• This topic has 74 replies, 60 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by mboy.
Viewing 35 posts - 41 through 75 (of 75 total)
  • Best bike shop?
  • kongman28
    Free Member

For those in the Kent area Larkfield Cycles has helped me out on numerous occasions.

rOcKeTdOg

Arguments? i’d hope most of the shops mentioned are here because of merit, not because the owner is a ‘mate’, no argument about that

stratobiker
    Free Member

Pearce Cycles in Ludlow take some beating. Not only a great shop with friendly knowledgeable staff, but Pearces also put a lot into the sport.

My bro’ who lives dahn sarf always uses Marshals.

kiwi_stu
    Free Member

I can recommend my LBS called Cheltenham Cycles in Cheltenham. Great service and nothing is too much of trouble from any of the guys. Always friendly and very completive on price. (Shame they do not stock Specialized).

Also I have had very positive experience from the Specialized Concept store in Bristol. Very friendly and deliver on what they promise. Even have had coffee there while I waited for my new S-Works Epic to be setup. So in the future I will is seeing more of them for servicing.

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

Spoilt for choice here (Poole). First choice is Ride cycleworks, for organising rides and top service. If they haven’t got what i want, bikelab or Primera probably have, as they always have top kit in both and the service is good in both. All within a few minutes walk.

bullheart
    Free Member

I’ll second the Tunbridge/Kent posts. I went in to a shop in T-Wells looking for a half-link for a SS chain. The assistant was helpful, but the owner/manager (?) looked at me like I’d taken a dump on his breakfast…

If you’re reading this, Mr LBS owner, remember who pays your mortgage…

BE PLEASANT! ❗

robdob
    Free Member

I would have to say Velocity Cycles in Huddersfield too. After many years of mail order they have restored my faith in bike shops. By far the best in Huddersfield. Not a great deal of stock yet but I am going to keep going! And I can walk to it, score!!

timdrayton
    Free Member

pitsford cycles in northampton!

top blokes all, understanding and helpfull in doing my low margin bike fettling tasks.

they’ve got some lovely carbon road bikes in at the moment too.

I try and buy kit from them when i can, but I am pretty anal about getting the best price for expensive kit online, searched about for ages for some forks, then when i was in there to get some pads they whipped out some 08 fox f100 rlcs in white, brand spanking full warranty etc, rrp price tag of £509 still on em, mine for £350.

PlumzRichard
    Free Member

i hear the people that work in pitsford cycles are brilliant so talanted, good looking and intelligent, they are the gods of the bike world!! 😛

… okay maybe i do work at pitsford cycles haha

YoungDaveriley
    Free Member

Betd for us chaps and chapettes in the Potteries. Done and doing plenty for mountain biking in our area.

ton

not one shout for stif…wonder why….?

racing_ralph
    Free Member

I am lucky enough to have these guys as my LBS 🙂

http://www.18bikes.co.uk/

ton

i was in there on friday, bought a spoon….. 8)
    a friend hired a cotic susser and broke it…. 😥

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Ton,

I’ve just bought something from Stif (’bout a week ago) and it hasn’t arrived. (Low value item which I couldn’t find anywhere else)

Should I be concerned? Are they a bit shyte?

ton

stu, i would check thet they have even sent it…
    when you are spending megabucks they are all over you.
    i have phoned in and asked them to order smaller stuff, and when i phone say a week later no one knows anything about it.

they seem to have a ‘don’t give a ****’ atitude.

chewkw
    Free Member

Go to a bike shop that does not think you owe them a living.

If they are rude and think you should just hand your money to them then by all means find one that deserve the money for being polite.

Good ones should be rewarded and the rude ones let them be … karma will work in a magical way.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Cheers mate.

