Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Berm technique
  • eulach

Pedals level, outside foot forward or weight completely on the outside foot?

jam-bo

level.

outside foot down is trying to pull the bike upright.

annebr
    Free Member

I was told inside pedal down

woody2000

Wherever you put your feet, don’t forget to make some shapes and do a gnarr face or you just ain’t shredding.

WWDD?

discoduck
    Free Member

And brake going into it ! Like every one else does
    Shutting off speed and kicking up dust gives the impression that your fast !

BoomBip

Wherever you put your feet, don’t forget to make some shapes and do a gnarr face or you just ain’t shredding.

WWDD?

😆

I am Doddy! Hear me ROARRRRRR!

legend
    Free Member

annebr – Member
    I was told inside pedal down
    POSTED 17 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

You need to find a new coach.

Unless that’s a funny way of saying pedals level (where the inside would be slightly lower) but still find a new coach.

outside foot forward

some riders can/do switch front foot for turns, but only if they are just as comfy with either foot forward. Otherwise it’ll screw you up moar than help.

andeh

Cranks level, you can apply more downward pressure and pump the turn. Also, if a tyre slips, you’re in a better position to react with your weight and catch without it washing out completely 8)

richmtb

Pedals level I would say

Vision is just as important though, look through the corner to where you are going.

I find if I concentrate on vision I can always go faster through a bend

honourablegeorge

richmtb – Member
    Pedals level I would say

Vision is just as important though, look through the corner to where you are going.

+1

New berm in my local trails with a sort of gap jump just after it – really have to focus on looking ahead to get it right.

_tom_
    Free Member

I do outside pedal down out of habit and it feels better being more over the front, but if they’re tight and bigger berms then it can feel good to have pedals level and pump it 🙂

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

look through the corner to where you are going.

Don’t mean to be picky but looking where you want to go rather than where you are going will usually work much better … at times there’s a big difference between the two 😉

convert

I’ve got a set of berms I really struggle to ride fast…..8 of them in a row with little to no straight between them and a total height loss of about 30-40m from first to last. You can’t ride full speed and have to brake at some point but should you be braking at the exit of the last as you go into the the next or generally dragging the whole way down?

jambalaya
    Free Member

Search through Jedi’s blog updates (uk bike skills) I think you’ll find a pretty consistent approach

RobHilton
    Free Member

convert – Member
    I’ve got a set of berms I really struggle to ride fast…..8 of them in a row with little to no straight between them and a total height loss of about 30-40m from first to last.

Sounds like Fineshades??

Edit: Probly not this

dragging the whole way down

AdamW
    Free Member

Outside pedal down. Push on inside bar.

Hopes that what Jedi said anyway else I’ll get an earful 😀

Tom83

Feet off the pedals yelling weeeeeeeeee! also works.

Northwind

“outside pedal down” but it means all things to all men, everything from “just barely below flat” to “totally 100% down- close to 50% of all possible foot positions in fact.

richmtbguru
    Free Member

richmtb – Member
    Pedals level I would say

POSTED 2 HOURS AGO # REPORT-POST

Absolutely! One thing I always made sure my clients would do before a race was to go through it in their heads the night before, spend a few hours going down a local downhill course in your head and visualise yourself going around the berm, feel every bump going around, try to make it as relaxing as possible, perhaps put some soothing music on in the background. Make sure to kill your speed before the berm, and learn to throw your hips into it, once you’ve mastered this technique in your head you then need to put it into practice out on the course, always check you have adequate grip on your pedals or if wearing spds make sure they’re not too tight as you may need to get them out early while going around, the berm. Good luck with your task and always wear a helmet. 🙂

honourablegeorge

convert – Member

I’ve got a set of berms I really struggle to ride fast…..8 of them in a row with little to no straight between them and a total height loss of about 30-40m from first to last

Sounds like great fun, that.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Look at the exit of the corner as early as possible and the bike will follow. Going on the high outside entry can avoid the inevitable braking bumps, then dive down into the exit if you’re a bit slow, or rail around if you are going fast enough.

robhenry85
    Free Member

best tips ive had is to go in high and look where you want to go not just with your head but shoulders, chest and even hips.

edit – just like buzz said 😉 great minds eh!

yacoby
    Free Member

Isn’t the idea of weighting the outside foot to maximize the downwards force applied through the bike over the tires?

So it depends surly on how much you are leaning in relation to the angle of the berm? If you have got are at a greater angle than the banking then put the outside pedal down (unless you don’t have time to change due to the next berm or whatever). *shrugs*

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Whichever foot is opposite the side of the tyre that is trying to grip the ground.

So, if you mince around a left hander berm the right side of the tyre will be in contact with the ground so you want your left foot down.

If you rip around the berm and the left side of the tyre is on the ground, right foot down.

If you gust sort of ride around, centre of tyre flat to the ground, ie, leaning but at 90 degrees to the ground on the berm, weight on both feet.

That’s my opinion anyway.

kudos100
    Free Member

Depends on how steep the berm is and how fast you are going. On a vertical berm no point in dropping the outside foot and you can push with both feet. On a shallow berm you may weight the outside foot a bit to give you more grip.

There is no definitive right or wrong way (unless you a dropping the inside foot 😉 )

asterix
    Free Member

If the berm is quite big (say a 180 degree right hand turn with about 2 m of drop) is it good to enter it with a slight left to make sure you are at the top edge of the berm ?

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Berm technique’ is closed to new replies.