Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 119 total)
  • Best (and worst) gig you ever went to
  • barnsleymitch
    Free Member

In addition to the ‘first live band you saw’ thread. Mine would be (at least for today) :
    Best – The Clash, Leeds Uni (1978 or 79, somewhere about then).
    Worst – Bowie, Phoenix festival 1996, I went back to me tent and made a cup of tea rather than face anymore.

ton

best, alabama 3, town and country, leeds.
    worst, elton john, galpharm stadium, huddersfield.
    even worse, santana, men stadium, manchester.

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

ton – as a Wakey lad, did you ever go to Players?

ton

i did mate, downstairs?

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

Aye. I used to play drums for the Juvies 😳 so practically lived there at one point.

jota180
    Free Member

Best – Probably Dr Feelgood @ a random pub in that London 75ish

Worst – Ozzy Osborne [can’t remember where]

instanthit
    Free Member

best, The Clash 78, Out On Parole tour, Torquay Town Hall.
    worst, killing Joke about three weeks ago in Exeter. Probably seen worse but they were recent and reminded me never to see old reformed punk bands!!

BoardinBob

Worst is easy – Clapton sometime in mid nineties. Just awful.

Best – Radiohead at Meadowbank Stadium

Turnoisier
    Free Member

Best – Pink Floyd on their final tour, Earls Court 1995, I think.
    Worst – Testament, Bradford St George’s Hall, sometime in the late 1980s.

Garry_Lager

Best – The White Stripes in Glasgow a few years back. Not even that big a fan but that bloke is hands down the best rock performer I’ve ever seen.
    Also Bonnie prince Billy in Edinburgh one time was amazing (seen him a few times and he’s hot and cold).

Worst – Seen some shite at festivals over the years. Worst who I actually liked and expected to be good was Pavement in London mid-90s. Didn’t seem to have it that night.

binners

Best: Same as the first. The Cult at Manchester Apollo 1985. Or teh Pixies. One of the last gigs before they split up. Oooooooooh -or Kraftwerk at Manchester Velodrome. That were ace!!! 😀

Worst: Probably Kings of Leon at the Apollo. Looked like they really couldn’t be arsed being there. The fact we’d seen the Prodigy the night before at the same venue just served to emphasize their meh-ness

ton

mitch, i thought the juvies were a skinhead band?

julianwilson
    Free Member

Best: either Pantera at Plymouth Pavillions roundabouts 1993, or Badly Drawn Boy in one of the domes at the Eden Project last summer.

Worst: mmmm, probably Senser at a ‘don’t bring in the JSA’ demo/free festival in about 1996; after the rather intense rapping bloke had left. Oh, or Saxon circa 1993, whose novelty wore off after about one and a half tunes.

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

Ton – no love, they were a rockabilly / psychobilly band.

takisawa2

Best: Cold War Kids, Side Room of the Academy, Birmingham.

Worst: Coldplay, Birmingham, NIA.

ton

talking about rockabilly, i saw the stray cats…..they were fantastic.
    and can you remember the soliciters? saw them at the jockey, fantastic.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Worst – John Butler Trio at Brixton Academy. The venue was full of very loud Aussies so you could hardly hear the band. And when you could they were poor. We had one beer and left.

Best – Massive Attack in a square in Bristol. Absolutely stunning.

marsdenman
    Free Member

Best – mmm. toughie – i’ve not been to many, thankfully, they’ve mostly all been good…

Worst – Jools Holland and his big band at M’cr Apollo – had seen them at their outdoor gigs a couple of times, enjoyed them.
    Apollo was just to small for them – too much / too many sounds for the space and, oh, i was with the soon to be ex mrs mm – stood together yet so far apart….

A very random gig memory – Simple Minds at Maine Road…. between acts I pop to the little boys room. As I, ahem, sat and pondered, I could hear a steady increase in the number and volume female voices. A lot of them. I was 100% sure I was in the gents as i’d passed urinals on the way in…
    Next thing I know a female face appears over the door.
    ‘ere, will you ‘urry up – there’s a queue!’

john_drummer
    Free Member

Best: Sisters Of Mercy + New Model Army + Skeletal Family, Huddersfield Town Hall c1983/4
    Worst: Gene Loves Jezebel c1987 Bradford Uni. So bad i spent the whole gig playing pool

theotherjonv

Best – Pixies at Newcastle Uni, Sugarcubes at newcastle poly, or House of Love at Newcastle Riverside

Or of course any Wedding Present gig ever

Worst – Martin Stephenson and the Daintees. Rubbish, and i got told off for singing along to just about the only song i knew.

MrsToast
    Free Member

Best – possibly Fear Factory on the Demanufacture tour, Iron Maiden in Paris in 1999, Pantera on the Reinventing the Steel tour, or Rammstein. Any Rammstein. It’s the flamethrowers,see.

Worst – I’ve never been to a gig I’ve not enjoyed, but I have seen some truly terrible support and festival acts. Thought Kiss were a bit bobbins at Donington 95, as were Manowar at Dynamo 99. Therapy? have been toss every time I’ve seen them live too, which was always disappointing.

