Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 115 total)
  • best bike you have owned.
  • ton

spurred on by the 1st atb thread, what is the one bike that you class as the best you have owned?

mine, Ventana el capitan 29”. big perfect bike for a big bloke.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/6sZVgd]STW Howgill Fells – 31-5-09[/url] by Dee P Jay, on Flickr

hairyscary

Genuinely, my current one, a Vitus Sommet Pro. It is better, at just about all aspects of the riding that I do, than any other bike I have ridden.
    My riding mate says that it is noticeable how much more relaxed I am on this bike than all my previous bikes.

This evening on Millstone Hill in Aberdeenshire.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

My daughter’s Specialized Hotwalk, now handed down and in use by my son.

It’s given me, and them, more smiles and more fun than any bike I’ve had for myself.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    orangeboy
    Free Member

Many come and go. It still enjoy my 2003 enduro sx
    Not the most capable bike but always makes me smile

Bregante

Certainly not “best” in terms of all rounder – that would be a Cotic Solaris (had two) but this is far and away my “best” bike and probably the only one I’ve had any real sort of attachment to.

jimw
    Free Member

My Cotic 29er. I still have it, don’t see myself moving it on anytime.

postierich
    Free Member

Just got rid but a better version coming in two weeks Ti Stooge with Travers Carbon forks
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/Vx2qDi]Untitled[/url] by Richard Munro, on Flickr

BigJohn

I have a Mk1 Soul. I’ve recently given it an upgrade consisting of a 10 yr old 140mm Pike (yes I know it’s beyond the scope) short stem, wide flat bars, Hi Lo dropper, and you know what? It’s magnificent.
    Every aspect is obsolete. Worth nothing at all. 26″, 2×9 27.2, steep angles, but I beat my young pal on his transition scout carbon and have just as much fun.

I’m desperate for someone to point out where I’m going wrong.

russyh
    Free Member

My Current YT Jeffsy is getting to be. But for me the best bike I have ever owned is my old Banshee Spitfire! By best I mean the most confidence inspiring, enjoyable ride! Loved it!

metalheart
    Free Member

Love the one you’re with….

But my old Kona Explosiv (the biaxial tubing one) from back in the nineties. Bike I rode the best on… 😳
    It almost felt a part of me

somouk
    Free Member

I had a Klein with pace forks and XTR running gear when I was a kid and racing that Dad had off a fella at his work cheap as he was getting divorced.

It was awesome and loads better than the Kona i’d been riding up until that point. I had it for a couple of years then the fella wanted his bike back so we did him a deal to have it back.

sssimon
    Free Member

Cannondale rush carbon 2009 i think. Wish they would make a 29er that felt as “right”

Mackem

My current one.

Chumba HX1, 150mm fork, 26″ wheels. Ideal for me. I’ve tried plenty of other bikes and not been that fussed. Apart from the Orange 4. I might buy one.

chiefgrooveguru

My lightly modded (-2 deg headset) Banshee Spitfire:

Monsters gnarly uplift days in the slack setting but is still a fun and lively singletrack ride in neutral. And pedals and climbs improbably well.

alexpalacefan

O-O 456. A great fit for my little legs.

APF

firestarter
    Free Member

Probably my old Turner 5 spot, why ever did I sell it

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Trusty Rusty/Triggers Brush. My 1990 framed Fleet HT…

This is the Mk 7 version. The only original tubes are the RH seat & chainstays. (the beauty of fillet brazing)
    I’ve had it since 1995-6 & will never get rid.

P20

Essel that sounds like it needs a thread to tell its story if that’s all that’s left of it!

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Essel that sounds like it needs a thread to tell its story if that’s all that’s left of it!

I’ve tried before but not many seemed interested. 😥

PiknMix
    Free Member

A 2010 Marin Attack Trail, it wasn’t a looker but it was the most fun I’ve ever had on two wheels. I will never forgive myself for selling it.

postierich
    Free Member

Forget my first post
    THIS
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/7YriJ]DSC00190[/url] by Richard Munro, on Flickr

jimplops

My b+ codeine 29, probably the cheapest bike I’ve built up over the last 20 odd years, but the only one that’s felt right and been loads of fun!

garage-dweller

My on-one 456
    It’s a bit of pig iron and badly finished (frame) but it fits like a glove can do XC rides, trail centres, it’s had a rack on it with a child seat for both my boys, its my bike of choice for just hopping on for riding with the children and has been ridden/set up as a rigid 69r for winter filth too.

