Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 76 total)
  • Best 29er's for Short hobbit types!
  • tacopowell
    Free Member

I’m not buying one just yet, but curious to know if there are any 29er’s HD or FS that are suitable for the shorter person!

I’m 5’6 (& 2/3’s!) with a 30″ inside leg,
    I may have a complex about thinking I’m a hobbit but I wanna be a hobbit on a 29er! 😀

Anyone short riding 29er’s, please go into some detail about your setup and how you first got on and whether you’d go back?

I discovered an old Gary fisher video that said its G2 Genesis geometry was great for the smaller frame…
    [video]http://youtu.be/n7xNohTerzU[/video]

Shame I can’t find these bikes anywhere! Damned you Trek! 😕

redfordrider
    Free Member

I’m 5’7″ and ride a 16.5″ Van Nicholas Zion Ti HT 29er with a 90mm -17 degree stem. The effective top tube is 590mm -about the same as most Medium 29er. 80mm SID works well. I’m running 42/32/24 x 11-34 gearing. I love riding it. It’s better than the Specialized Epic 26″ that it replaced.

tacopowell
    Free Member

I’m 5’7″ and ride a 16.5″ Van Nicholas Zion Ti HT 29er

Thats a hell of a nice bike! Did you ever use the carbon forks? 80mm sounds like nothing! what sort of riding do you do?!

Anyone else?! 😕

geologist
    Free Member

Try Isla bikes, the only adult bike they do is a rigid 29er, I live just down the road from Isla and she rides one all the time, shes a bit smaller than me and Im 5 foot 7. I think she would be able to size correctly for us hobbit like folk.

My mate had a medium specialized 29er full suss on loan, I borrowed it for a few hundred yards, would have been more only i was on spd’s and the 29er had flats. It didnt feel to bad to be honest, made me think that a small would be a good fit for me.

TeaBoyPaul

I’m also interested in investigating small 29er’s.. I’m just 5’6″ on a good day and am yet to find a small enough one to try out! The Niner EMD9 looks nice and small…. also like the look of the Charge Cooker but they seem expensive for the spec..

yossarian
    Free Member

I hear niner are making a tagalong for short riders

takisawa2

I reckon my 6yr old could ride a 14″ Niner… 🙂

Niner_MCE_XS by pten2106, on Flickr

5’9″ here, on a medium (16.5″) Niner SIR9. Previously an 18″ Inbred. The Niner is about the best fitting bike I’ve ever owned. 50mm stem, low-rise bars, running Niners steel forks. Love it. The Inbred was nice, but the Niner is a different beast. Just doesnt feel like a 29er. The Inbred could get a bit lairy sometimes, not in a bad way – it just made you aware that you couldnt chuck it around as much. The Niner on the other hand reminds me of a Cotic Soul I had many years ago, but with bigger wheels 🙂
    Very happy with it.
    Prefer mine rigid, but ran the Inbred with a 120mm fork & it was way too much travel. I dont think you need as much travel on a 29er, there are a few slacker ones comning out now, for 140mm forks. Not really my cup of tea.
    Reckon a Small (15.5″) would be right up your street. 😉

TooTall
    Free Member

I’m from the other end of the scale and wonder why such short people think 29ers would be good for them? There is so much jiggerypokery with the geometry to get it to fit I can’t see what it brings to a short rider. They look out of proportion.

geologist
    Free Member

Its cos for xc purposes, they are bloomin quick, short arse or not 🙂

inbred853

5′ 7″, just finished building my 16″ Salsa El Mariachi about a week ago. Rigid Exotic forks, 70mm stem, went out to the Raven trail in Brechfa last Wednesday, felt a bit strange at first compared my 16″ inbred, however felt okay by the end of the trail.
    I probably took it slightly easier than normal due to having rigid forks but still had a blast.
    Decision still out though if I am going to keep it or not, still need a few more rides to make my mind up.

Salsa El Mariachi by Inbred 853, on Flickr

Sancho
    Free Member

It’s for XC purposes – lol
    if you want to be good at XC the bike wont change anything.
    neal won Whinlatter on a full sus 26″.
    why do you think the wheels will make you faster.

druidh
    Free Member

inbred853 – that looks rubbish. I can’t understand why you ever thought that was a good idea.

I’ll give you £250 for the frame, just so you’ll feel a bit better about having made such a terrible mistake

amplebrew

I’m 5ft 7 with a 31″ inside leg and ride a 16″ Kona Big Unit. Although it’s a 16″ frame, the centre to centre measurement is only 13″.

It’s got a 22.5″ eff top tube and I run it with a 400mm inline post and 90mm stem.

IMG_0091 by Amplebrew, on Flickr

matt_outandabout

I’m from the other end of the scale and wonder why such short people think 29ers would be good for them? There is so much jiggerypokery with the geometry to get it to fit I can’t see what it brings to a short rider. They look out of proportion.

^ this, except I am a ‘normal’ 6′ – seems to me that @ 6′ and up, 29ers start to make real sense.

druidh
    Free Member

FWIW, I’m currently riding an On One Scandal 29er and I’m 5’7″. It doesn’t feel in any way too large. In fact, I’d say that the top tube feels a bit short.

inbred853

druidh,

I know, don’t know what came over me to try something different and actually like it. 😀
    I was lusting over tk46hal’s Scandal thats on the classifieds now for ages, but the El Mar was to good a deal to miss.

rOcKeTdOg

26″ bikes are ideal for those under 6ft, they’ve been around for ages too so the geometry is sorted, a few riders have tried them too, leave the big bikes to those freaks tall enough to need to ride them to feel comfy

belugabob
    Free Member

Height and inside leg are not,the whole story – torso and arm length are just as important.
    I have a 29 inch inside leg, yet ride a 19 inch Gary Fisher Marlin (with upgraded forks and drivetrain) and I find it to be a perfect fit. (I am 6 foot tall, though)
    You really need to do some test rides, to get a better idea of what suits you – 29ers tend to have longer top tubes.