10pmix
    Free Member

I bow down to anyone who saw The Clash in 77 or 78. They trump anyone else 8)

Best: I think the Stone Roses at Spike Island just for the spectacle of it (rather than the acoustics) and as a 17 year old stone roses nut who had got the bus down from Aberdeen it was pretty amazing. Jah Wobble supporting too (with Gary Clail)
    Other than that Curve at The Astoria in 1991 blew me away (standing 2 ft from Toni Halliday was pretty mind blowing in itself).

Worst: Blur at Glastonbury 1994. Got so bored with it all I crowd surfed out and went off to another stage.

Pyro

Best (atmosphere) – the Levellers at Solfest a few years back
    Best (seeing an idol) – Steve Earle at Leeds Grand

Worst, by a mile – Noah and the Whale, Leeds Cockpit. They’re a s##t band, I got dragged by my missus and her housemates. The support band couldn’t sing in tune never mind in harmony like they were trying to, the main set was dire, and they had to keep the one song anyone knew for the encore, or everyone would have left early…

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Best – either Thin Lizzy 1976 or maybe Joe Jackson jumpin jive tour – a great gig

Don’t remember any real stinkers

jota180
    Free Member

I bow down to anyone who saw The Clash in 77 or 78. They trump anyone else

I saw them @ the Newcastle Mayfair around that time and they were very good indeed, I still think Feelgood were better though 🙂

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

One of the best – Bruce Springsteen, The River Tour, 84’ish. Wembley Arena. No support, great atmosphere, had the place jumping
    One of the worst – Bruce Springsteen, can’t rremember the album, 98’ish, SECC. No atmosphere, off tune, just poor. We left before the end and there were a good number of people on their way out.

10pmix
    Free Member

I saw them @ the Newcastle Mayfair

I remember the day Strummer died I met a bloke in the pub who had seem them in Newcastle (oh dear I must have bored the pants of him extracting his views on his night out 25 years prior)…

sweepy
    Free Member

Best The Orb
    Worst Frank Zappa

RustySpanner

Best?

God knows, possibly Faith No More at the International, Here & Now at Band on the Wall, the remnants of the Bonzo Dog band at Bolton last year, Hawkwind (with Simon House, playing the Calvert era stuff) or the Beta Band at the Acadamy.

The worst?

Van Morrison at the Apollo was a grumpy, truculent waste of time.
    Saw the Stone Roses support James at a legalise dope benefit at Manchester Uni before they caught on. They were awful.
    They did get a lot better over the next twelve months though 😀

edlong
    Free Member

Best: Jane’s Addiction, any of several shows

Worst: Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Hyde Park (2005?) – only redeeming feature being the support act – James Brown.

+1 for fond (but hazy) memories of Players, Wakefield btw

emsz
    Free Member

Best was either Joy Formidable at the O2 last year/year before maybe, tiny gig, but they’re such a good noise, that or the Sleigh Bells at Bristol, Sooooooo loud.

worst: Primal Scream 2005 Glastonbury, shit.

Cougar

Therapy? have been toss every time I’ve seen them live too, which was always disappointing.

Wow, I’m surprised at that. I’ve seen them a couple of times and they kicked bottom.

batfink
    Free Member

Best: Foo Fighters
    Worst: U2 at Wembley stadium. Utter sh*te. If I saw Bono in the street, I’d kick him in the balls

clubber
    Free Member

Best – Faith No More at Brixton Academy 1992 – proper mad. no more to say.

Worst – St Etienne at Bristol Uni 1996 – zero charisma or stage presence – would have been better listening to the CD at home. A real shame as I really like their music.

andrewh
    Free Member

Best: King Adora, Oxford Zodiac 2002ish. I’d never even heard of them before they on but they were ace. The clips on Youtube really don’t do them justice.
    And don’t laugh but The Wurzzels are excellent too, they’ve been at it long enough to know what they’re doing. And long enough for one original member to have died…
    Worst: Gay Dad, somewhere in London 2002ish. They spent the whole gig up the own backsides.

edlong
    Free Member

+1 for Therapy being rubbish, they were contenders for my worst until I remembered RHCP

Pigface
    Free Member

Husker Du in Stow Hill Labour club in Newport was memorable. FNM at Brixton for that Video.

Worst Crass or the Exploited because of the mindless violence in the crowd.

Meteors beyond bad due to the Wrekin Crew taking over the security and the moron Fenech directing the fighting from the stage.

ChrisL

Too many great ones to pick out a best, I think. The Flaming Lips are always pretty special live, though.

Worst. Hmm, well MGMT in Glasgow a couple of years ago was pretty disappointing, as were Midlake a few months earlier. Plus there was one Tori Amos gig that I recall trying to fall asleep in – and usually I’ve enjoyed her gigs.

thekingisdead
    Free Member

Two many great ones, recently the naked and famous were pretty amazing, although for sheer intensity, will haven at the barfly will take some beating. They were brutal.

tomtomthepipersson
    Free Member

Best – Pearl Jam at the Astoria ’06
    Worst – RHCP at Excel. A soulless venue and far too much guitar wankery.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 119 total)

The topic ‘Best (and worst) gig you ever went to’ is closed to new replies.