My FS bike is better for full tilt, longer rough rides but it’s not quite as raw and engaging.

metalheart
    Free Member

Forget my first post

Sure, I’d say that was more of a gate anyways…. 😉

giantalkali
    Free Member

Both of my current bikes, a DMR Trailstar LT and a Specialized Pitch FS. Utterly out of date but a great pair

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

I bet no one will ever say this again, but the frame I liked the most & rode to a literal death was my Azonic Propulsion, I loved it & it took me a lot of wasted money to realise why, it had a really slack seat tube & normal (for the time) head angle, which put my weight further back & made it fun rather than efficient, the Burner that replaced it still sits in the loft after only a few rides & I did try a enduro sx & a Norco but it was always the steep seat angle that stopped me loving them, strangely HT’s seem less affected by a steeper seat tube to me, but all my frames are on the playful side.

Cheers.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Forget my first post

Is that the one you swapped price tags on? 😆

fin25
    Free Member

Mk.1 Genesis Longitude, set up singlespeed with Jones Loop bars. It fits me like a glove and really helped me go from total novice to full on bimbler. Plus I think it looks the absolute shit, I mean, just look at that headtube…

postierich
    Free Member

If I remember rightly I took the price tags off 🙂

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

If I remember rightly I took the price tags off

at least we can all laugh about it now, not that it wasn’t funny at the time…

Cheers.

honourablegeorge

Deffo think my bikes have gotten better over time – the current one (Gepmetron) is better than anythign I’ve had before. My Last FF is comfortable my best hardtail ever too, though smaller sample size.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Merlin XLM, stolen before it ever got properly hammered so it will always be potentially the best bike I ever owned.

SaxonRider

I have honestly never been happier than I currently am with all of my bikes. But I do have a special place in my heart for my summer racing bike, a 2014 Wilier GTR.

Northwind

It’s my current one tbh, hopefully that’ll always be my answer, why replace a bike with a less good one? It’s a boring Trek Remedy 29, covered in shiny bits. I’ve had a lot of great bikes but it does stand out. Never thought I’d be a Trek fanboi.

My Ragley Ti ruined me for hardtails though, I’ve never even tried to replace it.

rudedog
    Free Member

Ragley mmmbop – not the best looking bike but rode great. Swapped for a transition Bandit which never felt as good

stany
    Free Member

Surely, your best bike will always be your current one, otherwise why ride it?
    Ibis Mojo HDR for me. Been going 4 years and have not touched another bike that puts as big a grin on my face!

flashinthepan
    Free Member

Depends

My current bike (as per stany, above) is a Mojo HD. Easily the most capable bike I’ve owned.

But I think I’d pick my Giant Anthem. The original 2007, 89mm travel version. Such a fast and capable bike. Not suited to me now though I still have the frame. Showcases what the big companies can do when they ‘nail’ it. Cheap too (frame and shock cost me £700)

oink1
    Free Member

My fatty trail X0 – its the most fun at least 🙂

BigDummy
    Free Member

Current Pepto-Crush Chromag Surface, for definite. I’ve had a few duds, but this one is The Balls. 🙂

milky1980
    Free Member

My 2011 Orange 5:

[/url]20170706_102122_Richtone(HDR) by Da_Milky_Bar_Kid, on Flickr[/img]

It’s been on countless adventures with me, from alpine holidays to local pootles. I’ve completely rebuilt it once complete with a new colour and then upgraded it far too much purely due to not having the guts to retire it! I have a 2015 Fuel EX that is almost as capable as the 5 on everything bar black runs/uplift days and is better at just getting miles covered but the 5 is still my go-to bike every time. I really should get a new bike and let it live it’s retirement in peace as it’s taken an absolute hammering but every time it comes to that point I just buy it some upgrades. Last lot was some new brakes, new shock and dropper post ready for this summer. Bar a jet pack I’ll struggle next time though, bar going Di2 or Eagle everything is top level now!

It will never be sold.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 115 total)

The topic ‘best bike you have owned.’ is closed to new replies.