Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Best app for Alps
  • zerocool

What’s the best iPhone app for recording distance, speed, climbing/ascending, max speed, etc while out in the Alps?

And can you use Strava abroad with data roaming switched off so you’re not going to get spanked by a massive phone bill due to data use?

Ta

Tom KP

wallop

Strava works a treat in the alps, though there aren’t as many segments as when at home. If you spend a lot of time in trees then it might not be so effective. Just use it with 3G switched off and then upload your rides when you have wifi.

Best bet is to use a Garmin though IMO.

zero-cool
    Free Member

Cheers, have no interest in whatever segments are, I just want to clock max/average speed and ascending/descending height just out of curiosity. Don’t want to spend any money on a Garmin or similar.

Ta

Tom KP

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    eulach

Peakfinder – Not what you asked for at all as it doesn’t do all that speed recording stuff but it does tell you which mountain is which.

coogan
    Free Member

Used Strava and Endomondo in Spain last October. Strava a bit more reliable. Endomondo seems a bit wonky these days.

Superficial
    Free Member

Have a look at skitracks. Obviously it’s designed for skiing but it will give you all the stats you want as well as number of runs, total ups/downs, max speed etc if you’re on chairlifts.

wallop

+1 skitracks. I’ve always found Strava to be quite glitchy in terms of gps accuracy, but I’ve not found that with skitracks.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Best app for Alps’ is closed to new replies.