Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Best budget-ish small smartphone?
  • chakaping
    Free Member

As title, my wife thinks her Wileyfox something-or-other is too big for her hands, it’s a mid-size phone – maybe five inch.

It’s gone on the blink so we’re looking for a smaller replacement, budget flexible but nothing silly.

Tech nerds do your thing, please.

Cougar

I think the only people still doing not-crap small form factor phones is Sony? Either that or some sort of iDevice maybe. Iv’e not looked for a while though so could be out of date.

It’s a real gap in the market unfortunately, I’ve struggled for years now to get something half decent that isn’t the size of a small tablet when I’ve changed phones.

joshvegas
    Free Member

If its for one handed Operation Motorola’s have a feature where hold your thumb on the screen and swipe down toward your palm and it condenses to that corner.

Its quite effective. Especially if the rest of the time a big phone would be useful

chakaping
    Free Member

Thanks both.

She had a Sony before but the design of the thing was a bit fiddly and annoying. Could have improved though.

My Huawei does that thing where it makes the screen smaller too, I’ll mention that. I know fitting in pockets is another issue though.

kerley
    Free Member

An old model iPhone SE. If can’t get new then get a grade A used one. Great size, great performance and suits my needs. Will be ashamed when it stop supporting latest iOS version which I guess will be with iOS 14.

kormoran
    Free Member

Argos were doing the 6s for about 200 notes. Thats pretty small

nickjb
    Free Member

Recently picked up a King Kong Mini as a biking phone. It’s ruggedised and somewhat waterproof. Decent enough memory. Seems fast enough in use. By modern standards it is tiny. 4″ screen. Best of all, only £95 or so. Only downside seems to be pretty average battery life

Next to an admittedly big G7 power

Cougar

Ooh I like that. I like that a lot.

ebygomm
    Free Member

i can’t understand why they don’t make smaller phones, there’s so many articles looking at smaller phones (although the size they list as compact seems to get bigger all the time), i would have thought there was a market.

I have a Samsung A3 at the moment which is at my limit of being able to hold comfortably. Filled with bloatware and would never have been my first choice but was about the only android option available at the time that wasn’t huge. I’ve no idea what i’ll do if it dies.

Samsung S10e would probably be my first choice at the moment, but it is fractionally bigger. Probably not a budget option however

matt_outandabout

Mrs_oab just got rid of a dying iPhone SE, for a 2020 SE. By eck is good, especially the camera, but is bigger.

She considered a Sony XZ1 Compact as my XZ1 is a great phone, but couldn’t get on with the ‘sharper’ corners or Android after 6 years on Apple.

kormoran
    Free Member

King kong mini looks ace. Very interested

phil5556

Will be ashamed when it stop supporting latest iOS version which I guess will be with iOS 14.

SE should be getting iOS 14 👍

RAGGATIP
    Free Member

Samsung S10e is still a little bit too wide for smaller hands in my opinion. Sony Z3 Compact, although quite old in the tooth now and perhaps a bit fragile still has adequate technology within but I stick on custom ROMs which get rid of all the bloatware. Certainly makes old devices last much longer.
    Anyway I’d advise going for a Sharp Aquos R2 Compact if you can find one.

pampmyride
    Free Member

King Kong Mini, I got one of these £70 as new. So tested it as an MTB phone used on bar mount for routing. Following a great britain topo maps route & with strava in the background it used 60% battery over 3 hours. Okay for shorter rides then. It has type c usb so fast charges 20% in 20 mins or so from a powerbank. My powerbank is a bit bulky, so I’m waiting for a smaller one to arrive. Great small phone, just needs a battery boost depending on use…

I’ve A sony z3 compact that has a much better camera, but was probs from day 1 – rejecting SD card, crashing & finally the blank screen of death. A new phone but with complete tossers running the warranty dept.

My old Motorola Moto e 2nd gen solders on – i’ts dog slow compared to above phones, but for map & strava use runs for 6 – 7 hours easily. Progress?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Best budget-ish small smartphone?’ is closed to new replies.