Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • best budget action camera/gopro
  • ianpv
    Free Member

I’m sort of looking for a gopro or similar to film when riding with the kids – doesn’t need to be really special, no aspirations for a youtube channel or anything. but I figured that by now, some of the gopro knock-offs are probably pretty good. Budget is as low as possible really for something that is reasonably easy to use and will work in the woods!

I’d consider a 2nd hand one, too, if that was going to give me the best deal.

Anyone got any ideas?

Cheers,

Ian

wrightyson
    Free Member

In all honesty the gopro 7 is everything you will want bar budget. Its simply brilliant. Imho best money weve spent on camera stuff ever, with the simple gopro ap i created a great film from this years big family holiday, it also takes great stills. I was so hugely disappointed with my original black hero 3 when filming at speed, still got some got great stuff from it but nothing riding wise, mainly band held clips and pics

nealglover
    Free Member

I got an SJCAM M20 on Amazon for £21 delivered and it’s awesome.

ianpv
    Free Member

that’s cheap nealjglover – can’t see that camera for anywhere that price on amazon at the moment!

scruff9252

I got an SJ Cam SJ4000 a couple of years ago. It’s just ok – it takes moving pictures but the colours are pretty wishy washy.

My pal had a new 4k go pro at the start of the year – images from that were night an day different from mine.

I’m planning keeping an eye out for something better during black Friday sales next month.

nwmlarge
    Free Member

Forget anything other than a hero 7 they are untouchable by other cams in this field.

you’ll only end up upgrading later and you will get about £2.50 for whatever else you buy when you come to sell it.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

I’ve got an Akaso V50 pro which takes pretty good footage . I’m not deluding myself that it’s as good as the Hero 7 but then it only cost about £100 and came with a load of accessories . Something with image stabilisation is pretty important if you are using it when cycling .
    Here’s a bit of footage shot in Scotland on a glorious April day this year . Ignore the fact that I had the camera pointing too low and had it in it’s little waterproof shell which I didn’t need to use but is responsible for the noise as the camera rattles round inside it .https://www.facebook.com/neil.helks.9/videos/10220011531022508/

PJay
    Free Member

The GoPro Hero 8 is now available for pre-order- https://gopro.com/en/gb/shop/cameras/hero8-black/CHDHX-801-master.html but it’s not cheap.

I’ve a little GoPro Session 5 which is fine and doesn’t take up much space on the bars but battery life isn’t that great.

scruff9252

The Hero 8 does look good, but at a couple off coffee’s short of £400 it’s pretty serious money!

It’ll be interested what offers are around on the 7 come black friday…

I just put together some footage from last month using the SJ4000 I mentioned above if you want to see the quality of the footage.
    Loch Spelvie

(don’t know how to embed video’s, sorry)

wrightyson
    Free Member

The 7 is truly worth the money. I think they are also offering a cash back deal with any old camera.

isitafox
    Free Member

I’m happy with my Hero 5 black currently, definitely worth looking out for a 5 or better on ebay

andy8442
    Free Member

A second hand Hero 5. Absolutely fab.

mikertroid
    Free Member

The new 8 lacks a replaceable lens. Bit of a show stopper as I’m on my 3rd lens on my 5, so I think a 7 is the one for me.

My g/f has a Hero 4 black that will be up for grabs very soon….

breadcrumb

I fancy the 7 black, hoping for a for a good deal with the 8 due soon.

timmys

I went though..

…Aldi thing the mother-in-law gave me (crap)
    …then an SJ4000

and finally a GoPro Session.

The SJ4000 video quality was fine but, the ease of use compared to the GoPro was awful.

Essentially I’s go for whatever GoPro you can afford, be that used or new.

breadcrumb

Well I’ve just ordered a Hero 8 Black.

I was going to trade an old Panasonic Lumix DMC TZ6 in, had an online chat with someone at GoPro and he gave me a 25% code. So £95 saving rather than the £100 trade in but no hassle sending the old camera in.

scruff9252

Now that is tempting! – I’ve a broken old DSLR in the loft.

This could turn out to be a spendy month…

breadcrumb

Yeah it’s pretty good. The Hero 7 isn’t being dropped, the line up goes

7 Silver – 7 Black – 8 Black. The 7b White has been dropped though.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘best budget action camera/gopro’ is closed to new replies.