Bespectacled MTBers

Home Forum Bike Forum Bespectacled MTBers

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Bespectacled MTBers
  • Premier Icon Nipper99
    Subscriber

Contacts all the time with no probs – got fed up with glasses steaming up etc.

Premier Icon bruneep
    Subscriber

currently **** about with contacts, although I cant seem to get anything suitable for my eyes yet. On pair no 4 at the moment.

gusamc

specs since 10, so only for 45 years, pita when it rains, my technique (and I can see without) is to have them jammed halfway down nose – so I can look through or over to avoid fractal land (*I’d do a two for one deal – smart pair and spares), also a very small nose bridge might look cool and trendy, it also might dig in unpleasantly on a hot sweaty day, the good news is you can now get a titanium frame (*much lighter and easier on nose) with fully sprung legs

coatesy

Prescription Oakley M-Frames, not cheap, but work very well.

I use disposable contacts – but always wear riding glasses as well, to keep wind and mud out my eyes

I wouldn’t use prescription riding glasses because if the expense of getting new lenses when my prescription changes

mrmo

contacts can be ok, in my case due to having a stupid astigmatism i found that the lenses moved and i went blind.

re the lasering, not sure if your eyes will settle long term, your falling apart everything is getting worse….

I tend to just where glasses.

You should be ok, but having been to the opticians yesterday and being reminded that they can’t make my lenses the normal way, assume nothing regarding what glasses you can and can’t use.

But whatever you choose you will be wearing something, be it sports glasses over contacts or adaptors or normal glasses.

z1ppy

I use my ‘everyday’ rimless glasses all year round (other than cheap & cheerful sport glasses I had glazed for those once a year sunny rides), they simply do not steam up as much as ‘normal’ frame glasses IME. Contacts are not for me, and I believe ppl use ‘clear’ glasses to protect against dust, with them anyway

Premier Icon jam bo
    Subscriber

Contacts only. Only wear glasses on the road bike as they can dry out and lift on fast downhills.

Contacts here too combined with nerdy safety glasses to keep grit / mud out of my eyes.

Premier Icon Simon
    Subscriber

Been using contacts for 20+ years with no problems. Wear them every day.

Contacts here, usually with riding glasses (but not always)

Contacts here too

Premier Icon martymac
    Subscriber

contacts here, with sports glasses over the top.

As I career head on into middle age my body has fired the first shot across the boughs to let me know that it is all downhill from heron in and my, up until now, perfect vision is no longer as perfect as it was. I have a mild prescription which means I should wear glasses for driving, looking at presentations at work and anything like that. So far i’m fine on the MTB without glasses, but am anticipating that my eyesight is likely to deteriorate further before it stabilises. So if this is the case and I do end up needing to wear glasses all the time, what do other MTBers do? I’m assuming contact lenses are no good as the wind in my eyes sometimes makes my eyes water a lot. Once my eyesight settles I fully intend to get them zapped, but this may be a few years away. So what do other shortsighted MTBers wear to restore their vision on the trails?

carlosg

43 now and been wearing glasses since I was 7 ,I wear contacts for work(postie)and on the bike. Most of the time for XC I don’t bother with any riding glasses unless it’s sunny but I always wear goggles for DH.

samuri

Contacts when I can be bothered. mrmo, you can get toric lenses now for astigmatism, they work really well. My eyes are properly pointy and they still work for me.

But mostly I just wear an old pair of normal glasses.

mrmo

samuri, i have torics, but as i have a fairly hefty prescription, not the most extreme, i don’t think that helps. I believe that the lenses are weighted and if i blink look out the corner of my eye, basically move the eye ball it can shift the lens a bit. Any shift causes my vision to disappear/blur. What i also found was if my eyes dried the lens could find a resting place that was wrong.

I have tried a couple of different brands, both had the same behaviour.

Premier Icon scotroutes
    Subscriber

I tried contacts but as soon as I was doing any speed, my eyes would water and they’d flush out. I even tried them with sunnies on top and had the same problem.

My next stop was some prescription Oakleys (Flak Jacket XLJ). Fabulous – I wish I’d done it years ago. With the Transition lens, they’re also fine for night riding.

However, my watery eye problem has recurred and I’m now on to some prescription Oakley Windjackets.

samuri

Fair enough. I have a very strong prescription too but I can get on with them for the most part.

