Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Best 29er tyres for winter!?
  • jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Mainly Peak District riding

Currently using Hans Dampf Trailstar on the front, Nobby Nic Pacestar Evo on the rear

Anything better?

Frankers
    Free Member

Geax Gato 2.3 are worth a go

rewski
    Free Member

Looks like you’ve got pretty knobbly already, I’m just about to put kenda honey badgers on, if it get’s too muddy I might just stay indoors.

Candodavid
    Free Member

Rewski, can you fire a review of the Honey Badgers when you’ve tried them?

mboy
    Free Member

In the Peaks, surely the main difference from summer to winter is you go from riding on dry rocks, to wet ones? So anything with a soft enough tread compound should be fine…

For places where winter means wet mud, then look at Maxxis Beavers, Spesh Storm Controls, Bontrager Mud XR and the like. Or for something more all round then Spesh Purgatorys, Maxxis HR2, Maxxis Ikon (you’d be surprised to look at them but they work well in the wet on the back), Bontrager 29-4, Hutchinson Toro, Continental MK2 Black Chilli etc. There’s a tyre I’m particularly keen to try out at the moment, called the Rubena Kratos. Labelled a 2.25″ but apparently measures more like a 2.1-2.15, is tubeless compatible, and has received great reviews from American and Aussie websites especially for wetter weather use. Tread pattern looks aggressive enough without being overly so, and its a dual compound with a high TPI too so should be good.

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member
    BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

I ran Beavers front and rear last winter and they were fantastic but they do lack volume as a front tyre.

This year I’m trying a 2.4 Ardent up front which despite being shocking in mud as a 2.25 apparently develops mythical properties in is largest size.

rewski
    Free Member

@ candodavid – sure thing, looking at the weekend weather I’ll be keeping the slant 6 on.

drlaboole

@mboy
    Where do you find HR2 on 29″?
    Haven’t seen them anywhere.

bikeneil
    Free Member
    drlaboole

Thanks

rewski
    Free Member

Well first ride with the honey badgers, first impressions are good, plenty of traction at the rear especially on steep rooty climbs, coped well on some wet mud but nothing too deep and claggy, I did feel my front wheel was a little high in pressure, might drop a few psi, my front wheel washed out on the slant 6 on a few previous rides so I was a little cautious. Got an all day er coining up will report back.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Best 29er tyres for winter!?’ is closed to new replies.