Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Bereavement Help – Counselling/Forums/Other?
  • dooosuk
    Free Member

My mother in law lost her husband 18mths ago and is expressing an interest in seeking some help.

This doesn’t have to be counselling, but she is open to the idea. I think she’d just like to chat to other people in a similar situation to her be honest (she’s the first of her group of friends & family to have lost someone and possibly feels the odd one out a lot of the time).

She’s rang Cruse twice since he died but both times they’ve said they’re busy, would ring her back etc. but haven’t.

She’s also tried the local hospice where her mother and husband both spent their last days. These have also said they’re busy and would get back in touch on a few occasions but haven’t.

Last night she logged onto a random forum for the first time (don’t know which yet…this has just come from the wife who has gone to spend a couple of days with her)…but was scared off after the first answer to her first post. Her first post was along the lines of “I’m new, this is my first post” etc and the reply told her to be careful. Not sure of the reasons why…I don’t think she’d have put any personal details on the site but I’ll talk her through some general rules and suss out any future forums before letting her loose on them.

So, can anyone suggest any good forums or other services to use?

MIL is based in Barnsley if anyone knows of any groups that are local.

Thanks

hels
    Free Member

She could ask her local GP or local council perhaps ? Every time I go to Docs there seems to be hundreds of flyers and posters for that sort of thing.

pingu66
    Free Member

I would ask the local funeral service if they knew of a local group. Failing that there is the Lighthouse Trust, Bereavment UK, Funnerals Uk. Sorry just from Google, even NHS direct, your GP as suggested and Direct.gov.

Can you and the family offer some support until you can find someone independent or the right kind of support wether its emotional or practical. I am sure you have and I know its difficult, even just making the calls for her to find whats available locally. I understand how difficult this can be as I was in a very similar situation. Good luck and I hope you do find what she needs.

SaxonRider

pingu66 speaks wisely. A good funeral home should definitely be able to point her in the right direction.

If she has any religion, she may find her priest/minister/rabbi etc., of help if she needs to talk.

pingu66
    Free Member

I forgot about the church, good call Saxon.

One thing I will say, if she is suffering, and I mean that with the greatest respect, she may just need that help to organise the first steps.

dooosuk
    Free Member

Thanks for the suggestions.

She’s quite prepared to help organise the first steps, but I guess is just disheartened by her experiences with Cruse and local hospice.

We’ll keep searching…thanks.

dooosuk
    Free Member

Any further suggestions from the day/lunch time crowd?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Bereavement Help – Counselling/Forums/Other?’ is closed to new replies.