Premier Icon zilog6128
    Subscriber

Prescription Oakleys with transition lenses. Awesome. Can use them in all conditions, from pitch black to bright sunshine.

Kuco

Contacts or Adidas Evil Eye with prescription insert.

Premier Icon crazy-legs
    Subscriber

Contacts plus Oakleys.
    I wouldn’t go for prescription Oakleys, partly cos of the cost, partly cos I change glasses depending on conditions.

I use monthly disposables from Specsavers.

TooTall

Glasses or contacts. It isn’t difficult and quite normal.

Premier Icon nickc
    Subscriber

another contact lens wearer, have done for 20 years. Use toric disposable monthly. In all that time, I’ve had to pop 1 lens out of my eye and give it a quick rinse in my mouth, and stick it back in again. to all intents and purposes I have normal eyes, they water, dry out in wind (as does everyone’s) and I just carry on.

It’s probably god advice to wear some sort of glasses regardless of whether you wear contacts or not. (I don’t always do )

My eyes are so bad I need vari-focal glasses all the time.

I tried riding & for some bizarre reason night riding with my vari-focal glasses on. The main problem was depending on where you looked through the lens the ground was either very close or miles off not really what you want when out night riding.

I now use disposable daily contact lenses for riding/sport but as I’m tight I re-use them a few times. I also use wrap around glasses on top to stop the wind drying my eyes out, for summer I use some nice Nike wrap round glasses & haven’t had any more problem with loosing lenses.

Prescription Oakley flak jackets here. Expensive but worth it.

Used daily contacts for a while , but found my eyes getting sore when it was dusty and lost a few when it was cold due to eyes watering, despite wearing cycling gigs as well.
    Switched to some Oakley prescripions with the photochromic lenses – love ’em.

banks

Sorry for the hijack but saves me starting a thread. Anyone care to recommend an optician/contact lense person in the Marple/Manchester/peaks area please

Bolle specs – got a normal pair and a tinted pair from one of the online places a few years back. Not the gnar sporty type frames so can wear them off the bike without looking too much of an idiot.

GaryLake

Prescription Racing Jackets (new name for Jawbones) here. Again expensive but I don’t get on with contacts.

mocha

yeah, this…

Contacts plus Oakleys.
    I wouldn’t go for prescription Oakleys, partly cos of the cost, partly cos I change glasses depending on conditions.

I use monthly disposables from Specsavers.

gribble

Prescription Oakleys. Transition lenses make me look like Team America World Police on occasion, but they were worth the vast cost.

Glasses are a PITA though.

Premier Icon Ogg
    Subscriber

I bought some ‘Vortex Prescription Sports Glasses’ from spex4less, cost me 90 quid which do the job quite nicely – look a bit dorky with clear lenses but I mostly ride at night anyway 😉

Thanks for the suggestions/experiences. Hopefully I wont need them for riding for some time to come.

Premier Icon bullroar
    Subscriber

The real fun starts when you end up with two prescriptions for near and far, expensive variofocal land. I either wear my spare set or distance prescription Oakley transitions and have the readers in the bag in case I have to fettle. Transitions are fine until you hit a dark wooded section at Glentress (for example)on a bright sunny day as they don’t react quick enough, it can get exciting.

hh45

I wear regular (long sight, factor 6.5!!) glasses every waking moment including on commute, MTB and road bike. Never a problem. My prescription needs upping 2-4 years and I’ve never needed to replace them early because of damage. That said I have never landed on my face but i have had all the usual over the handle bars and low hung branch episodes.

I did try contacts for every day use before i was a cyclist and didn’t get on with them and that was the end of that. The current fashion for larger frames has been good from a cycling perspective.

TiRed

Since I acquired my photo-reactive Rudy Rydons with Rx insert, I haven’t worn a contact lens. I’m +5 and the brain soon adapts to the distortion. Just for balance, I wore them in a road race this morning and around Swinley this afternoon. They were peerless for both.

Rudy Project Rydons with photochromatic impact X lenses with an RX insert for my varifocus prescription lenses. Cost ££££s but they look good & perform well. Plus I use them for windsurfing too with a neoprene strap. I can’t wear contacts easy ..

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Bespectacled MTBers’ is closed to new replies.