best 29inch all rounder tyre. less friction required.

Home Forum Bike Forum best 29inch all rounder tyre. less friction required.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • best 29inch all rounder tyre. less friction required.
  • flashes

Small block 8’s in the dry, Beavers for everyting else…

bikebouy

Specs S-Works Fast Track is what I use on the rear and the S-Works The Captain on the front.

jacob46

Just had a new spec carve pro MTB.
    Just wondering if I can get tyres with less friction because I spend sometime on road before I get to Sutton park.

The ones I have now are standard and make a rumbling noise on tarmac. Less nobbly but not bald! There are some rough parts in Sutton Coldfield park.

jacob46

Best price and from? Small block 8’s

Premier Icon cp
    Subscriber

Bontrager 29-1 get very good reviews, I have two waiting to go on my 29er when built

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/bontrager/29-1-folding-29er-tyre-ec032920

GaryLake

29-1s are superb, as are Ralphs…

Premier Icon zippykona
    Subscriber

I put my maxis ignitors on for summer. Soo slow.
    Put my bounty muds back on. The speed is back.

orange

for an all rounder = racing ralph

jacob46

Racing Ralph’s where from?

emac65
    ska-49

Crossmark 2.1 out back and Ardent 2.25 on the front.

Premier Icon househusband
    Subscriber

Crossmark 2.1 out back and Ardent 2.25 on the front.

What a coincidence; that’s what I run and was just about to suggest!

Maxxis folding that were on offer at Stif a few months ago and went up a treat on Arch EX rims, tubeless.

Premier Icon cp
    Subscriber

The folders you linked to are fairly weighty – 690g

The wire bead ones are even heavier at 770g….

If you’re after nippyness, I’d go for the Bontrager 29-1 (about 520g in 2.2) or the Racing Ralphs.

jacob46

can you send me a link please? on one have so many racing ralphs!

cheers

emac65

Depends on how much you want to pay…some will say the basic ones sidewalls are very prone to rocks,but that’s what I’ve been running tubeless since last October with no problems….. yet 8)

emac65

Double post,nothing to see

jacob46

The best! Don’t mind how much.
    I’ve looked at the racing Ralph’s and they don’t look the fastest tyre because of the amount of blocks on tyre compared to small block 8’s.

Premier Icon Chipbutty
    Subscriber

Beavers in the winter, just gone to Ardents and liking them for the rest of the year

emac65

I’ve got small block 8’s on the h/tail & I don’t think they are a patch on the Ralphs,for speed or grip….

jacob46

emac65

Please send me a link to the best then please?

Do on one do them?

esher shore

Specialized Control Captain front, Specialized Control Fast Trak LK or Renegade rear

both setup with Roval rim tape, suitable valve cores and Stan’s No-Tubes (tubeless fluid)

ideal setup for fast rolling 29’er which will prevent penetration punctures (the Fast Trak and Renegade have a thin casing)

you can use another Fast Trak on the front, but if you ride lots of trails with loose dirt / sand you will need something grippier like the Captain on the front

Frankers

Geax Saguaro is great all rounder and fast enough

On offer at On One 29×2.2 non TNT version

Premier Icon aracer
    Subscriber

I’ve looked at the racing Ralph’s and they don’t look the fastest tyre because of the amount of blocks on tyre compared to small block 8’s.

It’s not all (or even mostly) about the tread pattern. Schwalbe’s tyre carcass is very low rolling resistance, and anyway the Ralph tread pattern is actually pretty fast. The test results I’ve seen have Ralphs as faster rolling than even a full on semi-slick with almost no blocks at all (like the Double Fighters I used to run), and certainly faster than a SB8.

hugor

I find Ralphs a bit draggy myself particularly on bitumen.
    Mine are about 50% worn after only 500km.

I’d vote for Crossmarks.

jacob46

Don’t want tubeless!

Bontradger 29-1 or Racing Ralph’s?

They must work because these are the only ones that have been repeatedly mentioned.

Premier Icon takisawa2
    Subscriber

Ralphs here. Not quite the fast rolling’ness of a SB8, but I can run them year round.
    Plus they are nice & big for a rigid HT.

I’ve some SB8’s you can try if your ever near Lichfield to collect em.
    Didn’t know there were trails in Sutton Park….!!

Premier Icon kiwijohn
    Subscriber

Hutchinson Cobra if you want fast rolling.

Premier Icon Paceman
    Subscriber

Ikons for summer, Beavers the rest of the year, both light, grippy and fast in their intended useage.

timb34

You’ve already got a control version of The Captain both ends, yes?

My recommendation would be to leave a Captain on the front and put something like a Racing Ralph, Fast Trak, Crossmark (or maybe Larsen, SM8, Ikon) on the back, but I ride mostly dry, rocky trails and that’s what works round here.

Also, although you said you don’t want to go tubeless, if you do then it decreases rolling resistance even more!

There’s a lot of choice in tyres, and you might not like the feel of what other people do. Keep an eye on the special offers on Chain Reaction, you can often pick up tyres from Michelin/WTB/whoever for about a tenner – it’s a good way to experiment.

scu98rkr

i have bontrager 29-1 1.9 inch tubeless. Very light an quick on the road. obviously some comprises off road.

jacob46

Takisawa2

You need to get yourself over and have a look. Rode past wild ponies yesterday streetly side.
    How much do you want for them?
    I live mere-green.

jacob46

Timb34
    Yes I have 2 ground controls and they hummm like driving over a cattle grid.
    OK tell me what I need to do and how to go tubeless. What do you carry for spares if any at all? Do you carry a spare?

jacob46

Is it OK to run 2 maxxis crossmarks or would you use something else on the front?
    I’ve just found them for £23 each.

I do half road and half trail on spec carve pro 2013.

Premier Icon househusband
    Subscriber

Is it OK to run 2 maxxis crossmarks or would you use something else on the front?

All depends on how much steerage you want! I found the front end a bit ‘loose’ with a Crossmark on the front so bought an Ardent and I’m happier.

Premier Icon Dougal
    Subscriber

2.25 Ralph.

Unless it’s really muddy, then run Beaver.

I’m running Conti Race Kings on my 29er. Fast rolling on road for such a big volume tyre and reasonably grippy in the dry.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘best 29inch all rounder tyre. less friction required.’ is closed to new replies.