I’ll get on the blower on Monday.

djglover
    Free Member

Evans Cycles
    😕

Goz
    Free Member

RD, should have been in today….we had can endless supply of homemade cake……

Midnighthour
    Free Member

‘Bike’ in Bristol, opposite Habitat. Nice people who make sincere efforts to be helpful and informative. They acknowledge their customers exist, unlike Bike Dock. Politeness really does get customers back through the door!

atlaz
    Free Member

My lbs are Freeborn and East St Cycles. Not bought from Freeborn but the staff seem friendly and knowledgable and interested, even when I’m twice as old as them. East St are pretty good and even when I had an “issue” with some stuff they did for me, they tried their absolute best to make it up which says a lot for them.

Both are a thousand times better than Cyclopedia in Tolworth whose staff couldn’t be bothered to sell me anything. Ever. I’d rather go to Halfords. Or Argos. Or Asda.

hora
    Free Member

Best? CRC (sorry does it have to be a physical shop?). They are local as all kit is next day and the service is generally good.

Lots really as the staff tend to have a shared-interest. There is one though that in the past I have put alot of business their way (frames, wheels, forks etc) – Cycle Surgery- wouldnt touch that chain even if they offered me free sex.

Rivett
    Free Member

Mellors in Shrewsbury.

mudpup
    Free Member

For a better Kent xperience, try Senacre Cycles, Maidstone or Bike Warehouse, Sevenoaks.

Spesh99
    Free Member

Another vote for The Bike Chain in Edinburgh.

Also Bothy Bikes is good if you are up that way.

shoefiti
    Free Member

No one ever mentions ‘Sideways’ anymore – always used to pop up a load of times as best cycle shop, even by folk who had never even been there, just as it was trendy to say they liked it!!! i’ve nothing against Sideways or Tim, but it did used to grate that folk only said it was great for no other reason that he had cool ads in ST magazine.

RustySpanner

Blazing Saddles in Hebden Bridge and Cooksons in Whitefield Manchester.
    Edinburgh Bike Co-Op in Manchester also seem to know their stuff.

I’ve had shockingly bad service from the ‘Bicycle Doctor’ in Rusholme on two separate occasions. I’ll never ever buy anything from them again.

soops
    Free Member

The guys at Sowerby Brothers in Mirfield are a good bunch!

Flaperon

Big Peaks in Ashburton… always feel welcome whenever I go in, and they give the impression that nothing is too much trouble. And I usually get a discount, a cup of tea, and a chat. ‘Nuff said. 🙂

bullheart
    Free Member

soops,

Interestingly Bob from Velocity started at Sowerby Bros before getting his own place. Good customer service; must be something in the air in Kirklees…

MRanger156
    Free Member

Moonglu in Ripon and dare I say it Stif – always been good to me.

ransos
    Free Member

I think a few shops in Bristol suffer from “too cool for school” syndrome. Bike are ok (as mentioned above) but my favourite is Strada on North St. They fixed my front brake for a low price last month, plus have a good range of spares & interesting kit on display.

Lardy_biker
    Free Member

If you think kent is bad for riding, try south london. Though we do have the quite good Brixton Cycles. Always freindly and chatty, nice line in socks too.

Saccades
    Free Member

For the UK – Conventry cycle centre, I was trying to source alfine stuff to Ireland and they couldn’t have helped more.

Would be happy to go back to again.

For ireland :worr:

mboy
    Free Member

Good Bike shops I’ve used before, and wouldn’t hesitate to use again (in no particular order):

Cheltenham Cycles
    Worcester Cycle Centre
    About Bikes near Evesham
    Sideways Cycles (yup, Tim is as good as his reputation!)
    Swinnertons Cycles
    John Atkins Cycles
    Coventry Cycle Centre
    Bike Shed in Cardiff (only been there once but they gave me massive discount just cos they know my mate!)
    Beeline Bikes in Oxford
    Noahs Ark
    JE James in Sheffield

Any of these I would happily use again in their vicinity. There have been plenty of bad bike shops I’ve visited in the past though, and without wishing to name names, usually the larger the bike chain or the store, the worse the service is. You may not get the range of products in a smaller store, but more often than not (in my experience at least) you get much more helpful/knowledgable staff and a better service, and the possibility of discounts too (often without even asking).

Viewing 35 posts - 41 through 75 (of 75 total)

The topic ‘Best bike shop?’ is closed to new replies.