Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Best AM/XC rear shock…. Your opinion please….
  • jskiffin
    Free Member

Hi all,

This has no doubt been asked before, however what is your preference?

I currently have a kashima RP23 200×57. It’s very plush but it looks a bit daft, so I was thinking about changing it, but not sure what yet.

Hence the question, any help is appreciated.

Thanks all.

Scapegoat

Looks daft?

rob-jackson
    Free Member

o
    m
    g

ads678

You should change the title of the thread to “Best looking AM/XC rear shock”…

jskiffin
    Free Member

Yeah, I don’t like the kashima colour, so I thinking it looks daft haha

I’m all about the kit being the best it can be, lightest, plushest, etc….however like many the overall aesthetics of the bike is important.

So if with some direction I can find a shock that will offer the same feel of the RP23 I would be delighted.

jskiffin
    Free Member

I’m not sure what’s wrong with that?

Function and form are equally important, not to all but to many of us, we all want our rides to look the part as much as we want the ride quality!

Northwind

TF just announced they’re carrying the PUSHima RP23 shafts, for added murderness.

RobHilton
    Free Member

I’m all about the kit being the best it can be

So it is about the bike!

jskiffin
    Free Member

Is that the black and grey push shock body upgrades?

Scapegoat

How about rattle-canning the shaft so isn’t that gopping bronze colour? You could use black for the murdered out look, that would be right on trend, or perhaps you could remove the Kashima coating with a Brillo pad to get it back to a nice silvery colour?

rentachimp
    Free Member

Is it the first of April?

jskiffin
    Free Member

Sorry if I sound off here, I’m not sure I understand the point you’re making, of course it’s about the bike.

I still see no problem with the question posed! Form and function in equally high proportion.

Northwind

“New Products from PUSH Industries @TF Tuned

It’s fair to say that we are all pretty excited about this one!

Thinking of upgrading your shock body to something that’s harder
    wearing and lower friction? Scratched your shock body and need a
    tougher replacement? Then move over Kashima, it’s time for the all
    new PUSH Industries ‘PUSHima’ shock bodies for Fox Float/CTD
    shocks.

The black shock bodies have a black lubricant film/ hard coat that is
    both harder wearing and lower friction than the Fox Kashima
    versions. If you are already running the new stealth black RockShox
    Pike/ Revelation forks and have a Fox air shock, then these are going
    to looking pretty trick on your bike.

‘PUSHima’ Black Shock Body – Price £42, fitted as part of a standard
    service (Total cost £135).

Or if you just need to replace a worn out body then the standard PUSH
    Float hard coat replacement body will ensure that your shock keeps on
    going strong.

Standard PUSH Float Shock Body – Price £32, fitted as part of a
    standard service (Total cost £125).

Available from May 2014. “

Could be an April fools but I got the email yesterday so they’re quite bad at it if it is.

jskiffin
    Free Member

Seen em on pink, pretty lame if it is an April fools haha

RobHilton
    Free Member

of course it’s about the bike

The people I know who are “all about the best kit” hardly ride and spend lots of their spare time navel-gazing.

The best riders I know, and the ones who get the most out of it, have got the most battered bikes.

I’m not saying you’ve got it all worng, but would you really prefer a bike that looked the tits but you didn’t enjoy riding over one that looked like crap that gave you endless fun?

For me its all about the riding. Of course a nice bike helps, but even a whole bike that “looks daft” could be a winner

barffy
    Free Member

Would have made more sense to produce them for the Monarch range if you ask me….

kimbers

monarch are all black from next year

kimbers

as for best shock

my monarch is good but on fast repeated hits it gets overwhelmed, I could upgrade to the rc3+ but im unimpressed with the sealing

So ive just got a dhx air, which im about to slip a smaller rp23 air can on and the send to avalanche to get turned into what I hope is an uber shock at about half the price of a CCDB air

mrjmt
    Free Member

That thing from TFT might be an april fool, but even if it is I reckon there’s a market for it. The cables on my FTM rub on the shock body and have already made a couple of grooves on it. Heli tape didn’t help.

Still not sure if it is an april fools or not though!

chiefgrooveguru

I despair…

The CCDBair-CS is pretty hard to fault – but my one might not match your handbag or toe nails.

fuzzhead
    Free Member

I like my Marzo Roco Air – the red brings out the highlights in my hair 😉

A standard RP23? I doubt you can really feel the difference – if you can, spray it with silicone.

Or even better, a PUSH’ed one.

Not sure they are the best shocks out there though

mikewsmith
    Free Member

if your concerned by the looks then your not going to notice the subtitles of the performance differences

traildog
    Free Member

I would wait. My wife is in the beauty industry so she gets to hear about such things before anyone else and she tells me that Chanel are about to release a limited edition nail varnish to match the colour of the Kashima coating.

It’s part of the bid push beauty products at ‘Yummies’ (young urban males who are into personal grooming)and who wear makeup and beauty products. This is a big potential growth market for the cosmetic industry.

I don’t know about you, but I’d be gutted if I spent over 500 quid on a new shock to find that it was suddenly out of fashion. It’s certainly worth waiting and seeing if these new colours take off this summer.

jskiffin
    Free Member

I like the RP23 performance wise, I just think it looks like I have a polished turd on my bike, what the hell is wrong with that!?!

kimbers

not much jskiffin
    the bike industry is built on superficiallity! and many of those mocking you are happy to spunk their cash on the latest greatest shiny objects

personally id get the pushmina upgrade, looks better and you get an upgrade to your shock

jskiffin
    Free Member

I hear you there …. Cheers kimbers.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

As this one started before noon, I’m going to assume it was an April Fool post, (likewise PUSHima).

…but as it’s now after-noon, I’ll stick with a sensible answer.
    The best XC shock may well be the RP23, with volume reducers if appropriate.
    The best AM shock, will be entirely dependent on your view of what constitutes “AM”. Personally, I’d say CCDB coil is the best I’ve used, but RP23 is still pretty good if you want something lighter.
    …and of course different bikes and different riders will all prefer different things.

Northwind

< what do I know about best? but>

I reckon it depends a lot on the frame. Like, RP23 in my Hemlock, lots of linkage action and that, low leverage, generally getting an easy job to do, works brilliant. Same shock in a Five, needs to work a lot harder to make things work, not so perfect. CCDB is fab in my 224 but I’m told there’s other bikes it just doesn’t work that well in, I suppose frames that are designed to work really well with lesser shocks don’t benefit from the upgrade…

Not simple. Buy the one you like the look of.

jskiffin
    Free Member

Northwind

Thank you mate, you are wise 🙂

Ive decided to go for a Bos Vip’r.

Looking forward to testing it out.

See…. to all the manly men, form and function in a little package of joy!

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Best AM/XC rear shock…. Your opinion please….’ is closed to new replies.