Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Bergen in June
  • everyone
    Free Member

I’m going to Bergen in June for a few days with the more sensible half, any STW top tips?

Don’t tell me the beer is expensive, I already know! Bonus points for places that aren’t scandinavianally expensive.

johndoh
    Free Member

Good luck with that. Every single thing is expensive. You’ll need the expensive beer to numb the pain of everything else.

fooman

Preikestolen is a short ferry / drive away worth a trip for the views.

I hope you are self catering even McDonald’s is painfully expensive, if you are take as much food as you can you’ll weep buying a four quid packet of spaghetti. Petrol is cheap though.

allthegear
    Free Member

Priekestolen is fab.

If you hire a car, don’t speed – it’s eye-wateringly expensive to get caught

Rachel

fooman

Unfortunately I’ve mixed up my ports it’s Stavanger that Preikestolen is near, sorry. Check the day Bergen fish market is on it’s great to browse,  visit the Christmas shop (all year), take the funicular / walk the cliff.

househusband

http://www.pingvinen.no/

We found this place and ended up eating there a few times, the prices were so reasonable that we even had a few drinks.  Also had a whale steak… a once in a lifetime thing never to be repeated.  This was about ten years ago, hopefully hasn’t changed much.

StirlingCrispin

The rail network opens up places like Voss – Norway’s outdoor capital – so you can use that to access the Flam mountain railway etc.

I’ve been to Bergen four times in June – and it’s rained every bloody time.

stevextc
    Free Member

Unfortunately I’ve mixed up my ports it’s Stavanger that Preikestolen is near,

It’s just about drivable from Bergen as well given the day light hours in June. Its about the same drive using the coast and ferry or through the national park (which is a temperate rain forest)

There is (or used to be) a Fast Cat Ferry thing between them… stops at Haugesund as well.

bugpowderdust
    Free Member

Hardangerfjord is a couple of hours drive if you rent a car, decent scenery on the way, decent hikes, could be in full bloom in the orchards if very early june too, could go up to Folgefonna to ski on glacier if you want to. Been to Utne on Hardanger a couple of times over the last few years, Trolltunga probably not worth it unless you like hiking in a huge group and have to queue for your turn to have your picture taken.

IHN

There was a place on the harbour in Bergen that we went to that wasn’t expensive.

Actually, I lie, it was nine quid for a piece of apple cake. Nine quid!

In seriousness, the funicular up to the top and the walk back down was worth doing. And not dead expensive.

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Go on shoplifting spree !

Joyriding ?

Find a crack den, get pissed and cause some aggro ! Whatever you decide don’t do coke and hookers it’s **** boring

stevextc
    Free Member

There was a place on the harbour in Bergen that we went to that wasn’t expensive.

Actually, I lie, it was nine quid for a piece of apple cake. Nine quid!

In seriousness, the funicular up to the top and the walk back down was worth doing. And not dead expensive.

Prices in Norway are just weird…. on the whole it tends to be stuff that hits you as a visitor… (property prices are pretty cheap or were when I lived there)

At one point I was in a “discount store” (Lobster is really cheap) … and picked up some Shimano shoes, pedals and even a whole decent rigid bike, snowboard …

Then I saw a reduced fan heater…. given our underfloor heating took a week to come on properly and a week to go off I figured it would be good for the spiny autumn … £40 quid… (and his was 10 yrs ago…)

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Bergen in June’ is closed to new replies.