Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Bergen. What's it like?
  • tuboflard

Thinking of doing a weekend city break to Bergen, Norway, at some point in the spring or early summer next year. Has anyone been to the city before, or know if I will just get bored within a day if there isn’t much to do? I’d like to see some scenery, perhaps get a bit of skiing in at somewhere like Fonna.

Be honest though, if its eye wateringly expensive and dull, I’ll give it a miss as don’t want to waste hard earned annual leave.

welshfarmer

I went there for half a day a few years back as a stop-off on a drive round camping trip of Southern Norway with the GF. Breathtakingly pretty location but it did rain the whole time we were there. Don’t remember too much other than whale meat for sale in the market and the old Hanseatic district with the old wooden buildings. Not sure if there would be that much to occupy a longer stay without transport.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Isn’t it the rainiest city in Europe?

tuboflard

Cheers WF, don’t mind the rain particularly and equally not too fussed if we don’t see too much outside the city limits so long as there are things to keep you busy within walking distance. Could consider hiring a car for a couple of days and hit the mountains, guessing roads are pretty quiet over there (compared to the UK at least)

midlifecrashes

Went for a few days for work back in the 90s. Lovely place, I’d say enough for a weekend easily, but maybe not weeks(this may have changed in 20+ years). Have a look at Norway in a nutshell tours if you want to see further afield. We had fun being thrown from a rig into the fjord in a free fall lifeboat and messing about in RIBs with big engines, but these may not be available to tourists. Yes, it will be expensive.

bikebouy
    Free Member

This time of year ?

Bloody cold mate.

tuboflard

suburbanreuben – Member
    Isn’t it the rainiest city in Europe?

Is it? Mind you, I regularly go camping in Borrowdale, the wettest place in England (or something) so don’t mind getting wet. Can make it a bit miserable though, granted.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

We called in while on a cruise in August this year. Had a ride on the furnicular/cable/whatever it was train, up the mountain which was good but didn’t get time to do much else, apart from have a wander round the town which was lovely. The fish market’s worth a look but re-mortgage the house if you want to buy anything there!

Touristy stuff wasn’t crazy prices mind & the Mrs got a nice padded jacket of some Norwegian origin for £80.

Nice place.

tuboflard

bikebouy – Member
    This time of year ?

Bloody cold mate.Cold, or really cold? Again, don’t mind it being “fresh” (spent a winter in British Columbia so used to proper cold), though can’t speak for the missus. Would have thought it being a maritime climate it’d be mostly damp cold (which I guess can be worse).

Cheers midlifecrashes, I’d probably only go for a weekend, definitely not a week.

Cheers too esselgruntfuttock, sounds like the sort of spot for a weekend at least.

IHN

We were there for a day a few years ago. Nine quid for a piece of apple cake, that’s all I’m saying.

Lifer
    Free Member

Went in Feb and did the Norway in a nutshell tour, train from Bergen – Vos, fjord cruise to Flam, the scenic railway into the mountains then back to Bergen. One day, need to wrap up but spectacular scenery. Bergen is a lovely city we stayed in the First Hotel Marin which is just near the Bryggen UNESCO world heritage site and there’s the funicular railway so it’s easy to do another day in Bergen.

As said it’s expensive but well worth it IMO, food was amazing.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Friend spent some time there when sailing and loved it. Visually a stunning place, combination of harbour, city and mountains, what’s not to like ?

Yes it’s expensive but Norway is a rich country. (You can pay £9 and more for a piece of cake in London or Paris btw)

import
    Free Member

Fantastic city – one of those where the first thing we did on getting home was give serious consideration to relocating there.

I remember the final approach to the airport above the fjords being spectacular, so a daytime flight might be best. Plenty to do for a long weekend, if the weather is good a trip up the funicular and hike around the top is worthwhile, as is a fjord cruise, which aren’t terribly expensive. If the weather is bad (it will be) then there’s a lot to see around the Bryggen/harbour area without breaking the bank.

We stayed in a self catering apartment called Gullakassen (?) which was very reasonably priced by Norwegian standards, run by some lovely people who were very accommodating when we kept asking to stay a few days longer.

It did rain a lot!

tuboflard

Cheers all. Sounds like the sort of place I’d like to go. I’ll just have to save up and take a pack up too.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Bergen. What's it like?’ is closed to new replies.