Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Best 203mm rotor ?
  • adi66
    Free Member

Whats the best rotor for use with a front Elixr 3 set up ? I keep warping the Avid Clean Sweep rotors ?

Anyone used a Superstar rotor (floating and / or non floating?

Floating rotor or not ?

Cheers

sambob
    Free Member

Shimano IceTech are supposedly very good, expensive though.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

get an adjustable spanner onto the rotor and bend the rotor back at the offending areas.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I too need the answer to this question… always gone Hope in the past but looking for other options

adi66
    Free Member

No beer: done that but just cant get it spot on, and I don’t like riding with a disc rubbing on a hi spot.

nealy
    Free Member

No beer: done that but just cant get it spot on, and I don’t like riding with a disc rubbing on a hi spot.

Try again and be patient, make sure the caliper is adjusted properly too.

loum
    Free Member

I’d say the opposite ,don’t keep trying to bend the rotor.
    Not on the bike anyway.
    Eventually you’ll damage your hub where the rotor connects, the aluminium isn’t as strong as the steel rotor clamped to it.

Tiger6791

Bent my Avid is the car or something replaced it with a SS one. It’s been flawless and is true after 500 miles. (203)

Good value I think

pinches
    Free Member

I think you’d be doing well to damage the hub flange, fair enough aluminium is not as strong as steel, but its a machined face mated to another face, and it’s got 6 bolts locating it face to face… plus the braking surface is a long way from the hub flange and when bending it you’ve got a fairly high mechanical advantage on the rotor over the hub.

You can buy a Park rotor truing tool which is allows a bit more finer tuning

kayak23

I have the superstar wavy ones. Great. Seem just as good as any other I’ve used from the likes of hope and Hayes.

nealy
    Free Member

What pinches said, you won’t damage the hub. Park Tool is made for the job but an adjustable spanner is fine too. Quick google search gave these results or you can just keep buying rotors.

http://www.mbr.co.uk/advice/truing-a-bent-rotor/

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/rotor-disc-service-and-installation

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

Any Shimano ones are good. usually much better at staying true than Avids. They feel stiffer when you lean on them. Hope floaters are very good too.

Straightening rotors is a black art. A sturdy bike stand and a well lit room will help, and one of these:

EDIT: Snap!! Shouldn’t wait so long before posting…

samwise
    Free Member

wouldnt go superstar. i did and regret it. shimano make the best ones out there they have the best technology in them but they charge you for it too

loum
    Free Member

pinches, nealy – glad you’re so confident.
    I used to say that until it happened.

Fortunateson09
    Free Member

A big Allen key is better for straightening rotors than anything else, IME. Adjustable spanners and straightening tools tend to just bend the breaking surface relative to the rotor’s spokes, but if you get a big Allen key or similar in there you can bend the spokes themselves back into shape…

cynic-al
    Free Member

loum – Member
    I’d say the opposite ,don’t keep trying to bend the rotor.
    Not on the bike anyway.
    Eventually you’ll damage your hub where the rotor connects, the aluminium isn’t as strong as the steel rotor clamped to it.

If only I was allowed my “BS of the week thread” 😐

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Nonsense.

pinches, nealy – glad you’re so confident.
    I used to say that until it happened.

What the hell did you bend it with? A crowbar?!! We’re only talking minor adjustments here.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Best 203mm rotor ?’ is closed to new replies.