Berlingo Multispace(ists) – should I?

Home Forum Chat Forum Berlingo Multispace(ists) – should I?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Berlingo Multispace(ists) – should I?
  • chrisdiesel

Irish Berlingo is the same (minor spec changes and will probably have rear wipers? Uk spec don’t have them)
    Xtr is a later version unless it’s an abused ex taxi with no/dodgy service history then they are a great car/van
    And the xtr is the one to have, change the oil when you get it with fully syth oil and enjoy.
    I had one last week loved it.

Premier Icon slowoldgit
    Subscriber

Can’t comment on the diesel, but the boxy shape gives lots of room. The petrol model overtakes well at moderate speeds and loads. However it suffers in headwinds, isn’t too bad in sidewinds. There are seven corners you can’t see properly to worry about. Sliding rear doors are good in car parks. Lots of little cubby-holes that aren’t much use, unless you have triangular CDs.

(edit) Mine has rear wiper, it’s on constantly in any rain. I wouldn’t like to be without one.

northernmatt

Looking at new (secondhand) cars and other than the usual Focus/Astra size dreariness I’ve had a quick look at Berlingo this afternoon. Missus was very impressed with the amount of space in as was I. Is there anything I’d need to know that could put me off? Looking at 1.6HDI, preferably the XTR one with the aircon box ticked.

The one I looked at today was originally registered in Ireland, I may be being daft here but does that affect the insurance or anything?

john_drummer

Some issues with the rear suspension. Check it out on http://www.honestjohn.co.uk for more details

bikemike1968

Don’t touch the psa 1.6 hdi engine.
    Extremely well documented (read the link above) – loads of info out there all saying one thing – avoid.
    The petrol engines are reliable enough (although not particularly refined or economical) and the 2.0 diesel is fine.

1 shed

I’ve got an old one, so far brilliant. Loads of space. When loaded up you can still put your bike on the parcel shelf in bits and see out.

northernmatt

I was aware of the turbo problems on the same engine fitted to Ford cars as I thought they had different oil line routing but didn’t think it was an issue that affected citroens. May steer well clear after this then.

Skoda?

rob81

I thought a meticulous attention to oil quality and reduced oil change intervals went a long way toward eliminating the turbo problem on the 1.6 hdi/tdci.

Premier Icon maccruiskeen
    Subscriber

I thought a meticulous attention to oil quality and reduced oil change intervals went a long way toward eliminating the turbo problem on the 1.6 hdi/tdci.

shhhh. I’m banking on the 1.6 engined berlingos being almost unsellably cheap when I next come to buy so lets keep everyone thinking that one avoidable issue condemns the whole car 🙂

northernmatt

rob81 – Member

Going off what I’ve read it looks like there is a filter on the oil feed to the turbo that should be changed at every service. If it doesn’t get done then the turbo goes pop. Cambelt recommended at 4yrs regardless of mileage as well which the one I’ve been looking at is coming up to.

Redbus

I’ve got a 60 plate 1.6hdi poverty spec (75 bhp) . Is a company car. Thrashed for 93k and has been reliable. Rear tyre wear is twice as fast as the front, well documented rear suspension issue. Citroën deny it.

Eloys dpf additive tank needs refilling every 90k ams costs a few hundred quid.

northernmatt

So I did it and I collect it Wednesday. Oddly excited about it considering it’s essentially a posh van.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Berlingo Multispace(ists) – should I?’ is closed to new replies.