• This topic has 25 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by toby1.
Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Best bluetooth speaker £100ish?
  • tizzzzle
    Free Member

Looking at a Bose alternative – UE Boom is 99 quid on amazon but am I just going to regret not paying the extra £60? Cambridge Audio Go is also looking a good option too. Any advice? ta

timc
    Free Member

The Cambridge audio one that’s £120 is a winner

loddrik
    Free Member

Cheaper on Richer Sounds

tizzzzle
    Free Member

Yep timc, that’s the one I was looking at.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Just bought three of the cambridge ones for my daughters – look very good and have the advantage of also charging their phones (all our phone chargers are dying).
    Richer sounds also do them for £120 but grudgingly dropped to £115 as i was getting 3.

toby1

Sorry to drag this back up again, has anyone done a direct comparison of the Bose Soundlink Mini and the Cambridge Audio Minx Go?

Which is better at ‘regular’ listening volumes?

partyboy1101
    Free Member

Don’t overlook the Native Union Switch. Seems to do all that the Cambridge will do and very good sound for a bluetooth speaker.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

I can only say that the Soundlink Mini IS pretty darn faultless but only you can tell if it or any other is worth the money to you. You need to get the BOSE nearish to a wall to get the full amazing effect but it is pretty blooming brilliant. Only thing I could niggle about is that you have a different charger lead to as the mini USB socket is only for software updates. But on the plus side the battery is user replaceable when it stops accepting a full charge.

mills
    Free Member

Agree with eddiebaby about the sound link mini, bass is amazing for the size, is it worth the extra £60, up to you. Not tried any of the others

toby1

Cheers Gents, I think a visit to a store with both is in order so I can compare, also started looking at the Jongo S3X as it connects with others on the same wifi network.

To be honest I have no problem with spending the money if the sound really is that good.

There was a time, when I were a lad, when there weren’t nearly as many toys to choose between!

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Don’t just try them on a desk in the middle of the room. Get the Soundlink with the back about 18″ to 2′ from a wall and on a hard surface and the sound is brilliant. I’m sure other speakers will have similar gains from correct placement.

GJP
    Free Member

I just bought the Sony SX 5?for £99. Considered the Bose, which is a better size, but put off by the price. The limited research I did put the Sony ahead of the Bose. The Pure Voca also looks good and John Lewis were doing the for £60.

The Soundlink Mini is £135 @ Exceptional AV

Linky

tizzzzle
    Free Member

I ended up with a Cambridge audio g2. It is amazing, highly recommended for 100 quid

torihada
    Free Member

After much research I bought the Bose Soundlik mini from JL (Its a bit cheaper at present: £150). Its great. Use when traveling for work. I get over 7 hrs continuos use out of it. Mrs T now uses it home as well; never need to turn the volume up high. As everyone’s mentioned, place it backside to a wall to get deeper base/more resonance. I think the charging base is a bit pointless and annoying they didn’t use a mini USB port for charging. Its a 9/10

superfli
    Free Member

I bought the Cambridge Audio Minx Go early this year. Although not quite the power of the Bose Soundlink (not the mini, the full size one), its still got plenty of guts and is plenty enough for BBQ’s, kitchen, camping etc.
    I used it for our trip to the Alps in July as the van had no stereo. One charge and 13 hours later it was still going strong! The battery life is amazing!
    Only disappointment for me is the bluetooth range which is pretty poor (approx 4 meters)

Bregante

My brother in law has the Bose Sound link and I was massively impressed by it over the Christmas break. Slightly above my budget though but it made my mind up that I needed a bluetooth speaker in my life so I’ve just picked up a Sony SRS X2 and if I’m honest I can’t tell the difference soundwise -it’s superb. Got mine off Amazon on boxing day for £48 including next day postage.

The only “negative” in comparison to with the Bose is it charges from a mini USB rather than the nifty sound dock on the Bose.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

We got a UE one from PC World a few weeks ago. £100, reduced from £170 originally (allegedly). It sounds really good for it’s size & it can be charged via USB on a laptop/PC or mains, comes with all the stuff to do it. Not a bad size for travelling either.
    Noticed they’ve put them up to £129 yesterday.

nickc

To add to the mix, I picked up a JBL flip 2 from PC world, at 50% discount, it’s a steal. Sound is more than acceptable.

househusband

Was given, totally unexpectedly, a BOSE Soundlink Mini for Christmas and I am utterly amazed at what it can do for its diminutive size. Will be selling my JBL Creature speakers as they’ll now be rendered surplus to requirements!

luffy105
    Free Member

I bought the UE boom one from John Lewis in their black Friday sale for £79. Have to say I’m pretty impressed with it and like the fact if you buy another you can link them up for stereo sound.

It has rendered the Bose sound dock useless so will be getting rid of it. The UE is just so more sturdy and practical.

ampthill

I bought a a Sony XR3 for £70 from John Lewis

If I hadn’t heard the Bose ones first I would have been blown away by them, the whole how does a bx that small make that much bass thing. Probably not much different to the Bose but a lot less money

Buying a surprise present for a 17 year isn’t easy but he seems genuinely chuffed with them

cb

We went UE Boom as well and it sounds good IMO. I would have chosen the Bose if money were not a factor.

birky
    Free Member

I got a Sony SRS X3 just before Christmas, well impressed. Bought from Tesco with £35 of vouchers doubled up.

toofarwest

I listened to both the Bose and UE ones when I was looking (they were both the same price in Currys at the time)
    I remember What HiFi rating the UE one just in front of the Bose in their reviews but personally I preferred the sound from the Bose so went with that.

toby1

Thanks all, useful to have plenty of opinions. Should have said Sony is out of the picture as I find everything from them a massive disappointment.

I currently have a Sony ‘do it all’ stereo that has iPod compatibility and blue tooth, only it doesn’t recognise my iPod, and while it was OK with a Nexus 4, it doesn’t synch with a 5 or the onePlus.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Best bluetooth speaker £100ish?’ is closed to new replies.