Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Best base for Galloway Corbetts
  • Premier Icon mrb123
    Free Member

After a bit of local knowledge, as per the title…

Considering a trip up to the Galloway area, mostly to climb the Corbetts in the area and probably also the ones over the other side of the A74M.

Wondering what the best base would be. I’ll be going with my wife so preference would be for a nice little town with a few accommodation options, pubs, places to eat etc.

I guess Newton Stewart may be the obvious place but any comments on that or any other places in the area would be helpful.

Thanks!

Premier Icon grum

Not a local but the Buccleuch and Queensbury arms in Thornhill is nice and does a fantastic beef wellington 🙂

There’s a book shop cafe and Italian ice cream/coffee place also. Near drumlanrig castle.

Edit: maybe not that near the Corbett’s though, not sure.

Gatehouse of Fleet is nice also.

Premier Icon terrahawk

https://www.brewery-house.com/

can’t go wrong staying with Jon and Nicole.

Premier Icon Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Castle Douglas for the rhinn of kells, both cairnsmores and the awful hand, about as central as you’ll get and the nicest town in the area.

Premier Icon matt_outandabout

For a nice spot which you can nip into the few roads into the hills, I would err towards Kirkcudbright or Castle Douglas. Kirkcudbright has everything you need really for a week, Castle Douglas more choice but extra 10 mins drive.

I wouldn’t be down on one of he loops around the coast – it would add a fair bit of driving.

ones over the other side of the A74M

This is quite a different area really – a fair old distance away. Perhaps two base holiday needed?

Premier Icon mrb123
    Free Member

Thanks all, I’ll get the map out tonight and have a look at those suggestions.

The Corbetts over Moffat way aren’t too much of a concern as we can pop over there on the way across or stop off on another trip North.

The main thing is getting the best and nicest base for the Galloway peaks.

Free Member

Castle Douglas more choice but extra 10 mins drive.

Kirkcubrigh is nearer merrick, but CD is nearer the other Galloway corbetts.

Premier Icon gordimhor

Have to agree with others Castle Douglas fits the bill. Though for me personally it would be Newtown Stewart or more accurately Minnigaff every time.

Premier Icon properbikeco
    Free Member

Six and half a dozen as to whether you stay in East or West of Stewartry. I stay in Castle Douglas, but Kirkcudbright, Newton Stewart and even Gatehouse or New Galloway are all nice.
    Be aware there are a very limited number of pubs and restaurants open atm, however plenty of places seem to be doing takeaway.

Premier Icon thelawman
    Free Member

One accommodation option for the Moffat Corbetts, if both of you are ‘game’ for it, is Gameshope bothy just south of Talla Linfoots. White Coomb and Hart Fell can certainly be done in a single day from there, and Broad Law is not far the other side of the road where you’d presumably be leaving a car if staying at the bothy. It may not be a wholly sensible idea to stay there in February like I did some years ago, but spring or summer it’d be a load warmer and more amenable.
    (Appreciate this does not answer the question originally posed, but since when did that stop anyone on this forum…)

Free Member

Never been to minnigaff Gord, need to go now!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Best base for Galloway Corbetts’ is closed to new replies.