the UCO candle lantern (really soft warm light) or using a diffuse object and shining a light into it. I like using a big container/bottle of water and a torch pointing up or down into it

marcgear
    Free Member

Got a UST 30-Day lantern after reading a review online.  Very happy with it.  Batteries last forever – we normally leave it on the dimmest setting unless we’re hunting for something and want the extra light.  Very rugged, and the hook and handle work as you’d expect.

Amazon: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00ABUSWR2

Review: https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-led-lantern/

globalti
    Free Member

Don’t forget the midge repellent and mozzie coils.

Alpkit do some pretty cool camping lights: https://www.alpkit.com/featured/camping-torches-and-lanterns

brassneck

Gas is a PITA because the mantles always break.  And they go through gas pretty quickly.

Mantles are indeed a PITA. Gas wise though a cylinder usually lasts a years camping for us, and that seems a reasonable return.

TheDTs
    Free Member

Parafin Tilley for us. A bit like making a nice G&T of cup of coffee, it is also a bit about the process of making/lighting it which gives pleasure.

molgrips
    Free Member

Gas wise though a cylinder usually lasts a years camping for us

I love the light from gas lamps so I wanted to like the one I have but I chewed through so much gas, especially at things like Mayhem, that I had to retire it.  Also, the glass broke whilst  being carried in a rucksack that also contained a climbing rope and a tent.  Expensive, that was.

Mikeypies
    Free Member

We have a Tilley lamp which runs on paraffin lots of light and heat and will run for hours on one fill, you can get all the spares . The Coleman lamps which run on petrol/coleman fuel/panel wipe are great but I dont like the idea of petrol lamps and stoves as if a seal leaks you have a big problem.

P20

We had the lantern style ones and not been that impressed. We now have a usb lamp from eBay, clips to the roof and works far better. It’s the same as the alpkit, but way cheaper. Failing that small usb front lights like moon comet work well in smaller tents

iainc

I bought an Alpkit one a few years ago after a similar thread on here and find it really good…

shifter
    Free Member

LED thing that looks like a lightbulb. Takes one AA and hangs from a shonky little carabiner. Had it years and it’s been great.

benp1

This one seems good https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lanktoo-Waterproof-Rechargeable-Emergency-Backpacking/dp/B01AUIMH9S/

dufresneorama
    Free Member

Gotta the 500lumen version of this.

https://www.lightingever.co.uk/led-lanter-light-300lm.html

It’s been really good. Batteries last for ages

rickonwheels
    Free Member

I’m going to second the suggestion of battery powered fairy lights for a decent spread of light hung from a canopy/ tarp etc.

We’ve also got a Feuerhand Hurricane Lamp – not super bright but will run all night on a small amount of oil, nowhere near as hot and dangerous as a petrol lamp.

ransos
    Free Member

Coleman LED for inside and gas for outside.

WillH

We’ve got a Black Diamond Moji which is excellent.  Doubles as a night light for the kids if you want, as it has multiple power levels.

Off the back of this, I’m tempted to buy their bigger one:

Edited to add: we also have a Coleman gas lamp, which has done many years of solid service, makes a nice background hiss for camping ambience, has a nice soft colour to the light, but does get hot (not good for having young/clumsy kids around) and needs a bit more care when being packed away/transported.  It doesn’t get a look-in nowadays.

beargotsoul

Alpkitb lampray, lasts a few nights or if only one  night can be used to charge “devices”

batfink
    Free Member

Depends how serious you want to be about this whole camping business…..

The Coleman stoves and lamps that Bob_Summers (and others) suggested above are absolutely the best kit you can get for “static” camping.  I’ve used them for decades myself, and with groups of kids 8 – 21, who can be easily shown how to work them (under supervision for the younger ones, obviously).  Changing the mantles can be a bit fiddly, but you have to do that so infrequently that it’s not really an issue.  Both the stoves and lamps are completely bombproof – as you can imagine, have seen them dropped, kicked, and generally mistreated for years and years, but they just keep going.  Spares are plentiful, and the fuel is universally available.

If you are going-in hard with the above, it’s worth getting the collapsible legs/stand for the stove, and the plastic box for transporting the lamp.

Having said all that – if you are just dipping your toe into camping, my advice would be to get some cheapy LED jobs from B&Q or wherever.  They really cost no money these days, and are probably made in the same factory as more expensive camping-specific ones.

superfli
    Free Member
    molgrips
    Free Member

Having said all that – if you are just dipping your toe into camping

Haha.. ‘serious’ campers need gas.. all you people who are simply ‘on holiday’ can get by with inferior LEDs.. FFS.  What actually is ‘serious’ camping?  You all sit around frowning?  I’m not sure I’d like to be on a ‘serious’ camping trip?

Get over yourself!

CraigW
    Free Member

Not much point in gas lanterns nowadays. LEDs are brighter and lighter weight, and easy to switch on and off as required. And last longer, so long as you have enough batteries.

And much safer to use inside a tent.

batfink
    Free Member

Get over yourself!

Egh?  It was more to do with the cost.

As in, if you’re just thinking of an occasional camping trip, maybe not worth dropping a ton of cash on some quite “serious” kit.

Certainly sounds like one of us needs to “get over” themselves….

BadlyWiredDog

If you want a posh LED lantern, the Goal Zero one is very nice, but quite expensive… they do other versions too.

https://www.goalzero.com/shop/lights/lighthouse-mini-lantern/

I guess functionally t’s not that different from the Alpkit equivalent, but better build quality and replaceable, posh batteries. For racing I’ve always used the bog standard Camping Gaz lanterns, but tents and flames aren’t a great combination. And don’t get me started on ‘fire boxes’…

molgrips
    Free Member

But what does ‘serious’ mean and why does it matter how ‘serious’ your camping is?  And why does it have to be gas or liquid fuel?  Why does going regularly mean you cannot use an LED?

LEDs give out plenty of light, and don’t need faff with liquid fuels. There’s no benefit to gas, really, unless you like faff.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Two of the smallest cheapest ones from decathlon.  Plenty of light in our family tent. Plus a headtourch for hands free outside stuff. On low light they work for ages. Never realised it was so complicated.

BadlyWiredDog

But what does ‘serious’ mean and why does it matter how ‘serious’ your camping is?  And why does it have to be gas or liquid fuel?  Why does going regularly mean you cannot use an LED?

Serious campers use proper flaming torches, none of this liquid fuel, gas or LED crap. Better still if you can make one from an actual tree or carefully selected flammable pot plant / rare orchid / birds nest and light it using two piece of wood and an improvised bow…

Anyway, if you’re not serious, my vote goes to the Alpkit LED lantern.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Best camping lantern?’ is closed to new replies.