• This topic has 19 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by ndg.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • best 2012 mile ish long mynd route?
  • Pook

heading down there in a few weeks. How will I get the best of the long mynd in one day’s trip?

nbt

2012 miles around the long mynd will mean some fairly serious looping:)
    recommend calling into plush hill cycles – really nice folks, they marked up my OS map with a route but by now they should have the printed maps showing all the talks with recommended directions

Pook

pesky auto correct!

I mean 20……

cheers jules

Pook

No ‘must do’ bits on the long mynd then?

pedalhead
    Free Member

Minton Batch descent is essential

singlespeedstu

I could show you round if i’m about.
    That way i’d be returning the favour from the pootle we did with you a while back.
    It’d be even betterer if you could drag nbt and bunnyhop along with their tandem. 😀

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMXXaKgrom8[/video]

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6OpVn1skUM[/video]

carlos
    Free Member

As mentioned pop into PHC for a trail map
    http://www.plushhillcycles.co.uk/trails.html

They were shut when we started but someone had printed off a copy and we sorted a route from that

GRAEMEJONES
    nbt

What’s the dates? We might come and play out

IHN

We’re talking about a Long Mynd trip in April (21st/22nd), could there be a STW pootle on the cards?

kiwifiz
    Free Member

Did this 18.6 mile loop in Jan sourced from the edge cycleworks site….included Minton batch descent……GPX file to download on the right of the webpage.

Long Mynd Loop

The first climb(/push!) is a real bitch, but all good from there. There is another (longer) loop that doesn’t include Minton on the site too, but haven’t tried that yet.

edit…just seen an earlier post links this site, so this is more of a +1!

Pook

No pootle chaps (yet) . This is more stag do content….

Next pootle will be white peak I think…..

hora
    Free Member

Scroll halfway down here, there’s 4 to go at.

HTH.

Hello, which offers the lion share of best swoopy descents of these??? 🙂

Pook

good question

thesquaredog
    Free Member

In my opinion the best descents on the Long Mynd in no particular order are:-

Round hill. Very long and fast double track descent which also features a few bits of single track. Can be prone to walkers though so try and do this early in the morning. No 9 on the map below.

Duckley nap and the batch. Very fast grassy descent leading into a sweet bit of singletrack. 11, 12 & 14 on the map.

Minton batch. Flowy singletrack with a few little technical features and (sometimes) angry sheep dogs chasing you at the bottom :-). 7 on the map.

In my opinion the best climbs up are up 1, 10 (Carding Mill Valley) and the tarmac road up from Church Stretton (the Burway).

Have fun!

http://www.plushhillcycles.co.uk/trails/105-long-mynd-mtb-map.html

_tom_
    Free Member

Minton Batch is awesome. I think I’ve done that “duckley nap” grassy descent which was pretty fun, just a flat out fast smooth hill which you can get some serious speed on. The final descent we did into Little Stretton (I think) was great as well apart from sliding out on some seriously slippy mud at the end!

And this bit is good:

[video]http://vimeo.com/10191273[/video]

hora
    Free Member

_tom_ whereabouts is it on the routes above? (www.vimeo.com/10191273)

_tom_
    Free Member

I don’t really know the area that well (only been twice) but they’re both off to the side along a long windy fire road climb which eventually leads you on to a track to take to the glider club (after a few gates). The first one is way steeper than it looks in the video, it’s fine to start with then you turn a corner and it just drops off 🙂

smudge
    Free Member

If you go up the fire road around the back of the gliders club (into the woods) theres quite a few of those hidden trails and once you find one you will see they all kinda link into eachother 8) We found loads of stuff last year only for the Crossers to wreck them all on an enduro event! then what was sweet stuff became 1ft wide and 2ft deep!

Best way is go slowly when you get to the top of the woods and just look into the sides of the bushes for gaps, and tyre marks on the ground turning into the undergrowth.

ndg
    Free Member

I assume that’s the Hamperly end in the forestry area?

I came up the fire road there, looked to be quite a few interesting routes in and out of the trees, but was too knackered to investigate at the time! I’ll probably have a look when I’m next back there.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘best 2012 mile ish long mynd route?’ is closed to new replies.