Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Best 700c gravel tyre 40-45mm all rounder?
  • ElShalimo

Looking for some new tyres for mixed terrain riding – probably 60-70% crappy local roads and the rest offroad on tracks, b-ways and fields.
    What’s the best all year, all-rounder for non-winter mud conditions ?

Must be tan wall cos they’re pretty

rOcKeTdOg

Also available in tan wall
    Pirelli Cinturato Gravel M Tyre Review

Currently testing Goodyear connectors and have a set of teravail cannonballs to go on after that, both tanwall

ElShalimo

Oops I forgot to add, I’ll be running with tubes ‘cos I’m a luddite

onewheelgood

You can get GravelKing SK 43mm in tanwall. They are surprisingly fast on road or hardpack and pretty good in anything except mud. The tubes thing is weird though.

easily
    Free Member

I’ve used a few tyres of the type you describe. I also use tubes. My rides seem similar to yours – a lot of canal paths and mud tracks, a lot of – sometimes very rough – bike paths, probably about 50 – 50. There are two tyres I’ve been especially pleased with:

At the moment I’m using WTB nanos https://www.wiggle.co.uk/wtb-nano-40c-tcs-light-fast-rolling-tyre after having them recced here at STW – they seem to be a ‘go to tyre’ as lots of people liked them.
    I like them. They’ve been on for a bout a year, so gone through each season. They are useless in wet mud as all tyres of this type are (though actually it’s kind of fun trying to get anywhere with them). They roll well on the road, more now than when I first got them. They’re chunky enough to roll over many obstacles – you don’t have to worry if you bang into a kerb, for example. I’ve had one puncture in that time, a nasty looking thorn.
    All in all a very good all rounder – I would definitely buy again (and indeed I’m considering a larger size for my MTB).

Before these I had Vittoria Revolutions https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/vittoria-revolution-tech-g2-0-road-tyre/rp-prod186710
    If these went up to 40c they’d be my perfect tyre, but unfortunately the max size is 38c. However, they are still excellent tyres. They are not quite as grippy as the Nanos, but the grip is moe consistent as they have such an even profile. They roll even better on the road. Obviously at the smaller size you have to take a bit more care about banging into stuff, but they are still good at rolling over most objects. I used them for more than two years in all weather. Again they are rubbish with wet mud – and snow! – but are good for everything else. In those two years I had no punctures at all. When my Nanos wear out I’ll be looking to but these again. If Vittoria make a 40c size it’s a definite sale.

Oh, I didn’t bother about the tan wall thing as that’s just silly.

scotroutes

Nanos

easily
    Free Member

See! Nanos. I told you.

It might have been scotroutes who recced them to me.

snotrag

Nanos

Uh uh.

Resolutes.

Faster, AND Grippier. I’ve done loads of miles on both.

WTB Resolute – The holy Gravel of tyres?

DougD

I’ve been using WTB Resolutes (700c x 42mm in tan wall) for a while now which get decent reviews and which I really like. Run them tubeless though.

jimmy

I gave up with Nanos because they were too hard to fit on Hope Five20’s. I know, I shouldn’t admit to it, but seriously…

I’ve just ordered these Continental CONTACT Speed City Tyre Black 700c 42mm

ElShalimo

I’ve had:

– WTB Riddler 37 – too many punctures

– Schwalbe CX Comp 38 – cheap, heavy but reliable, feel a littel draggy on roads and not that grippy. Are actualyl 40mm

– Schwalbe Smart Sam 35mm – measure up at 37mm, a bit thin

honeybadgerx

Specialized Pathfinder Pro’s are ace, particularly given the % tarmac you’re doing. Always seem far grippier than they have any right to be, probably helped by still having decent shoulder tread on them.

lesshaste

I bloody love my g one allrounds. Lightish, fast on and off road, and suprisingly robust on my flint strewn routes. I’m running them tubeless, so can’t comment on puncture resistance with tubes.
    Don’t know if they come in tan, but merlin had them for relatively cheap.

footflaps

I bloody love my g one allrounds

+1

Very impressive tyres – although not tried then in the UK winter where I think they’d behave like slicks….

retrobri
    Free Member

Nanos
    Rutlands

ahsat

Rutlands. Seriously impressive.

nedrapier

Got Resolutes on mine, but just gone for Ventures for the wife’s/family’s utilty/on/offroad, anywhere/anytime bike. more on road than off.

ElShalimo

@onewheelgood – it’s not that weird. I’ve never used tubeless and I think none of my friends who ride have either.

Wait until you find out that I still ride a 26″ HT with 3×10 SLX

🙃

Bazz

Another +1 for the G one allrounds.

luket

They’re pricey but have a look at the Rene Hurse Steilacooms, or their slightly bigger versions of the same, whatever they’re called. I was gobsmacked by mine. They have this lovely soft feeling compound that works on mud and slippy stuff while at the same time being really quite respectably fast on roads and hard surfaces. And they’re tan wall and a bit fancy like, so if you’re a tart…

hardtailonly

I’ve just ordered these Continental CONTACT Speed City Tyre Black 700c 42mm

I had those in the 35c size. Awful tyre. Cheap though.

I’ve had Nano’s, Resolutes and Hutchinson Toureg’s. Resolutes have been best, but not great in mud. Nanos better in mud, a bit slower. Touregs no better in the dry, woeful in mud. Tough though. I’d like to try the 45c Raddler next as an all weather option.

petedee
    Free Member

Got 2x43mm gravelking SK+ tubeless tyres for sale. Used 4 times. PM me if you fancy a good deal. Tan wall.

jimdubleyou

Just bought some WTB Byways, not fitted or tried yet.

I have some Nanos, but wanted a proper solid strip for road riding.

upintheair
    Free Member

@Rocketdog I’m after some fit and forget 650b tyres in 50mm for year round riding and can’t make my mind up between the Pirelli Cinturato Gravel M (£52.99 each) and Goodyear Connector (£38 each). You’ve used both – which would you go for? I’m in the Bristol area if that helps.

continuity
    Free Member

The gravel racers all use pathfinders. Few use g ones or gravelkings. Probably a hint there.

ElShalimo

I’m not a gravel racer. I’m a fat leisure cyclist

🙃

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.