Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Best 27.5 fork?
  • Fat-boy-fat

Might be getting a new SC Solo and a mate has just bought a new SC Bronson and we’re both wondering what the badgers nadgers is for forks in 27.5.

A bit disappointed that Fox don’t do a 36 stanchion 27.5 fork but open to thoughts.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

36 on a solo? Bit overkill really. I know I’m obviously too crap these days but the 34 is a stiff fork, it feels great in the rough and rocks with no noticeable flex. Way better than the 32s or revs that I have tried.

LoCo
    Free Member

pike

Fat-boy-fat

I’m a big lad and I love the way my current 36s don’t twang anywhere. It may be overkill but why not? 🙂

A set of these baby’s adorn the front of my Enduro. 170mm/140mm DLA plus internally adjustable, 36mm stanchions, high and low speed compression damping, 20mm Syntace through axle, straight or tapered, black or white, all metal internals, lovely and plush, super adjustable – £639. Why would you buy Fox?

Mbnut
    Free Member

Just fit your existing 36’s… same A-C and plenty of clearance.

The X Fusions are worth a look though, impressed with there stuff lately and the Pikes are the fork to beat apparently.

Fat-boy-fat

Really? I can still use my 36s? That’s good news if it’s true. Email to mojo on the way. X fusion look good though. Be interested to hear how reliable they are and test ride them. I’ve been riding Fox for years. My first set were so much better than the equivalent rockshox I had the time. Never felt the need to try anything else.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Why would you get a 639 quid xfusion when you can get a pike for 650?

Fat-boy-fat

Or use my 36s for fuweeee.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Sell your 36s, if you’re buying a new frame you might as well spend 300 nore on forks that are going to suit the frame and wheel size more.

If not get an alu bronson.

Why would you get a 639 quid xfusion when you can get a pike for 650

Never said he should. Pikes aren’t the holy grail of forks though. Saying that if I were building a bike now I’d prob try a set

pymwymis
    Free Member

‘Cos you never know, they might actually be better?

Seen at least one review which suggests the new xfusion Sweeps beat Pikes.

cupid-stunt
    Free Member

The new Pikes are fantastic compared to a Fox 34.

zelak999
    Free Member

Hey Fat boy fat, please report back on what Mojo say about the 36’s?
    I’m looking at fitting mine to a Bronson.

Mbnut
    Free Member

I run 650B wheels in my Fox 36s… have done for a couple of years… run a 2.35 tyre too.

But it is nice to have something new when building a new bike up.

messiah
    Free Member

Clearance is a bit tight running 36’s depending on your tyres. Chatting with someone (very fast) at the Trans-Savoie who was riding a Bronson with 36’s up front… he wanted the stiffness of the 36 over the 34’s he usually runs at home; even if that meant he couldn’t run the big Continental tyres he would usually (sponsored? :he was running a maxxis up front for the TS).

The 27.5 fork would is going to change a lot next year… Formula 35, Marzocchi 350, Manitou Mattock… I’d be tempted to give it a whirl with what you have until all options are available… or buy the Pike or X-fusion now :mrgreen:

Fat-boy-fat

Hey there. Mojo said that it wasn’t a good idea to run a 27.5 wheel on my 36s. It is possible but the clearance would be tight.

portydave
    Free Member

Anyone using the x fusion vengeance with a 650b? I’m running them just now with flows and hans damphs, and it would seem that clearance would be pretty tight with a bigger wheel!

Keen to know how folk get on though, my banshee rune can be converted to 650b by changing the drop outs, so tempted…..

Still on 26″ but with 2.3 Eskars – considering 650b is 27″ and not 27.5, despite the ‘industry’ banging on that it is, I don’t thing squeezing an extra half in in there should be too much problem…

Untitled by davetheblade, on Flickr

…considering the clearance I had on my E150’s

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Still on 26″ but with 2.3 Eskars – considering 650b is 27″ and not 27.5, despite the ‘industry’ banging on that it is, I don’t thing squeezing an extra half in in there should be too much problem

Only it’s not 27, or 27.5″. The 650b HR2’s i’m running (2.3) measure up at 28″.

But then your 26″ tyres won’t be 26″ either.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Seen at least one review which suggests the new xfusion Sweeps beat Pikes.

The reviews I’ve seen didn’t say that.

pymwymis
    Free Member

Tom, do you have a link ? I’d be genuinely interested as I’m getting a bit fed up for the xfusion a to me made available.

Review here. Price difference significant if that’s what they really go for !

Video: 27.5 Fork Shootout – RockShox Pike Vs. X-Fusion Sweep

Jeffus
    Free Member

I’ve fitted a 650b with a 2.25 maxxis ardent in my 36’s let all the air out and fully compressed them , there was about 12mm of clearance.

portydave
    Free Member

Anyone else running big 650b tyres on vengeance forks? Keen to see some pics.

Cheers!

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

In the AM descents around Hafjell I felt the Pike was slightly more supple, with the rebound sitting higher in the travel and in a softer part of the spring curve, which suited my ‘heavy handed’ style of riding. Whereas in the faster aggressive bikepark descents (Buldre/Røbolstien trails) Danny felt the way the Sweep handled the brake bumps, corners, jumps and berms was more compliant and processed than the Pike.

Am I reading this incorrectly but did one reviewer just say he thought the pike was more supple whilst the other said the sweep was more compliant? Same thing surely.

Seeing as you can’t get the X-fusion yet, seeing as the pike is the lighter fork with larger diameter stanchions, seeing as it has a closed bath as opposed to the sweeps open bath damper and seeing as you can get parts for rock shoxs forks…anywhere….I would go for the pike.

Have X-fusion sorted their creaking steerer’s? What rear shock do you have (it’s best to match suspension manufacturers front and rear, as they always seem to end up better balanced)

But if you want to be different for the sake of saving between 10 to 100 quid depending on where you buy the pike from, then by all means go for it.

EDIT: You can get a 650b Pike for 623 from CRC btw. I bet you won’t find an x-fusions going for heavily reduced prices as the supply of the forks is relatively low in the uk, so it seems like you may actually be spending more money going for x-fusion.

We get it Tom, you don’t like X-Fusions for some reason.

Have you actually tried them?

*edit

And whilst you are banging on about Pikes v Sweeps (not Vengeance), the Sweeps are £440 for the DLA version at 18 Bikes

thegnarlycenturion
    Free Member

Holy thread ressurection batman!

On a serious note: what did /have people bought and tried? I’m currently in the market for some forks, also considering the suntour Durolous (they’re uoping their game!) and the ever (in)famous bos devilles.

Also, anyone know the biggest tyre you can fit on the pikes?

willv

Got some RCT3 revelations on my solo and they’re great – when working properly :(. Having some issues with the LSC dial and dodgy lockout.

Which is a shame as all other RS forks I’ve had have been great straight out the box.

woolymonster
    Free Member

The 36 forks will fit and work, depending on what tyre you want to run…if it’s a big bugger with high PSI then you might be onto a loser. Also you’ll have no chance of running a DFender mudguard, but if you’re happy with a smaller/cheaper MuckyNutz or similar, then you should be fine mate 🙂 Chris Porter has been running a 36 on his 650b Mondraker for a while now, think he’s even got creative with the CNC and ‘adjusted his lowers so he can run a DFender too 🙂

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Best 27.5 fork?’ is closed to new replies.