Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Berlingo Multispace or similar?
  • strugglinon
    Free Member

Looking at a getting to work car for me.

ive had vans in the past, but there’s the odd time I need to collect the ankle biters from school, so I need more than just the two seats.

looking for cheap to run and a budget of up to 2k

are these little Citroens as good as they look?

Really handy for putting the bikes/climbing kit in ?

Or am I deluding myself and will end up with a Pope Mobile?

many thanks

tog575
    Free Member

You can probably get one for less than 1k. Had mine for just over a year now, very reliable and cheap to run but yes they look like a mini hearse. Can get a hell of lot of power tools and site stuff in mine. Front wheel off, the bike goes in at an angle, unless you have an old school 26” which will probably go in straight. 1.9d the most reliable but slow, 2.0hdi better on motorways and I get 55mpg,

trail_rat
    Free Member

I sold a 1.9d multispace in as near to mechanically mint condition as you will get for a 14 year old car about 6 weeks ago for 650.

It had in the last 2 years a new rear axle , all the brakes refurbed and new pads/disks/slaves , shoes snd drums .FSH , timing belt etc done with proof and a brand new windscreen+12 months MOT.

I only moved to a newer Peugeot partner as wife’s been using it for transporting her school kids about and I didn’t feel good with it having the safety of a motorcycle and sidecar…..new one has better side impact , full curtain airbags , abs and esp etc.

strugglinon
    Free Member

That’s good to know, thanks.

they look so practical that they’re hard to see past.

we’ve just returned from two weeks in France and they’re absolutely everywhere.

Gotta be a reason.

Cheers for the review!

Graeme

mikertroid
    Free Member

T-R

Can you sleep 2 adults in back length-ways with 2 bikes (front wheels off) inside?

alric
    Free Member

can get 2 bikes standing up in the back with the seats down.so easy to bung the bike in the back sideways, and get changed in it

power is ok (2litre) but only 99 so far, on a private road obviously

drowned it, put petrol in it,etc, no pomprem

fan doesnt do much in this weather, and iirc feet get cold otherwise

cassette player is a bit complicated though

Any ladies want  testing for this 2 people /bikes thing?

rene59
    Free Member

Comfortable enough with one person and one bike but unless you stripped down the bikes and slept on top of them I wouldn’t even want to try it with two people.

avdave2

I’ve got a Doblo that’s now 14 years old and it’s been a great car. I always say on these threads that these type of cars are the cars no one wants and everyone needs. When this dies I’ll be looking for something similar.

strugglinon
    Free Member

My thoughts exactly.

We’ve got a Vectra estate, which is cavernous and so far, very reliable.

The Berlingo or similar will be to replace an Xtrail which was an unbelievable money pit.

Comfy, yes. Big and chunky looking, yes but what a consumer of parts it became.

Time to use head over heart methinks, and these little cars look great.

rhid

I had an 08 Berlingo multispace and loved it. I could sleep in the back (but I am short) with 2 bikes and assorted kit. I think 2 people would be pushing it.

Whydot

I had a 2004 Berlingo, 2.0HDi. Great car until the head gasket went. It was a bit of a sink for money on parts to keep it running though. Had a number of entertaining ‘french’ quirks though, my favourite was the full beams coming on whenever I used the indicators.

That said, the novelty of a 2.0 HDi greenhouse on wheels was a lot of fun – I was able to sleep in the back (6ft 2ish) with the passenger seat pushed forward, with a bike next to me, and a surfboard stored above me. Would be a squeeze for two and bikes, I wouldn’t like to try it myself!

nerd
    Free Member

Skoda Roomsters are also worth looking at.  We love ours.

They’re a bit smaller than a Berlingo / Partner but more like a car than a van in terms of driving and interior “refinement” (it’s a Skoda so not too refined!)

DickBarton

I’d say 2 bodies and 2 bikes inside is going to be very tight – dpeending on what else you do the vehicle…removing rear seats and the middle body and bike are going to be rather close.

I’m 6′ 1″ and I need to sleep squint in the back of mine as I can’t get the front passenger seat far enough forward to lie flat, saying that 1 body and 1 bike is perfectly doable and I’ve had great sleeps in like that.

2 and 2 though…I’m not sure…

DickBarton

Posted in wrong thread!

strugglinon
    Free Member

Just had a squint on eBay at the Roomsters. They look really good too.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Berlingo Multispace or similar?’ is closed to new replies.