Some of the (also vertically challenged) lady pros have adapted to 29ers, so you should be able to find something.

I love mine, as it does just roll over just about everything (apart from that huge log on Wednesday, but that was mostly to do with me being rubbish)

Gary Fisher bikes aren’t that hard to find – there are several models in the range

redfordrider
    Free Member

Tacopowell – my Zion 29er is the 2011 model and came with Reba forks. I’ll be getting a carbon Niner fork for next winter. 80mm is more than enough for the XC/marathon riding that I do. I reduced the travel myself. I’ve a Stan’s Race Gold Wheelset (1345g) for racing or just putting my mates to the sword. It’s certainly up to riding Innerleithen and Glentress which I do quite often. I like they way it looks – it certainly attracts attention though. My next project will be a Planet X Dirty Harry (small) for race day use.

Untitled by redfordrider, on Flickr

jak
    Free Member

I’m 5’4″ and ride a medium giant anthem 29 with an in-line post, 50mm stem (though going to try a 70mm) wide bar with a 120 marzocchi up front. It comes up smaller than geo chart suggests and she flies here in the lake district. I don’t get why small folk aren’t supposed to be able to ride faster bikes than tall folks. Whats this magic 6′ + club?

jak
    Free Member

I also ride a kona unit 29 16″. no 26ers in the fleet at the min. may do in future but 29ers work for me and my riding for now.

rOcKeTdOg

Whats this magic 6′ + club?

i think the stem area on that above Van Nic tells you all you need to know

ride a bike that fits, it’ll ride much better than a bike you desperately want to fit you but doesn’t

druidh
    Free Member

Oh – that Zion 29er is lovely btw. I’ve been considering one of them, or a VN Redwood which has horizontal dropouts.

TooTall
    Free Member

I don’t get why small folk aren’t supposed to be able to ride faster bikes than tall folks.

Nothing to do with faster or slower. All to do with bikes that are in proportion or not and about how much effort is gone through to make bigger wheels fit someone who warrants geometry on the smaller side.

redfordrider
    Free Member

Rocketdog – my bike fits me perfectly, thanks.
    Druidh – you are welcome to have ride on it sometime.

pedalhead
    Free Member

There are many people significantly shorter than 6 ft doing perfectly well on 29ers thank you very much! It’s got nothing to do with “looking in proportion” or not. The advantges of 29ers are as valid for a short-arse as they are for a tall rider.

thats_not_my_name
    Free Member

650B 😆

redfordrider
    Free Member

I’d consider 650B provided that there is a good selection of tyres. I Won’t knock it until I’ve tried it.

jameso

Whats this magic 6′ + club?

Something based on half-truths coming from older 29ers with steep fronts, some minor issues with front end height for some riders and a lot of myth and waffle, maybe. If the front’s not too steep and the stem’s short the geo can work out fine. If you use shorter forks, it works more easily. If you’re 5’5″ or less and want a steep bike with a short TT and a long fork it may be a bit of a mess though )
    Nowt wrong with the stem on the zion either?
    IMO bigger wheels work if you like the fit of the bike they’re attached to, the wheels themselves do the same things for a short 11st/200watt rider as a tall 11st/200watt rider. (I’m 6’+ and ride a 29er that some 5’7″ish riders are perfectly happy on)

rOcKeTdOg

redfordrider – Member

Rocketdog – my bike fits me perfectly, thanks.

it doesn’t look like it, it looks like a small person is desperate to climb on the niche bandwagon but needs to carry a step ladder around with them

26-29 by rOcKeTdOgUk, on Flickr

druidh
    Free Member

TooTall – Member
    Nothing to do with faster or slower. All to do with bikes that are in proportion or not how they look.

FTFY

Thankfully, many folk don’t really care how they look as long as they function well.

redfordrider
    Free Member

Self portrait?[

takisawa2

I think it was Rocketdog who once coined the phrase sitting in, not on a bike, & that’s how I felt when I first got a 29er.

jak
    Free Member

So the big wheels, big riders argument is purely based on bike aesthetics?

TooTall
    Free Member

Funnily enough – the bikes that look right with me on them fit me better. If I look like a circus bear on a kiddy cycle then it rides like a BMX and it isn’t comfortable. My 29ers look right and feel right for me and it is because of the wheel size and geometry. Hence why I am confused by the little people forcing geometry to fit the same wheels that work so well for me.

jak
    Free Member

Pro BMX’s can be 6 feet plus and Willow Koerber Rockwell is 5’2″ and is pretty handy on her 29er. Have these guys got the wrong bikes?

druidh
    Free Member

Where are all the 31″ wheeled road bikes for taller riders?

redfordrider
    Free Member

Not a self portrait of rocket dog climbing on his bike after all. My feelings were hurt…until I saw a picture of rocketdog. Now I can safely disregard his opinions based on the way he looks…

redfordrider
    Free Member

Too Tall – the benefits of bigger wheels is in the way they roll over obstacles and by providing greater traction. This applies to riders of all sizes.

cinnamon_girl

Some grumpy people on this thread!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 76 total)

The topic ‘Best 29er's for Short hobbit types!’ is closed to new replies.