Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Berghaus rucksack?
  • matt_outandabout

Has anyone got one of the larger 65lt ones? They look like rebadged Chinese generic rather than good quality, but then Berghaus are ok brand…

Alternative suggestions for 55-65lt pack on under £100 budget for 6′ son of mine. This is for DofE through leaving home.

We’ve already got (old) Karrimor Alpinists 60, excellent Deuter 55-60, two (old skool) Lowe Alpines (comfy and heavy). Looking for fewer pockets and faff.

No Osprey.

Usually we would go look at a few in person to choose…

vanilla83
    Free Member

I’ve had the Berghaus Jalan 60+10 for years and it’s coped with all sorts and still going very strong.

ElShalimo

Gregory packs are fab but expensive. There’s been some very good deals recently on Sportpursuit and Rock &Run websites

tjagain

lightwave? I have the wildtrek 70 and its the best rucksac I have used. Properly waterproof as well ( although t’missus one the waterproofing failed) Saved me over a kilo

BadlyWiredDog

My experience with Berghaus Packs has generally been okay bar the weird, plasticky thing with floating harness system they did a few years back, but for bombproof, well thought-out performance I’d go with Lowe Alpine every time. I know one of the pack designers there and the amount of testing and development that goes into stuff – from fabrics and construction through to field testing – is genuinely impressive. Lighter than they used to be as well.

There’s a large version of the Altus, erm, 52:57 which is over budget but, if the 42:47 is anything to go by would carry really nicely as long as you don’t chronically overload it. Might be worth a shot if you can find a discounted one. Around £120 on eBay from Germany.

Or maybe something like this for a more traditional big pack gig:
    https://www.millets.co.uk/equipment/331237-manaslu.html

househusband

No Osprey.

@matt_outandabout

I’m curious why?

matt_outandabout

I’ve seen a few fall apart that fellow instructors used for a single season, lots of torn mesh as well. And I think they’re well over ‘featured’.

But then I favour the big hole, two compression straps, one lid pocket, a flat back system and made out of Cordura of my old Alpiniste . It’s a 1994 vintage and in unable to wear it out.

househusband

Cool, thanks for explaining. I’ve always been an Osprey fan but then most of my Osprey packs are MTB packs and the newest several years old. Do have one that I bought 2yrs ago, a large 65l pack, for DofE but I’ll be selling it as I’m not involved in it anymore – only used once. And it is one of the heavily featured packs you mention!

BadlyWiredDog

But then I favour the big hole, two compression straps, one lid pocket, a flat back system and made out of Cordura of my old Alpiniste . It’s a 1994 vintage and in unable to wear it out.

Mine went back three times for repairs to stitching. I know what you mean though, a proper classic, simple alpine sack from before when alpine packs got lighter and more scrawny. I suspect the nearest modern equivalent would be a Macpac Sentinel or similar, but big bucks.

Once you get down below £100, back systems and foam densities tend to get quite basic, I think. Which is why I like Lowe Alpine, they seem to have stuff like that and the shape of lumbar pads etc, nailed.

Or Arc’teryx, again if you can find one at an affordable price – good luck with that, though SP occasionally has them. The outdoors industry’s dirty secret is that everyone seems to use Arc’teryx packs when they think no-one can see them. Sorry, that wasn’t much practical use.

BadlyWiredDog

I’ve seen a few fall apart that fellow instructors used for a single season, lots of torn mesh as well. And I think they’re well over ‘featured’.

I think that’s true of a lot of their hiking packs, but my Osprey Raptor bike pack has been absolutely bombproof. I suspect the Mutants would do okay too, but yes, I’ve seen the stretchy mesh stuff die fast and they are a bit fussy.

kcal

some bugger nicked my old Alpiniste in about 1991, still bitter.
    The newer one was OK but not the same bombproof ness.

matt_outandabout

Ok, the alternative to a £60 Berghaus is an £80 Vaude Asymmetric 52+8. I’m a big fan of Vaude – anyone got one of these?

Superficial
    Free Member

Matt are you in Sheffield? I have A Berghaus Bioflex 65+10 c7 that I don’t need any more. It’s kind of old (probably 10-15years) but rarely used and in great condition. £15? Can send pics if you’re interested.

matt_outandabout

Thanks Superficial – we’re in Dunblane now. It’s also his birthday present, and I think he wants shiny new…

ElShalimo

I’ve got a couple of Vaude bags. They’re excellent quality just like Deuter.

ElShalimo

This might be perfect for you, not sure if your lad will like it though. He will be able to watch his grandkids use it…

https://www.aiguillealpine.co.uk/product/rucksacks-bags/cc0142/

murdooverthehill

If you change your mind re buying new I’ve also got a Bergie C65+10C7 that’s as good as new, only been used for 3 or 4 bothy trips. Bought as a replacement for an ageing Alpiniste55 that was finally succumbing to old age – much like its owner. Finally realised my days of big mountain trips were over (can’t complain, had a good 4 decade’s worth) and its been lying in the bottom of a cupboard ever since.
    I’m in Paisley if you are ever down this way and would like a gander.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Berghaus rucksack?’ is closed to new replies.