• This topic has 26 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 1 week ago by boblo.
Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Best “bang for buck” road bike finishing kit
  • letmetalktomark

As above …

Looking for a few bits for a new build.

27.2 layback post

Stem ~ 110 with a little drop

Handlebar 440 ~68/130

I’ve tried 3t, Deda, Fizik, Thomson no issue with any of these but there is always …… moar!

Any good suggestions?

rascal
    Free Member

Zipp?

alan1977
    Free Member

ritchie/ey

midlifecrashes

Easton, Ritchey.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

I’ve used Control Tech stuff on my builds.

TheGingerOne

Prime

didnthurt

Deda was the best balance of weight, cost and performance when I built up my last bike 3 years ago.

Easton, Thomson, Zipp and Ritchey are all more expensive unless you are happy having different brands on the same bike.

monkeyboyjc

Brand x? What advantages does a logo make?

13thfloormonk

What advantages does a logo make?

Looks. I like the mid-range Ritchey stuff (i.e. posh aluminium rather than carbon) as it looks smart and is reasonably light etc.

I’ve had Brand-X carbon fail on me so I do think there is a small premium to pay for better kit, granted you do end up paying for logo/looks.

finbar
    Free Member

Fizik posh alu stuff all the way.

chakaping
    Free Member

Well a stem is a stem IMO.

Not even sure what brand mine is, probably a Deda.

And I’ve always previously chosen bars and posts based on a mix of weight, reputation and price – and with discounts even more prevalent than normal at the mo, I’d just see what’s going cheap and also fits your requirements.

It’s funny how (as above) mid-range Ritchey stuff seems a good option (I loved the Logic bar) but their carbon is mega-money. I’ve usually ended up with 3t when buying carbon bars.

13thfloormonk

Fizik posh alu stuff all the way

Do they still do posh alu? I’ve got two stems as Wiggle were selling them off at one point. They are nice though.

monkeyboyjc

Looks. I like the mid-range Ritchey stuff (i.e. posh aluminium rather than carbon) as it looks smart and is reasonably light etc.

So your paying for vanity, nothing else. Best bang for buck will always be black non & branded.

I’ve had Brand-X carbon fail on me so I do think there is a small premium to pay for better kit

Yep and I and many other will have broken other brands carbon (and Ali) parts.

chakaping
    Free Member

So your paying for vanity, nothing else

I haven’t tried all the brands, but I found my Ritchey alu bar to be notably more comfy than most and the best shape ever.

I’m by no means a brand whore, but ride feel and ergonomics do come into it with bars.

Stems not so much obvs.

13thfloormonk

So your paying for vanity, nothing else. Best bang for buck will always be black non & branded.

Aye fair point, I was forgetting the ‘bang for the buck’ element!

onewheelgood

KCNC. Always well made and cheaper than the big brands.

poah
    Free Member

Buy whatever fits your demands. I have a cheap carbon post off amazon, 380mm wide 70mm reach ZIPP ergo alu bars, grotesque blue bar tape, couple of gold bolts

mert
    Free Member

Whatever high end aluminium stuff is on deepest discount.
    Usually end up with last years Deda. I like the shape of the bars, quality is good, weight is ok.

BadlyWiredDog

I’m by no means a brand whore, but ride feel and ergonomics do come into it with bars.

Yep, this. I’d argue that it’s worth spending more to source a bar with the right drop, reach and shape for your needs rather than just buying whatever’s cheapest and might be okay.

TiRed

Ritchey. Although I just swapped seat post and stem for titanium on the Enigma 😉

boblo
    Free Member

13th is correct. The ‘only’ answer is mid ranged ally Ritchey stuff. Looks decent quality (unlike Deda), is decent quality, is reasonably light and is reasonably priced.

/close thread

Runs and hides… 🙃 Of course there are other choices but why would you?

mert
    Free Member

To be fair, i used to use a lot of Ritchey stuff, then i got a bar that had a subtly different bend on each side, one was rotated about 3 degrees down (or up) from the other side. Took me weeks to work out why the bike felt odd. Then the bar i got under warranty to replace it had the same fault.
    And the super square shape of another (untwisted) bar, the top to drop transition meant i needed new outers twice a year…

finbar
    Free Member

Do they [Fizik] still do posh alu? I’ve got two stems as Wiggle were selling them off at one point. They are nice though.

Ah, it appears not. Just been on their website and the road components section is all on sale with nothing new.

Shame. I guess there is only a very small market for reasonably expensive road stems/seatposts these days as practically every new bike from the mid-range upwards has integrated versions.

finbar
    Free Member

Looks decent quality (unlike Deda), is decent quality

😀

Deda make me laugh. More than once I’ve been suckered in by some preposterously low claimed weight for Deda finishing kit and bought it only to find out its 40% heavier.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Ritchey kit always seems to be the the best bang/buck. Rarely the lightest claimed weight but (in the days before carbon) they would usually top group tests for handlebars for being stiff enough in the drops while sprinting without being harsh normally.

And a stem is a stem as long as it’s not too flexy, although there are definitely stems that aren’t stiff enough. If you don’t believe me, try swaping between something cheap/light and something known to be overkill like a Thompson X4 or other MTB stems.

A seatpost is a seatpost (but even the cheap ritchey ones are oval butted internally).

Depends how fussy you are being. I’ve got Ritchey WCS on my nice road bike, it seems to make a difference on >100miles. My others have a random assortment, because either they have bigger tires or only get ridden for a few hours at a time.

joebristol

Stuff that’s on offer mostly. I picked up a USE carbon post from their outlet for £20, a carbon slightly aero handlebar in the Ribble sale for under £40 and got a Deda stem for maybe £20. All pretty light and do the job as they should. You could spend more on bling stuff, but if it’s not in a sale then you’re mostly buying brand image and maybe some marginal gains.

boblo
    Free Member

then i got a bar that had a subtly different bend on each side, one was rotated about 3 degrees down (or up) from the other side.

Aaaaah now then. You got a couple of pairs from a special batch they made for the Police. Y’know, specially for the long arm of the law…

Badoom and indeed tish. I’m here all day, try the fish etc 🤣

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.