Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Best 700c Road/Gravel Tyres for Tubeless
  • malteser
    Free Member

Want to get rid of the non tubeless ready Schwalbe G-ones on my Ribble but want something similar as they are great off and on road. Can anyone recommend any that are decent and tubeless ready? I hear WTB Byways might be the way to go…

trailwagger
    Free Member

If you like g-ones then get those in a tubeless variety

fasthaggis

Running Clement X’Plor tubeless .
    Very good on the mixed terrain/surfaces I use them for.

snotrag

Very happy with WTB Resolute in 700x42C flavour. Very rarely have to top them up.

k1100t
    Free Member

Depends what you’re riding…? I was out in the slop this morning, my Conti Terra Trails were as useless as ever. They’re great on actual gravel though…

daern
    Free Member

Want to get rid of the non tubeless ready Schwalbe G-ones on my Ribble but want something similar as they are great off and on road.

Why change? I’ve got tubeless G-ones on my X-Trail and they’ve been superb tyres. Tubeless-wise, they’ve not missed a beat and have yet to burp and seem to need inflating no more often than if I had a tube in. Really impressed, TBH.

You just need the slightly posher version and it should be labelled “TL-easy”. Mine were a bit of a bugger to get seated, but once on, have been completely maintenance free. Love ’em!

isoo
    Free Member

As above tubeless G-Ones would be the logical choice. If you want change, Panaracer Gravelking SK and Vittoria Terreno Dry or Zero are good alternatives.

boxxer7
    Free Member

Got some terreno mix on my bike, seem to do well on and off-road.

scaled
    Free Member

Tubeless g one all-round.

Don’t stray from the winning formula, I got lured into an offer of cheap tyres and it’s been nothing but pain since.

Will be fitting a replacement g one tomorrow!

kiwijohn

+1 for WTB Resolute.
    Though I did get 1 dud that leaked through the sidewall.

StefMcDef
    Free Member

Dunno which rims you’re using, but I’ve just had the most rage-inducing tyre-seating experience ever with 35c Panaracer Gravel King SKs and DT Swiss E1800 rims. Thumbs pulped and blistered, cuticles sheared, blood everywhere, the works.

Shame, as I had the same tyres on a set of WTB i23s previously and they went on no bother. They were also great tyres for the most part, good on loam, sandy soil and gravel, although prone to locking and skidding on wet tarmac.

Amazing the difference a rim/tyre combo makes.

Mugboo

I gave my Riddlers (37c) a proper test on that Aplkit ride from Hathersage on Sunday. I ran them at 30psi and despite feeling a regular thud over the sharper edged rocks my rims are unscathed and no punctures. Amazing really as I was really pushing my luck…

They only struggled on the steep muddy sections but they were few and far between.

theboatman
    Free Member

I picked up some cheap Hutchinson Overdrives from CRC before xmas, I got the 35mm as they were cheaper than the 38mm, but would probably got the later with hindsight. Do a mix of road and trails with rock under any gloop, and they are great for me. Would be rubbish on muddy grass etc I imagine. And I very much doubt they are the ‘best’. Butthey certainly make the most sense for my local riding.

Sandwich

If you’re tempted by Clement be aware the licence lapsed and they’re now Donnelly tyres.

malteser
    Free Member

Ah, didn’t realise there was a tubeless version! They are great, I think that may be the way to go. Thanks for the heads up

malteser
    Free Member

Look very similar to G-ones but I like that they come slightly smaller. I’m on 40c at the mo and I don;t know if its a bit overkill

devonboy
    Free Member

I am running schwalbe g one bites 38c tubeless on my fulcrum wheels.Amazingly easy to seat,went up on a track pump.Work well on road,gravel and light mud.Although advertised as 38c,they actually measure 37mm across on my wheels.

The other day I glanced down and for 50 yards saw a small creamy patch on the front tyre.This was a puncture sealing itself,I was down 5 psi when I got home and checked (orange endurance sealant )

savoyad

I’d stick with the G-ones if you like them, just get tubeless ones. Unless the ones you have already will go up tubeless. Have you tried?

I like my Panaracer Gravelking SK. I should have got 35 in hindsight, but I have ridden 32s on terrain like k1100t’s picture (a few times, never entirely intentionally) and they were surprisingly OK. I had the opposite experience to StefMcDef though – the Panaracers slipped pretty easily onto a rim which had been a knuckle-destroying nightmare with the stock tyres I was replacing.

StefMcDef
    Free Member

Update:

With my thumbs still cut to ribbons from yesterday’s exertions, I had to gird my loins and step back into the fray to get the front tyre on.

Wrestling the tyres on to the rim while wearing a stout pair of winter riding gloves, having soapy-watered the inside bead of the tyre, and forced the bead into the “well” of the rim interior as far as I could on the opposite side of the rim from the last bit to seat, was what made the difference. Wish I’d thought of any of those things yesterday, especially the gloves.

Evans at the moment are bombarding me with adverts for Gravel King SK’s at £29.99 plus an extra 10% off, so if you’re looking for a budget-ish option that might be the way to go.

househusband

@savoyad

I like my Panaracer Gravelking SK. I should have got 35 in hindsight, but I have ridden 32s on terrain like k1100t’s picture (a few times, never entirely intentionally) and they were surprisingly OK. I had the opposite experience to StefMcDef though – the Panaracers slipped pretty easily onto a rim which had been a knuckle-destroying nightmare with the stock tyres I was replacing.

Yes, I’ve used nothing but Gravel King SK’s for years on different size wheels and they’ve always worked tubeless flawlessly. Having switched to 650b wheels on my ‘gravel’ bike I found at the weekend the 1.9″ GK’s performance in conditions like @k1100t experienced gets much better with lower pressures. I was down to 25R/20F – and I’m 95kg.

rOcKeTdOg

Very happy with WTB Resolute in 700x42C flavour. Very rarely have to top them up.

+2 excellent tyres for all but the current clay-slop for which I’ve swapped to 47mm senderos

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Best 700c Road/Gravel Tyres for Tubeless’ is closed to new replies.