Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Best £500 gravel wheelset?
  • ElShalimo

I’m looking for a high quality wheelset for road and easy off road tracks and bridleways.

700c GRX compatible

Tyres 35-45mm

I’m 95 kg and clumsy so they must be robust

Any recommendations?

honourablegeorge

Hunt 4 Season have been great for me.

hatter

Not sure the Hunts are ideal for the heftier rider.

To quote Hunt’s website “100kgs is the upper recommended rider weight limit for these wheels. Please include the weight of any luggage in your total rider weight when choosing the correct wheels. If a rider is over 90Kgs then an experienced bike mechanic should check the wheel regularly”

Maybe look at THESE, they have a 130KG weight limit.

Or have a word with a decent wheel builder like Moonglu or Twenty20.

Rustychain
    Free Member

If I was in your position (similar weight) I’d contact Ben Sharp and see what he can do you for you.

This is his ‘standard’ gravel wheelset – but he can build something heftier. Yes, a little over your budget but you get custom wheels with great support.

THE GRAVEL WHEEL

ElShalimo

Some good suggestions there. Thanks

I’ve had a lot of Mavic and Shimano wheels over the years, do they do anything suitable?

I’ve never spent this much on wheels before so I’m a little nervous but it’s for a nice Ti frame so I need to get some good wheels

neila

I have been using the Version 1 Hunt 4 Season Gravel for probably over 4 years now, never put a foot wrong. 1000s of km commuting and gravel with my 95kg onboard. In commute mode I also have an Tailfin attached so thats another few kgs. They have never needed trueing and apart from a few gouges on the freehub from the cassette and some rim scratches/dings they still look pretty good. Not too heavy either.

john_l
    Free Member

Strada offer their All Season wheelset using RR481 rims and bladed spokes on Miche Race hubs for under £400 or upgrade to 350s for around £500. I went with 24 spokes at 65kg, but Darren will spec whatever makes sense for your weight.

Superb wheels and service.

Jamz
    Free Member

I have just been looking for a gravel wheelset with a similar budget to you and ended up going for some JRA Monitor aluminium wheels.

Just Riding Along

They come in at about £450 with a CX Ray spoke upgrade.

gray

I have recently bought those DT Swiss G1600 wheels (from Merlin as above). I haven’t ridden them yet, but the reviews are good and they seem nice.

One thing that may be relevant is that the Merlin ones are OEM so, unlike retail boxed versions, they don’t come with *both* a Shimano and an XDR freehub in the box. So if you need XDR then they’re not quite such a bargain. They do have tubeless valves though. I fitted WTB Nano tyres to them tubeless using just my fingers, and they went up with only a track pump, and even held air quite well with no sealant.

I guess since I haven’t ridden them yet, this is *very* STW to recommend something that I both own and that I haven’t ever used!

kilo

I use a mavic allroad on the rear and it’s been very good. 95ish kg and not a subtle rider over roots and they haven’t missed a beat.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

2nd for the DT Swiss wheelset G1600. I have a set on my Diverge, my old wheelset was 6 bolt, the DT swiss is centrelock and they dint come with adaptors, so had to budget those in. Used on and off road and no issues at all. Running Shimano GRX 10 speed too.

honourablegeorge

hatter
    Not sure the Hunts are ideal for the heftier rider.

Not sure which wheels you’re looking at, but for both variants of the 4-season gravel, “115kgs is the upper recommended rider weight limit for these wheels.” I’m more than 95kg and have not touched a spoke in over 3 years.

intheborders
    Free Member

+1 JRA Monitors but I didn’t bother with the spoke upgrade.

Mine have done 2k so far, and not needed to be touched – 25mm internal’s work nicely with wider gravel tyres and 1600g all in.

hatter

It was the Hunt 4 seasons, the section I posted was at the bottom of this page.

MASON x HUNT 4 Season Disc Wheelset

honourablegeorge

hatter

It was the Hunt 4 seasons, the section I posted was at the bottom of this page.

MASON x HUNT 4 Season Disc Wheelset

Right – they have three different 4-season gravel – the “normal”, non-Mason version and the X-Wide have higher limits, I think the Mason version is a sort of race one, fewer spokes.

HUNT 4 Season Gravel Disc Wheelset

HUNT 4 Season Gravel Disc X-Wide Wheelset

ogden
    Free Member

I’ll be that person then……build some. I built Light Bicycle AR56 rims on DT350 rear/hope pro 4 front with d light spokes for just over £500.

I’m not necessarily saying build Chinese carbon rims but if you hunt around you can usually build something trick for the price of something average prebuilt.

wait4me

Ryan Builds Wheels Gravel Bomber? Will build them up as you like. Very solid feeling wheels.

I’ve had a number of Hunts crack at the spoke holes and though customer service has been excellent have decided to give them a miss now.

neila

Ryan is a good shout too, I also have the Factotum Gravel in 650b which are pretty bombproof though quite weighty:

Factotum Gravel

Ryan is on a sabbatical at the moment though, so no build slots are available until 18th July.

johnny63

3rd for the DT1600 – haven’t missed a beat since I got them

hannahjayy
    Free Member

Hope 20five rims on Pro 4 hubs (32 hole), maximum advised system weight is 120kg.

continuity
    Free Member

Pony up for 303s’s

t3ap0t
    Free Member

Having just come to the end of life on two sets of Mavic wheels, I wouldn’t buy them again – nice wheels but I’ve had three different bike shops let out a long sigh when I’ve taken them for servicing – seized spokes and the Mavic Squeal of death were my issues, the latter was really quite expensive to fix (https://www.velonews.com/gear/technical-faq-noisy-mavic-freehubs/)

So went for some of the RyanBuildsWheels factotum discs above on the basis that they are serviceable. Had two pairs now (my first pair got nicked), both of which have been faultless, and he does crash and theft replacement at cost price for parts and a reduced labour rate which is great.

As Ryan is out of action for a while I’ve just now ordered some new rim brake wheels from DCR. The builds from DCR, Strada and Scribe all look pretty similar value for money and will get you a nice light pair of wheels. Would have gone scribe if not for the freehub noise.

ElShalimo

Cheers Guys

tenfoot

What did you decide? I think I’m going to replace my wheels on my Revolt 0 soon.

ElShalimo

Still haven’t decided. It was a busy week at work

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.