Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 104 total)
  • Best Album of the 90’s
  • jimster01

Came across this earlier on today – https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/gjngfgdd8bh9x5mgzwqrrq/your-ultimate-90s-album-vote

Be damned if I could name a favourite from that period. Also a few exceptions….

Also damned if I can get the link to work

Northwind

Hmmmmm. Earth Vs The Wildhearts or Troublegum or Chaos AD or August and Everything After or Post Historic Monsters or Fear Of A Black Planet or 30 Something or maybe Further Down The Spiral or Done And… Dusted or Pinkerton or Flood.

funkmasterp

Soundgarden – Superunknown
    Screaming Trees – Dust
    Jurassic 5 – ST
    Blackalicious – Blazing Arrow

It would be one of those for me.

theotherjonv

Screamadelica.

Different Class

Dummy

tinribz
    Free Member

Space Ritual, best album of all the decades.

sirromj

I Care Because You Do.
    +1 for Fear of a Black Planet.
    I don’t usually do these best music things because I don’t really believe it’s the way to appreciate music, but the above is what springs to mind as a couple of my favourites. don’t see them as the best tho. that’s just stupid 😉
    and forgotten most of it. had loads of mix tapes i listened too constantly. my poor parents!

uponthedowns
    Free Member

SaxonRider

Okay, I really lost interest in music in the 1990s, but I am pretty knowledgeable about music in general, and can probably do pretty well in a game of 1970s and 80s music trivia. But how come I almost never recognise a single album on STW?

Do you lot deliberately play ‘choose the most obscure band/album’ game without ever revealing the rules, or even admitting to us and each other that you’re playing?

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

Predictably, it’ll end up a scrap between ‘nevermind’ and ‘ok computer’.

This still sounds fresh:

Caher

Nevermind
    What’s the Story
    Music for a jilted generation
    Still listen to all of them.

Northwind

Ah, I forgot Jilted, good shout

thegreatape
    Free Member

Leftism for me

Gachet
    Free Member

Sonic Youth – Dirty & Murray Street
    Faith no More – Angel Dust
    Pavement – Crooked Rain, crooked rain
    Alice in Chains – Dirt
    Smashing Pumpkins – Siamese Dream & Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness
    Silverchair – Neon Ballroom
    Live – Throwing Copper

To name a few, the 90s was a great time for alternative rock.

jimster01

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/gjngFgdd8BH9X5mGzwQrRq/your-ultimate-90s-album-vote

See if that works.

I personally rank The Bends over OK Computer, but what do I know..

Must admit that Alanis Morissette was my go to album bitd.

RustySpanner

Beta Band – 3 ep’s.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Ah, there’s a list to choose from – the link was broken earlier. Urban Hymns then.

mattbee

Done even need to look at the list, I can’t even choose between those listed in the thread!
    Some fantastic albums, many of which I still listen to.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Saw that article yesterday and expected a thread to appear here, nearly did it myself.

I’m so torn, bought a number of those listed albums around release, some of which I’ve not played from start to finish for years but they were hammered at the time.

I’ll be amazed if Oasis don’t come out top on their poll, they could walk on water back when What’s The Story came out and were touted as the modern day Beatles.

But for me, it’s not so straight forward, I’ve got ~6 albums from that list. The article made me listen to Drive for the first time in years and reminded me instantly of how often I played Automatic For The People during that decade.

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

Not so much a ‘curates egg’, but more like a sampler in its variety…

gallowayboy

Ladies and gentlemen we are floating in space for Me, but loads to choose from, boy with the Arab strap, Peggy suicide, 3 EPs, dog man star….

duncancallum

Good shoutvon the Wildhearts

Bush 16stone

Pearl jam 10

But ask me in an hour and I’ll have changed my mind

sillyoldman

Thanks for the reminder greatbeardedone!

colournoise

The 90s is an easy choice.

avdave2

If I had to pick one and it was the only one I could ever listen to again it wouldn’t actually be difficult. It would be Automatic For The People.

Lots of good albums with lots of great songs but that’s the one that means more than just a collection of great songs. In the end it’s not about which is the best album it’s about the one that brings back the strongest emotions.

mogrim

Do you lot deliberately play ‘choose the most obscure band/album’ game without ever revealing the rules, or even admitting to us and each other that you’re playing?

What, Fear of a Black Planet, Different Class, Screamadelica??? Hardly obscure albums! (Although Public Enemy isn’t on the list, but should be…)

Anyway, from the list I’d go with “The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill”, “You’ve Come A Long Way, Baby”, and “Different Class”. Although there are some other great albums there. Gives me something to listen to today 🙂

trumpton
    Free Member

Altern8 full on mask hysteria.only just discovered it from a charity shop cd sale.1992.very rare and amazing rave album.the 90s music was amazing for both rave and indie.glad it was my era and I went to loads of raves and gigs.lush and the charlatans had great albums too

eskimonumber1

When you look at the albums on the BBC list you realise how good the 90’s were for great music (although some disagree above) and how many of those albums have stood the test of time.

So glad I lived my yoof through those years.

anagallis_arvensis

I couldnt choose, my favourite ones are about the time in my life. Maybe Never Loved Elvis by The Wonder Stuff or Coldcuts Journeys by DJ, or or…I don’t know.

Trying to be more subjective Nirvana’s Nevermind or REM Automatic for People are good shouts ( was out of time in 90’s or 80’s, prefer that I think…just nothing by that shit Beetles cover act….

beaker

I’m going to have to go with Dummy by Portishead, closely followed by Radiohead’s The Bends.

twistedpencil

DJ Shadow Entroducing

Goldie Timeless

Aphex Twin Selected Ambient Works 85-92

Off that list Bjork Debut

Does everyone reckon that their 20s was the best time for music?!

anagallis_arvensis

No, but it was the sound track to some **** good times!!!

Coyote
    Free Member

Garbage – Version2.0 is a particular favourite of mine.

IHN

When you look at the albums on the BBC list you realise how good the 90’s were for great music (although some disagree above) and how many of those albums have stood the test of time.
    So glad I lived my yoof through those years.

I don’t disagree, but anyone living their yoof in preceding or subsequent decades would say exactly the same thing.

In terms of cultural smack in the teeth, the answer is probably Nevermind.

teethgrinder

IHN

and, FWIW, Definitely Maybe is miles better than What’s The Story

lister

It’s Copper Blue. EVERYONE knows that duh! 🙄

trailwagger
    Free Member

Ahhh, the 90`s. The last decade of music, before it all went to shite and albums didn’t really exist anymore and rock n roll died and everything was commercial and instantly forgettable.

Trouble with these lists is most people throw in their favourite albums. Its never a subjective list of which album contains the best song writing, musicianship, production, art work, etc etc.

and on that note some of my favourite albums from the 90`s

Gomez – Bring it on
    Morcheeba – Who Can You Trust
    Air – Moon Safari
    Stereophonics – Word gets around

anagallis_arvensis

In terms of cultural smack in the teeth, the answer is probably Nevermind.

I agree

mogrim

Yeah, heard a theory (probably on here) that the music you like when you’re about 25 or so will always sound fresh and modern, in a way that music from other decades never will.

chakaping
    Free Member

How have we got to almost 40 posts with no mention of what is clearly the correct answer?

Although there is also a very strong case for Screamadelica.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 104 total)

The topic ‘Best Album of the 90’s’ is closed to new replies.