Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Best Bike Bag for Airline Travel ?
  • hitman
    Free Member

Can anyone recommend a bike bag to protect a carbon frame road bike on the airlines?

I have looked at the Thule Round Trip Transition which seems expensive ( at £400+) and is pretty heavy (I want to keep inside the 20kg weight limit). http://www.thule.com/en/gb/products/luggage-and-bags/bike-bags-and-racks/bike-transport-cases/thule-roundtrip-transition-100502-_-1683469

Also had a look at the Polaris Bike Eva which is cheaper (£250) and lighter but looks to offer less protection.
    http://www.polaris-apparel.co.uk/product/eva-bike-pod

I’m also wondering if these will fit my larger mountain bike also (not at the same time!)

Any advice on this would be great.

Cheers

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I’d take a look at the Evoc soft bag, it’s solid and well thought out, takes road & mountain of all wheel sizes (mate had an XXL Cannondale in his last week) mine has been on 20+ planes this year with zero issues. Bag weighs under 9kg so should hit the 20kg for a road bike easy. I’d also look at accidental damage on the home insurance and delayed/damaged luggage on the travel insurance to cover some hire if things go bad.

frogstomp

Evoc with the road bike fork adaptor.

Soft bag with solid base and stiffening rods.. might struggle to get a MTB in under 20kg though.

downhilldave

Plus one for Evoc. Again, 20kg is unlikely with a Mtb methinks. Tend to pick flights/airlines that have a 30kg limit for the bike.

hitman
    Free Member

Cheers everyone,will take a look at the Evoc. Initially it’s for travel with a carbon road bike, so should be able to keep under 20kg.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I do 23kg (limit on Virgin/Air NZ down here) with my Blur LTc, anything porkier and it’s not happening.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Evoc

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Best Bike Bag for Airline Travel ?’ is closed to new replies.